Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anubis26

Adding another monitor

14 posts in this topic

Now that I have found myself doing a bit of graphics work on photoshop, I need more room screen space than my 17" Gateway LCD can provide. I do not want to buy a bigger monitor, because a) 19"+ monitors are expensive and B) my desk has a shelf right above, so anything about 18"-19" won't fit. So, I am thinking about just buying a cheap shit 17" monitor in the $150 range to add next to mine. My BFG Nvidia 6600 GT has 2 monitor outputs, so this would be possible. Now my question is: can I do this so it works as if the 2 monitors were one connected at the side, without stretching the image, and is there a (fairly) easy way to set this kind of configuration in either (or both) Windows XP home or Suse 10.0 ? Also, would there be compatibility issues with other applications (Firefox, Openoffice, games like Flight Simulator 2004 or Battlefield 2 etc.)?

some of my friends are big into this dual monitor thing, but i dont know what progams they use..

but when u set it up is is like the two monitors are side by side, and no there are no compatibility issues (that i know of, i could be wrong)

also somthing i have heard.. dont use different size monitors... its annoying when u go back and forth. and thats all i know about the whole dual monitor thing. sounds cool tho

some of my friends are big into this dual monitor thing, but i dont know what progams they use..

but when u set it up is is like the two monitors are side by side, and no there are no compatibility issues (that i know of, i could be wrong)

also somthing i have heard.. dont use different size monitors... its annoying when u go back and forth. and thats all i know about the whole dual monitor thing. sounds cool tho

Thanks for the advice. Do you what kind of OS configuration is involved?

EDIT: Found this for windows, now just need it for linux https://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/twomonitors.mspx

EDIT2: This one is for Gentoo, but should work on other distros:

http://www.mkaz.com/ref/gentoo_dual.html

Edited by anubis26

what they were doing was using some program (dont remember the name so i didnt mention it before) that would do all of the stuff for you, and allow you to have like a game on one screen and AIM on the other, but it was windows only so dunno if it will help. ill find out what that program is called when i talk to him tonight

what they were doing was using some program (dont remember the name so i didnt mention it before) that would do all of the stuff for you, and allow you to have like a game on one screen and AIM on the other, but it was windows only so dunno if it will help. ill find out what that program is called when i talk to him tonight

Cool, thanks. It's alright that its for Windows, since thats what I need it for.

Cool, thanks. It's alright that its for Windows, since thats what I need it for.

No program is required for that, Windows allows that by default when a 2nd a monitor is set up. The games will run fullscreen on the primary monitor and you can keep aim, irc, etc open on the 2nd monitor.

Dual monitor support is pretty easy to configure through your nVidia control panel. (You can access it through Control Panel -> Display -> Settings Tab -> Advanced -> 6600 Tab.) It's pretty self exlanitory from there.

Also make sure that you have the right adaptors for your Monitor -> Video Card connections. Many video cards have both a VGI and a PC DVI output. If your monitors are both VGI, you will need to get a VGI to PC DVI convertor (somtimes included with a Video Card, sometimes not).

Convertor

Edited by Perf-149

Dual monitor support is pretty easy to configure through your nVidia control panel. (You can access it through Control Panel -> Display -> Settings Tab -> Advanced -> 6600 Tab.) It's pretty self exlanitory from there.

Also make sure that you have the right adaptors for your Monitor -> Video Card connections. Many video cards have both a VGI and a PC DVI output. If your monitors are both VGI, you will need to get a VGI to PC DVI convertor (somtimes included with a Video Card, sometimes not).

Convertor

Perf, I already have 2 DVI to VGA converters, they came with the card.

Convertor

Perf, I already have 2 DVI to VGA converters, they came with the card.

Yeah, they usually do. I have my 20' CRT next to a 17" CRT just for things like a full IRC chat or other things that I can use on the side of my main project. They are really nice to have, and pretty cheap to pick up as well. If you regoing for a 17" LCD, i would say go for it. If the price is right, the extra space can save you alot of time.

Here's the monitor I'm running all over the city to track down; its got good specs and a good price, but my local TigerDirect outlet didn't have it, so I will call the other one (naperville) in the morning. I'm sure the gas will cost more than the $11 shipping but at least it'll be home immediatly and won't be jostled around in shipping :lol:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p?EdpNo=2371718

Ok, sorry for the delay but here it is:

monitorsrj1.jpg

The new one is on the left... duhh

Purdy...

That kind of setup would be amazing for my music production/editing setup. How do you like it, and what are you using it for?

Purdy...

That kind of setup would be amazing for my music production/editing setup. How do you like it, and what are you using it for?

The monitor's great, much better than the Gateway I'm using next to it. The one thing that freaked me out was when I [accidenally] set it to automatically set contrast... very useful in the long run.

I use both for photoshop, or for firefox, or google earth. In this it shines. The other scenario is a game on one and winamp or xm in the other one.

If you check out the crt vs lcd thread in off topic, I posted the link to the monitor where I got it.

WARNING: I have not yet tried it in linux, so I'm not sure how hard it is to set up.

Good luck, pm me if you need any info. B)