Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zal91

Buying a mabook

5 posts in this topic

Hey I am buying a macbook 2.0 ghz white, after I get a job.

I am wondering if I should get 2gb ram at the apple store ($405), or buy after market RAM($~120), and if so what brand/store.

I don't have specific experience with MacBooks, but in my experience the cheap stuff is just as good as the rebranded expensive stuff, as long as it has the same specs. It'd be like buying a 1 GB DDR2 upgrade from Dell for $175 or the same memory, Kingston brand, for $100. I advise everyone around here (engineering school, so we have a lot of programs that actually require that much RAM) to get after market, and so far it's worked perfectly for everyone.

don't go to cheap i put some Viking into my computer (2x 512), and my computer always when I put it under high stress or running alot of apps or a video games will lock up and crash. I replaced the ram with some Kingston tec and my comp works fine now. both the Ram chips where the exact same specs and everything. also if apple does this read the apple manual because some motherboards are will not accept all brands of memory (useally there is no problem).

Edited by batman24

With apple, always go for after market. They price their RAM way way too high.

You can even get the Apple samsung RAM from somewhere else for like $200 cheaper.