Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PanicByte

Another Windows Genuine Disadvantage

12 posts in this topic

microsoft did yet another thing to piss me off today, I was having a problem installing some software, after some google searching someone recommended downloading some utility from microsofts website, well i have to do the stupid ass WGA verfification, well I am not an IE users (who is?) and a while back i remember to do WGA verification you would download a little executable that would give you a code you could paste into your browser, well that is over with, now if you want to verify that you got raped by microsofts rediculous pricing, you need to install some stupid browser plugin, which i'm not going to even try to install because who the hell knows what would happen to firefox if I installed that thing. so now I have to start up IE every time i need to download a patch or something from microsofts website.

and holy shit, how come when i buy a laptop i don't get a fucking windows CD and I have to deal with all the bloatware the OEM puts on the fucking computer. If i just paid $150 for windows to come with my laptop, not to mention the cost of the laptop itself, I THINK I DESERVE A WINDOWS INSTALL CD! now if i were to use my existing XP install CD i probably wouldn't even be able to use the license that came with the laptop that I paid for.

eat a dick microsoft, seriously.

oh yeah, and there are still ALOT of people pirating windows and your stupid WGA hasn't cought any of them yet, your just pissing people off like me who actually paid the rediculous sum of money for it. and BTW microsoft, we don't all work for Microsoft, lower your fucking prices you pigs your operating system isn't worth more than $100.

not to further ur pissed off-ness:

windows xp home upgrade = 99$ from newegg

all you need is some windows os and somwhere i heard microsoft has a set of 6 disks that you can download so that u can use the upgrade from a clean system.

what is it that you are having a problem with? there might be another tool out there that will do the same thing

*cough* plugin for mozilla, windows update in mozilla, no genuine check bullshit *cough*

id google some solution, sorry i seem to have a bit of a cough ;)

and holy shit, how come when i buy a laptop i don't get a fucking windows CD and I have to deal with all the bloatware the OEM puts on the fucking computer. If i just paid $150 for windows to come with my laptop, not to mention the cost of the laptop itself, I THINK I DESERVE A WINDOWS INSTALL CD! now if i were to use my existing XP install CD i probably wouldn't even be able to use the license that came with the laptop that I paid for.

http://www.freepctech.com/pc/xp/xp00066.shtml

Find a full XP retail CD, and change it so it accepts OEM keys. Its worked everytime for me! Btw, don't blame Microsoft for not including CD's, speak the the computer maker. I was on the phone with Packard Bell this week, they want £30 ($60) for the reinstall CD's even though I explained the Hard drive had failed, and I could not use the computer.. :blink: Thats not right!

Back on topic, first thing I do with a new PC is reinstall windows with a proper OEM disc, no crap then! It does work..

I'm starting to doubt that the manufacturer is even given individual XP Cd's and they have some kind of device and or machine i.e. another computer that loads on XP and all those other shitty applications. Microsoft is so far behind. If they wanted to, Microsoft could demand that the manufacture stops putting all that preloaded junk on board.

When you get an Apple you don't get 900 AOL and EARTHLINK shortcuts, not to mention all the spy ware and shit that come with all that stuff.

It is very clear that Microsoft does not care about the individual user like Apple does. Don't you think if they did a Windows box would come with all the sweet preloaded apps that a Apple computer has to offer. Microsoft finally develops and prepares to release an OS (Vista) with some of that stuff, and Apple is at the same stage in development if not farther with the next generation OS. Now I am not saying Apple is perfect, they still have their problems but come on I am sick and tired of all the economy grade shit like Microsoft.

Don't even get me started on Microsoft application suites like Office, how is it that Sun is able to give away an almost identical version of Office for free (Open Office). The computer I am on now will be my last standard Windows box, I may keep one around for tinkering but when this dies or I get enough money, I'm making the full switch to Apple. I'm partially there, I have a G4 and all I use at work are Apple computers.

So I'll second the motion for Microsoft to eat a dick!

I've had the same problem with Sony and IBM refusing to let me have a normal OS installation disc when I've bought one of their laptops. They said that it wasn't the policy and I had to use their installation disc if I needed to reinstall the OS. I resorted to the solution of getting an OEM and using the activation code on the laptop. I resent that because I have, in effect, had to purchase an additional OS disc (and activation code) when I've already paid for the original software and activation code.

not to further ur pissed off-ness:

windows xp home upgrade = 99$ from newegg

all you need is some windows os and somwhere i heard microsoft has a set of 6 disks that you can download so that u can use the upgrade from a clean system.

what is it that you are having a problem with? there might be another tool out there that will do the same thing

I know I can get OEM XP HOME for $99, Home edition is a POS, you should under no circumstances put XP Home Edition on a laptop. first, in XP home, there is no EFS it's not the best encryption, but you can still use it to encrypt your temp folders, etc. you can't password protect file shares, and a whole bunch of stuff i'm probably forgetting to mention.

and it's not that I'm having a problem with anyanything, it's just that microsoft needs to eat a dick.

*cough* plugin for mozilla, windows update in mozilla, no genuine check bullshit *cough*

id google some solution, sorry i seem to have a bit of a cough ;)

Uhhhh, i got the following error when I went to microsoft's website.

Windows Genuine Advantage plug-in installation

Some downloads are made available only after users have validated their versions of Microsoft Windows. Firefox and Netscape Navigator browser users may install a helper program, the Windows Genuine Advantage plug-in, to enhance their download experience.

I installed the damn plugin, and the stupid thing doesn't work, so not only did i probably just install a huge security whole in mozilla, I still am forced to use IE to download anything from microsofts site.

http://www.freepctech.com/pc/xp/xp00066.shtml

Find a full XP retail CD, and change it so it accepts OEM keys. Its worked everytime for me! Btw, don't blame Microsoft for not including CD's, speak the the computer maker. I was on the phone with Packard Bell this week, they want £30 ($60) for the reinstall CD's even though I explained the Hard drive had failed, and I could not use the computer.. :blink: Thats not right!

Back on topic, first thing I do with a new PC is reinstall windows with a proper OEM disc, no crap then! It does work..

I'm starting to doubt that the manufacturer is even given individual XP Cd's and they have some kind of device and or machine i.e. another computer that loads on XP and all those other shitty applications. Microsoft is so far behind. If they wanted to, Microsoft could demand that the manufacture stops putting all that preloaded junk on board.

When you get an Apple you don't get 900 AOL and EARTHLINK shortcuts, not to mention all the spy ware and shit that come with all that stuff.

It is very clear that Microsoft does not care about the individual user like Apple does. Don't you think if they did a Windows box would come with all the sweet preloaded apps that a Apple computer has to offer. Microsoft finally develops and prepares to release an OS (Vista) with some of that stuff, and Apple is at the same stage in development if not farther with the next generation OS. Now I am not saying Apple is perfect, they still have their problems but come on I am sick and tired of all the economy grade shit like Microsoft.

Don't even get me started on Microsoft application suites like Office, how is it that Sun is able to give away an almost identical version of Office for free (Open Office). The computer I am on now will be my last standard Windows box, I may keep one around for tinkering but when this dies or I get enough money, I'm making the full switch to Apple. I'm partially there, I have a G4 and all I use at work are Apple computers.

So I'll second the motion for Microsoft to eat a dick!

Some OEM's are terrible at this shit, Toshiba is terrible at putting bloatware on your system. Thinkpad puts a little but it's all legitimate utilitys that are easily removed if not needed. my last dell computer i bought in 2003, and it gave me a fresh install of windows with abolutely no bloatware, probably not the case anymore.

Well I was lucky that my thinkpad didn't come with too much shit. I just uninstalled what I didn't need or want, but for the most part, Thinkpad didn't put too much really bad crap (such as AOL and stuff) but they did have alot of utilitys that were written by IBM that I would never use anyway.

I've had the same problem with Sony and IBM refusing to let me have a normal OS installation disc when I've bought one of their laptops. They said that it wasn't the policy and I had to use their installation disc if I needed to reinstall the OS. I resorted to the solution of getting an OEM and using the activation code on the laptop. I resent that because I have, in effect, had to purchase an additional OS disc (and activation code) when I've already paid for the original software and activation code.

I have a couple XP Pro CD's around my house, but it's not that I actually need to reformat at this point, it just pissed me off that I didn't get a CD w/ the laptop after paying for the damn operating system. also, I do have XP Pro CD's but I'm afraid that my key isn't gonna work if I install from a difforent CD rather than the hidden partion.

also, I do have XP Pro CD's but I'm afraid that my key isn't gonna work if I install from a difforent CD rather than the hidden partion.

It will work. I have formatted, installed, reformatted, and reinstalled... It doesnt make a difference, at least in my experience. What matters is if you have the legitimate WinXP Pro serial key. When I reformatted, I used partition magic. That will remove the so called 'hidden partiton.' I used to have Parititon Magic, I downloaded it from a friends ftp server, but I do not have the installer anymore. (no need, i threw out windoze) Sorry for going off topic.

Alk3

I'm pretty sure most manufacturers just clone the drives of same-model PCs, so they have exactly the same software. The Windows serial probably isn't put in until after the first factory boot or something, to individualize the machines. It'd save time, anyway.

Won't Microsoft give you a new copy of XP if you give them a legit key? Kind of like their hardware replacement policies -- where you give them a valid serial code, and they ship you a new piece of hardware.

But the problem is that it's not Microsoft's fault or problem your system is pre-loaded with crap. It's your OEM's. They get deals and kick backs to preload this shit onto your hard drive and usually they're the crippled or skim-milk version of whatever program. Like Norton or Symantec ship with laptops. WTF is up with 6 months then it's toast because it's not a full version entitled to updates of anykind!

When I buy a computer of any kind, I always check to see what it comes with. If there's too much software, I do whatever is possible to have them not ship it. I always deal with a local retailer for desktops and pay the markup for instant gratification. Same with pre-boxed laptops, I look and if I don't see that hologrammed Windows CD, I bitch till I get one off the shelf with a ProdKey. Granted I just spent my day on craigslist reading people bitch about licenses... I can't believe so many people are still running 95/98. But that again is where Apple is king and Microsoft is a schmuck (Apple Software Library of every MacOS to 6.0.1 - free).

But ultimately (and personally) I don't care about the OS wars or WGA. I get my software legit and at a price where you'll sell your mom's soul to get it. Too bad it doesn't apply to EA Games. :|

The smart way to end this whole cost thing... site and vol licensing. Retail is for chumps. People know it, that's why they shop at Costco. Think towards the future... form a group and pool together enough to buy site licenses or VLK's at the very least with NT4/Win98 site licenses. :) If you make it that far, let's do a snowcrash thing and pool together to buy a /128 IPv6 subnet. May not pay off for 20-30 years but 24.x.x.x was owned by NASA originally... what does 24.0.0.0/8 resolve mostly to now? ;)

I hate how OEMs install additional shit. When I went with my little brother to help him buy a laptop at a gateway store I had asked for them not to install any preloaded bull crap especially AOHELL and shitty Norton. They did it no questions asked! My sister had bought a sony vaio and it had a 6 month trial of Norton Internet Security. Once the subscription ended it automatically blocked all outbound traffic and alerted for the user to subscribe again to protect them selves. AKA so you can surf the net again. It was easy to fix, you just had to unistall norton.

I'm pretty sure most manufacturers just clone the drives of same-model PCs, so they have exactly the same software. The Windows serial probably isn't put in until after the first factory boot or something, to individualize the machines. It'd save time, anyway.

Won't Microsoft give you a new copy of XP if you give them a legit key? Kind of like their hardware replacement policies -- where you give them a valid serial code, and they ship you a new piece of hardware.

Yup thats how they do it. OEM Pre-Installation! XP gets installed from an image over a network, then the machines get individualised.

As for MS giving you a new copy of XP, why bother? Just get the correct version off someone and use your own key.