Alk3

*NIX and VB6

7 posts in this topic

School starts on the 21st this month and I have a Programming in BASIC class. I was wondering if I can still use my Debian install to program in BASIC, or do I have to do Windows install in order to use it? I hope its possible, and I dont mean to sound like a complete n00b, I just dont want to install windows again. <_<

Alk3

If you're dead set on using Visual Studio, just use WINE in Debian.

VB or just BASIC? If it's just BASIC then there are lots of interpreters available for Linux.

I know there's a project on sourceforge that is planning on writing a linux implementation of vb but I don't think they're even at the coding stage yet. You might, as tehbiz said be able to run vb under WINE. When I had to take a vb class I just used the computer lab to do my homework.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I think it will cover BASIC and move on to VB. Im sure my t eacher will have an idea of what to do. But if not Wine and the computer labs will do. Thanks again.

Alk3

Ok, thanks for the replies. I think it will cover BASIC and move on to VB. Im sure my t eacher will have an idea of what to do. But if not Wine and the computer labs will do. Thanks again.

Alk3

With most of those courses, especially an introductory programming course, the teachers prefer everyone is using the same software. It it just easier to answer questions andtroubleshoot when everyone is on the same page.

With most of those courses, especially an introductory programming course, the teachers prefer everyone is using the same software. It it just easier to answer questions andtroubleshoot when everyone is on the same page.

I figured that one out last semester in another class. Fortunately, that teacher was a Linux fanatic and was willing to work around it. :D Im positive my next teacher wont have a problem with this- I already know her. Too bad though that this community college is cutting out most linux courses and making it all into one class. Rediculous.

:cuss:

Alk3