Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Io:

Best way to get a cheap comp for a server

17 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get some cheap hardware that I can run a TOR and SSH server on and just something to generally play around with, I won't need to run a WM or anything like that. I'm going to put linux on it. Any advice on what kind of processor would be good enough, and any good ideas on where to get it? don't want to spend > $50.

I'm looking to get some cheap hardware that I can run a TOR and SSH server on and just something to generally play around with, I won't need to run a WM or anything like that. I'm going to put linux on it. Any advice on what kind of processor would be good enough, and any good ideas on where to get it? don't want to spend > $50.

In that price range, your best hope would be ebay or a garage sale.

Just checked craigslist, and I can pick up a pII for $15. Do you think the performance running a few small servers would be okay?

A P2 really doesn't explain alot. what ype of servers will you be running? For my home web server, I use a 500 Mhz Celeron. For my BBS, a 100Mhz Pentium 1. And yess, Flea Markets are great for this kinda thing. My BBS machine was only $4.

That gives me a good idea. I'm thinking of running a TOR server and then possibly something BBS-like. Nothing as intense as a webserver.

thanks for all the input

Go dumpster diving :roll:

I would actually check the local colleges and schools because around here the college rebuilds computers and gives them away to people who need one. I got some IBM that can run KDE pretty fine (although I run flux). I dont know anything about its internals (never checked). Hopefully your college or w/e also does something like this...

Goodluck, Snippet

You want a box? I'll sell ya one, shit I'll sell ya 10.

I have dozens of 550 and below machines i NEEED to get rid of. They'll have ram, hdd's most have integrated vid, lan, and sound even.

PM me if you're interested, or hit up #binrev irc, I'm usually always in there ;-)

500mhz boxes are just FINE for even webservers. I'm willing to bet some of your local ISP's still use old boxes like these, it doenst take much power to do simple stuff like that. I know a guy who used to run an ISP, that used 300mhz celerons, with RH 7.3 on them.

Edited by krphop

Just ask people. thats what i do, i got 3 free boxes, from different people. 2 P1 300mhz 32mb ram , and one p3 128mb ram for free. each would be fine for a server.

Try Goodwill. They usually have a few old PII/PIII machines around for cheap.

the best idea I've hear was dumpster diving, The other thing Is what is wrong with your computer you have now, why not just use that as a server? my workstation and my server is one in the same. I type-in/run "top" and all the servers/deamons are at the bottom of the list.

Okay, last post. This craigslist guy want $15 for a 266mhz pII with 32mb of RAM. These specs kind of scare me, but what do you all think?

arewhyainn, I need to reboot my machine often, have a dual boot...

Okay, last post. This craigslist guy want $15 for a 266mhz pII with 32mb of RAM. These specs kind of scare me, but what do you all think?

arewhyainn, I need to reboot my machine often, have a dual boot...

back when I used to dual boot windows and linux, I just setup servers on both OS, and had the root filesystem for like my http server configure to get the files from the same place. So, it really didn't matter what OS I was in. Now, it will be down for a few seconds or so for a reboot, but I don't think it would be that big of a problem. Since i olny use linux now it's not a problem for me.

Try Goodwill. They usually have a few old PII/PIII machines around for cheap.

No kidding, You'd be supprised at the machines you can get there for a very low price. I got a 500mhz amd k6 machine with 128megs of ram with a monitor for 30 bucks. The trick is to get there in the morning.

Don't forget computer surplus stores like starsurplus.com

Or even sites like pricewatch.com

You can still find most of the older AMD Duron's and whatknot for $30-40.