Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Io:

I hacked a train

15 posts in this topic

Uh... yeah sorry about the title... :unsure:

But the other day I have airodump-ng running, and I hear a freight passing, and immediately I see a beacon pop up with the SSID of something like "CSX Transportation Network". I guess they have an AP on the train, not sure why...

Anyway I only got one packet, and I can't find the damn file that I saved. I know I've heard people have picked up cop patrol cars while war driving, anyone seen a train before?

Never heard of it before , but you could try getting on a train and running airodump there. Then you could hack the train and control it or something :devil:

EDIT: http://www.pointshotwireless.com/

Edited by Snippet

haha, that's quite strange, never heard of that before...and you're sure it was a freight train? I can't think of why a freight train would need wireless...unless...wardriving?? :P ..hehe

Well, I know here in the UK that one of the major train companies is planning to make all its trains have wireless internet, so that people can pay to have web acces, and so the train can send status reports back to "base" so that engeneers can be waiting for it at its next stop, and other obvious reasons. So perhaps the freight train had a wireless network for that reason, or perhaps seeing as theyre not very hard to drive the driver just sits and plays online solitaire or something. (When I say not very hard to drive I mean, on large straight stretches of railway all you need to do is put your foot down - or maybe they have cruise control...).

HippyVanMan, i'm going to assume you've never driven a plane.

as far as reasons for having an access point, perhaps they weren't using an internet connection at all. it's very possible that the train broadcasts a wireless signal and they have recievers at various point along the track. that way it is possible to tell where a train is on the track and avoid collisions.

Also a word of warning. Sometimes within cities, the rail yard use remote controlled locomotives to move freight cars around. There is no human operator so if you were to hack into their remote, you could very well mess up the works or even worse, kill someone. A locomotive weighs 65 tons, the average car barely over 2. Guess who wins?

Modern freight trains are equipped with tracking systems so control can monitor engine activity and position on the tracks. It is also very possible that control has a virtual link into the train for the reason of taking over and stopping the train via computer if there is an accident or the driver is injured/dead.

But what disproves my point is that it would be totally unnecessary to have a router on the train.

who's ready to take a train ride and find out a little more about it? i mean it would be very very stupid if they had somthing that could shut down the train via computer while having some sort of wireless network, but its not entirely impossible.

and wouldnt the train have to go slower than they normally do if u were able to pick up the AP?

Perhaps it was the train attempting to connect to an access point at the station, and you were just seeing the packets from that interaction?

as far as reasons for having an access point, perhaps they weren't using an internet connection at all. it's very possible that the train broadcasts a wireless signal and they have recievers at various point along the track. that way it is possible to tell where a train is on the track and avoid collisions.

That is brilliant.

some Amtrak trains have WiFi on them with Internet Access, I've never gotten to use it though, last time I went on a train was like 3 years ago and I didn't bring a laptop. I believe amtrak's trains use a combination of Satellite, cell network, and AP's along the track to give users internet access.

Never heard of it before , but you could try getting on a train and running airodump there.

a.k.a WarTrainning !!! :ninja:

Wow, great find on the whitepaper!

It looks, at least from their diagrams, like cars/trains/etc have some sort've transponder in them that communicates with 802.11, among other things. Were you around any switchtracks or signaling devices?

If it's a case of having an 802.11 base around somewhere, maybe it's only activated by a certian event, such as pressure on the track, or an activating signal?

Edited by systems_glitch

I have 3 sets of tracks all within a mile of me that CSX runs on, I'll go sniff around.