hbp71605

Steve Irwin Died

20 posts in this topic

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/News+and+Aler...in+has+died.htm

theres the media release, theres more info on his wikipedia page. Im sure there are tons of articles out there about it. heres te wiki segment

Shortly after 11:00am local time on 4 September 2006, Irwin was fatally pierced in the chest by a stingray barb while diving off Queensland's Great Barrier Reef. The events were caught on camera and the footage is now in the possession of Queensland Police.[22] He had been filming a segment for his daughter Bindi's upcoming television series. Irwin was in the area filming his own documentary, to be called Ocean's Deadliest, but weather had stalled filming. Irwin decided to take the opportunity to film some shallow water shots for his daughter's television program.[23] Irwin contemporary, and internationally known cameraman and spearfisherman, Ben Cropp, after speaking to witnesses, speculated that the stingray "felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead..." In such a case, the animal responds by automatically flexing the serrated barb on its tail (up to 30 centimeters in length) upward. Unfortunately, the motion struck Irwin's chest and pierced his heart.[22] The BBC reported that this was only the second known fatality in Australian history from a stingray attack,[24] while The Age and CNN lists it as the third.[23][25]

The Queensland Police Service notified his family and released a statement for the media concerning his death. News of his death prompted a public outpouring expressing shock and loss. Several Australian news websites went down because of high web traffic[26] and talk-back radio experienced a high volume of callers expressing their grief[27], commemorating his passion and exuberance. Prime Minister John Howard, among many other politicians, expressed his "shock and distress" at the death, saying that "Australia has lost a wonderful and colourful son.”[28] Steve Irwin's body was flown to a morgue in Cairns, where stunned family and friends were gathering on Monday night. His wife Terri was informed of her husband's death while on a walking tour in the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park in Tasmania, and returned to the Sunshine Coast with their two children.

edit: osht. i just saw this is offtopic.. sorreh,,,

Edited by hbp71605

Its sad that hes dead, and in sutch a unusual way, killed by a approximately 2 meters long Sting-Ray.

I'll miss him, but did anyone really believe he'd die of natural causes?

Nah i dident, Come on the guy dances whit Crocks

Steve Irwin's death trips me out for some reason......it is like hearing Lance Armstrong had a heart attack.....

Its sad that hes dead, and in sutch a unusual way, killed by a approximately 2 meters long Sting-Ray.

His documentary was called 'Worlds deadliest' for a reason :)

He knew his 'hobby' and 'job' would put him in danger at some point and I guess this is where it ended for him.

He did some good work for the people and stuff, the downside was when he put his little son in with the Crocs :<

:( this deeply saddens me. He goes around the world pissing off animals, I saw it comming but I can't really believe it. I watched the show lastnight as a tribute to him.

Someone needs to make tribute shirts. somethin' like a black & white picture of him and above it says "Crikey!"

I'd buy it.

....it is like hearing Lance Armstrong had a heart attack.....

Not really, people are hurt to hear about Steve Irwin dying. Unlike Lance Armstrong since all he does is ride a bycicle and sell bracelets.

Man Steve Irwin has a place in my heart and I'm sad he's gone. Unlike some people who say they care but have never watched the show, nor knew who he was prior to this.

Bzzzzt. You don't ride. Lance Armstrong has millions of fans and people whom he single handedly inspired to fight a deadly disease, many of whom would be affected deeply by his passing. I find that very odd myself, but it is true. Here is the difference (No disrespect to Steve or Australia, just trying to speak honestly) : Lanve Armstrong is not a huge factor in the United States economy, rivaled only by The Wiggles in revenue brought in from abroad.

No offense to Lance Armstrong or his idiotic American followers but he's not the only cancer survivor who has done great things.

Lanve Armstrong is not a huge factor in the United States economy

Well I'm just shocked that yuppies would love him. (I'm not calling Right_Coast a yuppie)

Lance Armstrong has millions of fans and people whom he single handedly inspired to fight a deadly disease

Yes, because before the knight in shining armor rode into town on his steed/bicycle when people got cancer they never fought back. They just ate crappy hospital food and died.

Edited by anthrax_postman

One really sad things about this is the fact of all the people that that made jokes of him fictionally dying on TV.

youd think hed die of a more dramatic death. Actually, has anyone heard of that one time- he went to a wild swamp with really big crocodiles, and one almost attacked him, but his friend took the blow and died. Its sad though; i like his showes. theres a slideshow about it on compfused.

apparently there is video...

/me shudders

Is there a torrent out for it yet?

yup, search for "discovery irwin" or "steve irwin discovery" or just "steve irwin"

good luck :)

i just read the post about three up...ok so some dude beats cancer and hes loved? my nan has had cancer three times and lived...shouldn't she get summin?

also i have a really bad toe :( can i atleast have a hug?

oh and for the crock dude..it is sad he should go..he was rather cool and fun to watch, but if you will stick your hand into a dogs mouth..expect to get bitten

i recently read in a magazine that he fell down or something the day before, therefore causing damage i'd imagine, since he probably knew what to do/not to do when stabbed by something like that. i guess he pulled out the tail when it was stabbed into his heart. i guess, from what the article said, if he hadn't done that he may have lived. plus no one sucked out the juice from his heart to get it going again. i guess there were lots of factors involved that may have saved his life. i was also saddened by this, because i used to watch him all the time on tv. anyway, i could just imagine what his family feels like. poor croc family.