sardonyx

Kismet config

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've been trying to get kismet running on my laptop and ran into an issue.

First thing i did, was "yum install kismet" which it proceeded to do and said it installed successfully.

So, i typed "kismet" from the terminal and got

"Waiting for server to start before starting UI...

FATAL: Could not find user 'your_user_here' for dropping priviledges. Make sure you have a valid user set for 'suiduser' in your config file. See the 'Installation & Security' and 'Configuration' sections of the README file for more information."

Which made me think, ok the config file needs to be setup, so I go to /usr/local/etc, and there's nothing in that directory!

So, i figured kismet was setup wrong or something...so i've been trying to compile it on my own. But now when ever i try to run ./configure i get

"configure: WARNING: uclibc++ not available on this system

checking for main in -lstdc++... no

configure: WARNING: libstdc++ not available on this system

configure: error: Neither uclibc uClibc++ or standard gcc stdc++ libraries found.

"

I've been scouring yahoo searching for uclibc and stdc ++ rpm's, everything I have found has not worked at all.

So, can someone point me to the correct files kismet is looking for? Or tell me if i should just copy/paste a config file and throw it in /usr/local/etc?

Hey guys,

I've been trying to get kismet running on my laptop and ran into an issue.

First thing i did, was "yum install kismet" which it proceeded to do and said it installed successfully.

So, i typed "kismet" from the terminal and got

"Waiting for server to start before starting UI...

FATAL: Could not find user 'your_user_here' for dropping priviledges. Make sure you have a valid user set for 'suiduser' in your config file. See the 'Installation & Security' and 'Configuration' sections of the README file for more information."

Which made me think, ok the config file needs to be setup, so I go to /usr/local/etc, and there's nothing in that directory!

So, i figured kismet was setup wrong or something...so i've been trying to compile it on my own. But now when ever i try to run ./configure i get

"configure: WARNING: uclibc++ not available on this system

checking for main in -lstdc++... no

configure: WARNING: libstdc++ not available on this system

configure: error: Neither uclibc uClibc++ or standard gcc stdc++ libraries found.

"

I've been scouring yahoo searching for uclibc and stdc ++ rpm's, everything I have found has not worked at all.

So, can someone point me to the correct files kismet is looking for? Or tell me if i should just copy/paste a config file and throw it in /usr/local/etc?

The config should be /etc/kismet.conf

Mine installed under /usr/etc/kismet/kismet.conf I believe, but I compiled form source on Slackware. I used the whereis command to find it

whereis kismet

This gave me the path to both the executable and the config file. There should be an example config in there to base things off of. It's where you specify things like the user to kick down to, the interface you want to use, and the chipset of that interface. If you build from source, you can also tell kismet to install suid-root, which means users without root permissions can run it.

I'm having the same problem using SuSE 10.1, I'm a bit of a noob at linux and all I know is how to do makefile

So far, I've typed ./configure and its given me the same error as the first post stated.

then tried ./kismet.conf and it it said there was no such file.

What do I do from here?

Try running 'ldconfig' as root and then try again. If that doesn't help then make sure the libraries exist on your system (you can use locate or find) and then enter the path to the libraries in the ld.so.conf file and run ldconfig again. My ld.so.conf looks like the following:

nullkraft@bear:~$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf

/usr/X11R6/lib

/usr/i486-slackware-linux/lib

/opt/kde/lib

/usr/lib/qt/lib

/usr/lib

/usr/local/lib

/usr/local/lib/pstoedit

I'm having the same problem using SuSE 10.1, I'm a bit of a noob at linux and all I know is how to do makefile

So far, I've typed ./configure and its given me the same error as the first post stated.

then tried ./kismet.conf and it it said there was no such file.

What do I do from here?

i use suse 10.1 on my laptop, what i found useful is to install kismet from the CD, then uninstall it. What that will do is install the required packages that kismet needs. but u need to uninstall kismet becuase it does not put the files where they "should" be, so to make it a billion times easier for you, go download the newest kismet, and in the terminal do the ./configure thing and it should work.

hope that helps

Your system doesn't have libc installed because well, they don't expect you to install anything from source they want you to 'yum' everything. Kismet was installed correctly you just need to set up the config file to work properly. It's not software you just download and run like most things, it requires you to actually RTFM before running.