matt

Delete the undeletable folder~!

21 posts in this topic

readgj3.png

I have a folder in my storage HDD that I cant delete.

deleteou3.jpg

I had it split into two partitions, and had Vista on one. I didnt like Vista, so I decided to give myself more space for storing files. I formatted the other drive, then when I tried to use Partition Magic to merge the two drives into one, it asked me what I wanted to do with the files left on the one that would merge into storage. There were no files, but I had to give it a name for the folder.

I named it 'lol' and now its stuck there with nothing in it, and undeletable. What should I do?

Edit: I had to edit this and add the attention grabbing picture, because nobody is even reading what I typed. I should'nt have to do that.

Edited by matt

If you're comfortable with linux you could boot up a live-cd distro and use that to delete the folder. If not then you could try booting into safe-mode then right-click on the file and turn off the "System" and/or "Read-only" attributes and try deleting. The problem is that windows will still protect some files no matter what you do, like index.dat files. Usually it won't even allow you to see them.

Edited by nullkraft

That is a folder that is automatically created on any hard disk in a machine that is accessed by Windows.

If you're comfortable with linux you could boot up a live-cd distro and use that to delete the folder. If not then you could try booting into safe-mode then right-click on the file and turn off the "System" and/or "Read-only" attributes and try deleting. The problem is that windows will still protect some files no matter what you do, like index.dat files. Usually it won't even allow you to see them.

What distro should I use? So far every time I try doing that it tells me it cant do anything with NTFS filesystems. Nothing with linux can delete windows stuff.

That is a folder that is automatically created on any hard disk in a machine that is accessed by Windows.

What? What are you talking about? Did you read my post?

What distro should I use? So far every time I try doing that it tells me it cant do anything with NTFS filesystems. Nothing with linux can delete windows stuff.

Knoppix version 5.0+ is able to write to NTFS. (Which also means you can delete stuff too.)

Edited by arewhyainn

MiniPE would be bale to achieve this too, as far as I know...

If I remember correctly, that folder is created on any drive that is formatted with NTFS within windows XP.

If I remember correctly, that folder is created on any drive that is formatted with NTFS within windows XP.

WTF, are you even reading what he wrote? He used partiton magic and partitomagic ask him where he wanted to put the files for the partiton he was removing. and he named it "lol" (laugh out loud (i think that's what he was going for.)). there is no folder in window's root of (C:) named lol (unless you put it there). And when you format a drive in any filesystem there are no files to begin with.

I really hate it when people post stuff when they have very little knowledge about the subject or any for that matter.

read the error message

"Cannot remove folder System Volume Information:Access is denied"

That is the file they are talking about, and is indeed created on any NTFS drive that Windows 2k/xp/2003 and presumably Vista accesses. There does exist a file. Completely delete the partition in question, you should still be able to do that. Just leave it as unpartitioned space, reboot and you should be able to increase the size of your primary partition and add the unpartitioned space to it.

K, look.

I have two partitions, C and D. C has windows XP installed on it. D is just an NTFS formatted storage partition. I took some space out of D and created F to install vista on. I did not like vista, so I formatted F as NTFS. It then had nothing in it.

I wanted to use partition magic to recombine D and F, so D would be larger for storing my files (video, music, pics, etc) in one location.

Before allowing me to continue, it forced me to create a folder on D that would hold all the files from F after F was merged back into D. There were no files on F, but I had to give it a name anyway. I named it something like hjkfhdhf. Just garbage, thinking I would delete after a simple reboot. The partitions merged, and now I am left with D, and the data that I had on it already along with the extra space from F.

But I still had the folder hjkfhdhf in D. I didnt want it there, and tried deleting with safe mode. Didnt work. So I tried using cmd to delete it. I was not able to delete it or move it, but I was able to rename it 'lol' with cmd.

Now when I try to delete it I get the error message I posted above, in my original post. (that is, if you actually bothered to read it)

So, the new Knoppix works? Thanks for helping. I'll try that.

Everybody read it... and the ones YOU did not understand were referring to it being a SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION, as it shows in the shot of the error message... If you would quit worrying about if they read it or not, and try what they suggest, maybe you would have the problem solved by now

Get rid of that flashing gif and replace it with something that doesn't flash.

I would have an image there at all if people would read the post. It doesnt flash now though.

Everybody read it... and the ones YOU did not understand were referring to it being a SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION, as it shows in the shot of the error message... If you would quit worrying about if they read it or not, and try what they suggest, maybe you would have the problem solved by now

I understand that the error message mentions SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION, but that doesnt mean windows put the folder there. Windows was never installed on my D partition. The error message doesnt seem to be correct.

And the reason I made a point about people not reading is because they are wasting their own and my time with the replies they posted. One guy suggested that I delete the whole partition. Im not trying to delete a partition, just a folder. Stop trying to correct me for two seconds and help if your going to bother replying.

Thanks.

Edited by matt

whenever I have run into something like this, I had always removed the drive and attached it to another PC. this could be done with an EIDE/SATA to USB adapter. you may want to do a ghost image before you do anything else.

Edited by mikes

I would have an image there at all if people would read the post. It doesnt flash now though.

I understand that the error message mentions SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION, but that doesnt mean windows put the folder there. Windows was never installed on my D partition. The error message doesnt seem to be correct.

And the reason I made a point about people not reading is because they are wasting their own and my time with the replies they posted. One guy suggested that I delete the whole partition. Im not trying to delete a partition, just a folder. Stop trying to correct me for two seconds and help if your going to bother replying.

Thanks.

If you split the disk using Windows and thusly created the partition *using* Windows, this folder is REQUIRED by Windows to be there. If in any way this D:\ partition is recognized by Windows, it'll put this Volume folder there. This is *why* you cannot delete this folder. Do a little research on it.

If you use something called "Unlocker", it should allow you to delete this but given this folder's needfulness I do not suggest you delete it.

i'll take a stab at it.

Go to Start, run, cmd

cd d:

dir

see if it shows you that lol directory.

type del d:\lol

if that doesn't work try

del "lol"

or 'lol" or \lol\.

Since it is the System Volume directory (renamed or not), I bet you have simple file sharing on and it's preventing your attempt at deleting it. Make sure you have hide protected files and show hidden and all that crap unchecked in the tools options so you can see lol (sounds like thats covered already), and in the same place uncheck use simple file sharing. OK out of it and go to the security tab (bear with me, Im not on windows atm). You can then use add to add a user or group access to the directory. Make sure that you give that user full control. You should then be able to modify it, delete it, whatever. I know you can read and write inside the directory now, but I am admittedly unsure if you can delete the whole thing, since I never have. You should be able to though.

(Safe Mode also wouldn't have the simple file sharing service running, you could probably boot into that and jump right to the user/group access and permissions unless you checked those in your last safe mode boot, you don't have system volume rights by default.)

Before you yell at me too :P, I have to assume the same thing liht did. That it's a sys vol dir. Keep in mind once it is gone, I am pretty sure system restore is useless. At least on that partition.

Does System have the privileges to delete it? If it did then you could just use that privilege escalation trick posted a while back to become System and then go from there.

Does System have the privileges to delete it? If it did then you could just use that privilege escalation trick posted a while back to become System and then go from there.

If you actually read the privelege escalation trick thread you'll discover that it doesn't work in XP SP2. The peopel who said that it did work later realized that they were doing the trick as system admins and they already had the priveleges.

I just had an idea. The dang folder is empty, why am I going through all this trouble? I'll make it hidden and uncheck show hidden files/folders. Easy fix.

EDIT: Thanks everyone for helping. :)

Edited by matt