kevin mitnics site got hacked & defaced

28 posts in this topic

kevin mitnics site got hacked & defaced

source eweek -> http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-6108032.ht...2&subj=news

mirror of the defacement

http://www.zone-h.org/index2.php?option=co...&id=4642075

kevin6.jpg

Kevin Mitnick Web site hacked

Famed security consultant has tables turned on him when a hacker attacks his site, posts a vulgar message.

By Joris Evers

Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Published: August 21, 2006, 6:40 PM PDT

Tell us what you think about this storyTalkBack E-mail this story to a friendE-mail View this story formatted for printingPrint Add to your del.icio.usdel.icio.us Digg this storyDigg this

Instead of the usual description of Kevin Mitnick, his consulting services and books, the famed hacker's Web site on Sunday displayed a vulgar message.

Online vandals, apparently operating from Pakistan, broke into the computer hosting Mitnick's Web site on Sunday and replaced his front page with one of their own. As a result, four Web addresses belonging to Mitnick, including KevinMitnick.com and MitnickSecurity.com, displayed an explicit message on Mitnick and hacking.

"The Web hosting provider that hosts my sites was hacked," Mitnick told CNET News.com in an interview Monday. "Fortunately, I don't keep any confidential data on my Web site, so it wasn't that serious. Of course, it is embarrassing to be defaced--nobody likes it."

Mitnick's name is synonymous with "notorious hacker" for many. He was caught by the FBI in 1995 after a well-publicized pursuit and spent five years behind bars for wire and computer fraud. Today, he is a consultant, has written two books, and spends much of his time on the road at speaking engagements.

Mitnick heard out about the defacement on Sunday afternoon, shortly after the initial compromise, he said. The attackers gained complete control over the server that hosts his site as well as others at hosting provider Hostedhere, Mitnick said. It is common that hosting companies store multiple customers' Web sites on one server.

"The attackers from Pakistan took over that whole box. There were a whole bunch of customers, including myself, but my site was the only one defaced, so I was probably the target," Mitnick said. The server was taken offline to be reinstalled, Mitnick said. The Web site was still offline as of late Monday afternoon Pacific Time.

Web site defacements still occur, but they have become less high profile in recent years as financially motivated threats take the spotlight.

The message placed on Mitnick's Web site started with: "ZMOG!! THE MITNICK GOTZ OWNED!!" and continues with expletives and a picture of Mitnick with some modifications. Security Web site Zone-H first reported the hack on Monday and has screenshots of the replaced Web pages.

Defacing Web sites is akin to graffiti in the brick-and-mortar world. "It is kind of stupid; they do it for the attention," Mitnick said. "When I was a hacker, I never stooped to defacing sites because that was more like vandalism; that wasn't any fun. It is more about getting in and being stealth and looking around and exploring."

So far, Mitnick doesn't know how the server containing his Web site was compromised. He plans to investigate that at a later time. It could be that a security flaw on one of the other Web sites that was hosted on the same server gave the attackers a way into Mitnick's portion of the machine, he said.

"When you're with Web hosting companies, your security is as good as theirs. You just have to live with that," Mitnick said. "When you want to raise the bar, you have to set it up yourself. I don't have the time to maintain a Web site."

Hostedhere, Mitnick's hosting provider located in Greenville, S.C., did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

"They do a good job. I don't think they're insecure," Mitnick said, adding that he would switch Web hosting providers only if his site gets hacked continuously.

This isn't the first time that a Mitnick Web site has been defaced. Three years ago, a site set up by Mitnick's supporters was repeatedly hacked. Mitnick did not operate those sites. He was not allowed to use computers at that time as part of the terms of his supervised release from prison, he said.

Watch out! The turkish teeny boppers are at it again! :o

Defacing Web sites is akin to graffiti in the brick-and-mortar world. "It is kind of stupid; they do it for the attention," Mitnick said. "When I was a hacker, I never stooped to defacing sites because that was more like vandalism; that wasn't any fun. It is more about getting in and being stealth and looking around and exploring."

rofl yes, "mitnick the moral", was the poster child of greyhat hacking back in the day.

So you have the opportunity to get a message to the world , by hacking mitnicks site , knowing full well that this is a grate story for the press. You could chose to make a statement about the inequality in the world , or how governments are repressing creative minds. Or better still tell the world that i haven't hit puberty yet and that i would like to have sex with old people! Wow 1337 ....

i don't condone this type of defacement but if your going to do it do something that has meaning. Wasted opportunity!!!

You could chose to make a statement about the inequality in the world , or how governments are repressing creative minds. Or better still tell the world that i haven't hit puberty yet and that i would like to have sex with old people! Wow 1337 ....

i don't condone this type of defacement but if your going to do it do something that has meaning. Wasted opportunity!!!

Personally I think making a meaningful statement sounds boring. Drawing an MS Paint penis on Mitnick's head made me laugh much more than an essay about the government would. Good job, hackers!

You could chose to make a statement about the inequality in the world , or how governments are repressing creative minds. Or better still tell the world that i haven't hit puberty yet and that i would like to have sex with old people! Wow 1337 ....

Personally I think making a meaningful statement sounds boring. Drawing an MS Paint penis on Mitnick's head made me laugh much more than an essay about the government would. Good job, hackers!

I agree with Dylan here. Though I doubt a defacement will ever crossmy mind, such an opportunity should have been better used. Sure you could have posted the picture and made people laugh, but who the hell finds having sex with grandmothers funny? Plus, his statements about everyone who isn't black hat kind of made his point moot to those that really even care.

WHY DO YOU HACK?

DO YOU HACK BECAUSE YOU WANT TO HELP OTHERS?

DO YOU HACK TO SECURE OTHERS?

DO YOU HACK TO LOOK COOL?

DO YOU HACK BECAUSE YOU GET PAID?

Errm, then why the hell do you hack? It looks like you are trying your best to impress your 15 year old Turkish h4xx0r buddies.

Edited by Perf-149

I would've left a message to Mitnick, telling him to e-mail me if he wanted to know how I got control of the site, but still would've had fun with it.

Why in the hell would you talk shit about hackers after just "hacking"(defacing) a site. What a moron, and what a waste of time to hack mitnicks site. People always want to crap on the things they do themselves for some reason. Skiddies like this idiot give hackers a bad name.

can you say pwn3d?

Why in the hell would you talk shit about hackers after just "hacking"(defacing) a site. What a moron, and what a waste of time to hack mitnicks site. People always want to crap on the things they do themselves for some reason. Skiddies like this idiot give hackers a bad name.

We are all thinking the same thing. This keeps the bad, immature hacker stereotype alive.

I also agree with Dylan on this one, big time waste on their part. Thats what you call a failure.

I have never understood the need to make dumbass leet speak and greetz when one pulls something off like this. It could be a convert message that was purposely allowed to see if a certain flaw could infact exploit a certain vunerability. Wouldnt it be funny if this group actually didnt deface the site, but have been trying ddos stuff forever, and their rival group defaced this to set up the even worse kiddies to put an end to a nuiance.. lol,

Turds,Peeps,php weiners, should use defacing if they must do it to at least make a profound statement. I guess those who truly are good, dont ever leave traces.. The way it should be..

I also agree with Dylan on this one, big time waste on their part. Thats what you call a failure.

First off who the fuck cares, it's fucking Kevin Mitnick's site. People's shit gets defaced daily, it is lame get over it.

roffle mitnick got pwned. i dont care what you all say that seems a little ironic to me. even if he isnt hosting it. lol funny.

all hail Mitnick :blowfuse:

someone should find those people and "hack" them with an axe :glare: stupid assfased skiddies, i bet they got a shell through another site, ran ls on the webhosting directory and saw /www/kevinmitnick.com/ and thought they were 't3h aw3s0m3 h4x0rzz'

The Condor could kick your asses!!!

:umph:

In more important news: Pluto no longer a planet

ya i heard about that...

ll hail Pluto :blowfuse:

someone should find those people and "say their not a human anylonger" them with an axe :glare: stupid assfased scientists, i bet they had a meeting, discussed about it and the finding of 3 other planetlike objects and thought they were 't3h aw3s0m3 sc13nt1stzz'

Pluto could kick your asses!!!

edit:

i use a form post when pissed :P

Edited by n3xg3n

hahahah good i hate kevin mitnick

>.> Your in my bingo book now asshole :umph: :umph:

:P

ya i heard about that...

someone should find those people and "say their not a human anylonger" them with an axe :glare: stupid assfased scientists, i bet they had a meeting, discussed about it and the finding of 3 other planetlike objects and thought they were 't3h aw3s0m3 sc13nt1stzz'

edit:

Clyde Tombaugh must be rolling around in his grave right about now. (Click on the link if you don't know who Clyde is)

ya i heard about that...

edit:

Clyde Tombaugh must be rolling around in his grave right about now. (Click on the link if you don't know who Clyde is)

If you didn't know, his 90-something year old widow is still alive.

If you didn't know, his 90-something year old widow is still alive.

Your future wife :lol:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! and whats this about a penis on mitnick's face?