Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Magnum I.P.

Remote control access to pc running camera

10 posts in this topic

I'm trying to help the mom & pop store I use to work for setup a secure way for the owner to connect to the pc at the store from his house to be able to watch the cameras. I can only think of using commercial software like Go To My PC. Any suggestions? Both the store pc and the house pc are running XP pro. Cable internet connection. Using Linksys WRT54G on both ends.

I'd recommend something like Pryme:

http://www.hilo.dk/pryme.php

It'll save pictures/movies whenever there's movement. If you want a constant feed, you can use the program in conjunction with something like the AnalogX SimpleHTTP server to have it hosted online. That said, it can automatically up it all to an FTP server. The upshot of doing like this instead of using remote desktop software is that the image quality quality will be better.

I used to use a piece of freeware that did all of that in one package; but for the life of me I can't remember its name. Lion-something-or-rather. Drats.

He doesn't want to save the video on his home pc. He is going to make daily backups on DVD on the store pc. Je just wants to be able to connect to the store pc to check up on the store through the video cameras. I forgot about Remote desktop and VNC. I might try VNC cause I dont trust Remote Desktop from Microsoft. Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know how it goes.

Is VNC and or Remote Desktop going to show video though the internet. I know sometimes they do sometimes they dont. He can get WebCamXP, it supports multiple cameras and is like only 30 dollars. It also allows it to save a copy to the computer in the store and he can watch from home.

What kind of video are we talking about? Bandwidth is going to be a limiting issue on that. For low frame rate cameras (most security cams, ) not really much of a problem. TightVNC is nice as it uses encryption, something that would be a plus.

Remote desktop should work. It wouldn't be my choice over a VNC, but should work, video or not. The way it logs off the users (if logging in under the same name) may be a bigger issue. Having to restart the camera apps.

For people I help out with their comp's remotley I use RealVNC (www.realvnc.com), a limiting factor with the cameras would be that you would get around 1 FPS, but for security cams it should be fine.