Fiend

Police took my Laptop away

92 posts in this topic

I can defienetly appreciate your wanting to be honest and cooperate, in most sistuations that does makes things easier and the cop less suspicious. From what it sounds like when he confiscated your lappy he didn't write you a receipt. I use to skate as well and got many items taken and always got a reciept, i did have a camera taken and went to pick it up with reciept in hand and they "misplaced it" and wrote me a check for the cost, with depleted value of course! I hope everything does turn out well. Unfortunately knowing your rights isn't something everyones educated on and i've personally had many a run in with the boys in blue, that get very angry and short tempered when you remind them of your rights, but never the less you should stand by the fact that you weren't intending to do anything malicious. Good luck. Cudos on wearing the HACKER shirt while wardriving gotta appreciate the irony. :P

Edited by vardor

You are the stupids person ever. Yeah, I go into public, start wardriving, while wearing a hacker shirt. Even going into public with a laptop while wearing a laptop shirt is stupid. And you are anoyyed that you lost your laptop?

Big mistake buddy.

You are the stupids person ever. Yeah, I go into public, start wardriving, while wearing a hacker shirt. Even going into public with a laptop while wearing a laptop shirt is stupid. And you are anoyyed that you lost your laptop?

Big mistake buddy.

of course Windows automatically connects to the first Unencrypted WiFi it sees without consulting the user.

Hm... I never heard of Windows simply connecting to any unencrypted WAP that it wants. Maybe your wireless settings specify an automatic connection to a WAP with a default SSID ("Linksys", "Netgear", etc...) and that just happened to be the one you were next to?

At the very least, it should have popped up a notification balloon near the taskbar telling you that you were connected.

I loaded up FireFox and the home page was set to Google.com so you could say I illegally used someones Internet Connection.

If you loaded up your browser, it seems to me that your intent was indeed to do some surfing.

I do sympathize with you -- my hope is that this altercation with the cops doesn't jeopardize your college career. I would have to say for future reference, however, that when you're staring down the business end of a police officer's flashlight/knightstick/handgun, that is not the time to try to educate them on the media corruption of the term "hacker" and on why scanning for WAPs is more of a hobby than a crime. Good luck with it all, post back to the thread to let us know what happens.

Have you ever used WindowsXP before? It automatically connects to any wireless network nearby.

Also, while cops do have a right to search your car actually having to look through things that aren't in plain sight is a moot point. Also, they didn't have any probably cause to search you nor did they have any reason to take your laptop.

Also...

Did you call a lawyer yet? If not then...CALL ONE NOW!

yea, piss off the cops by screwing one of them over. very smart.

im really sorry, id be in the same position as you are... but prejudice exists. and with the whole panic going around these days with getting closer to 9-11, london and us airports being scanned all over for chemicals, etc etc....

man you sure chose your days to go around playing hacker...

Best of luck, get a lawyer to go make sure you will recover all your stuff and pray you dont lose your kiddy pron :D

Big mistake buddy.

We get that he didn't handle the situation properly but there's no reason to be an ass to the guy.

Big mistake buddy.

We get that he didn't handle the situation properly but there's no reason to be an ass to the guy.

its octal, hes allowed to.

Big mistake buddy.

Allowed to, but it makes him look like an asshat in the process.

You apparently dont know your rights. Warrantless searches.... dont fucking give them permission to search you or your property.

and I did mention that the only illegal thing I have done

This is where you went the most wrong. You've waived every right you have reasonable claim to. If you admit to doing something illegal, that's it. Do not pass go, do not collect $200

Big mistake buddy.

Everyone makes mistakes. Hell, you made a few in that post.

Unless I missed the don't go in public with your laptop and your laptop shirt memo ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah, read the first rule of the forum please.There is a big difference between "you made a big mistake", and "you are the stupidest person ever".

Here's an idea:

Track down the owner of that access point, explain the situation. Tell them you just powered on your laptop and it automatically connected (don't mention you were wardriving). Simply tell them that you were going to check if you had a document on the PC for work, you powered it on, and it automatically connected to their network. Explain that Windows XP automatically does this. Then ask them if that was ok, and if they were ok with that usage.

If they are, you haven't stolen anything. Get your ass in court and settle this with your new friends on the stand.

Big mistake buddy.

Allowed to, but it makes him look like an asshat in the process.

It's the internet, seriously.

Big mistake buddy.

Everyone makes mistakes. Hell, you made a few in that post.

Unless I missed the don't go in public with your laptop and your laptop shirt memo ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah, read the first rule of the forum please.There is a big difference between "you made a big mistake", and "you are the stupidest person ever".

Hahahah, damn, I suck at everything. I really need to reread my posts...

Haha, I love how alot of people on this forum are about twice my age or more.

Edited by Octal

Haha, I love how alot of people on this forum is about twice my age or more.

Correction: alot of the people on these forums act twice your "acted" age. If you want respect you gain it by being mature and not being an idiot to other members (golden rule anyone).

Since the owners of the house didn;t put in a complaint, would settling with them really change anything?

Haha, I love how alot of people on this forum is about twice my age or more.

Since the owners of the house didn;t put in a complaint, would settling with them really change anything?

What do you mean?

Actually, we went through a long discussion about this on IRC.

According to minnesota state law, his access of the network and network resources was legal. The police were just ignorant of the laws concerning computer related crimes, and confiscated his property without probable cause.

Even a "Public Pretender" as rightcoast put it could win this case.

Hell, he could probably win it himself if he went in with the right knowledge.

What he should really be doing is trying to get the court case moved up to the next possible court date so he doesnt delay the process. The whole "sending it to the FBI" thing from the cops is unjustified, and he hasnt been formally charged with anything yet. Hell, he didnt get arrested, and they havn't supeoned (sp for sure) him yet. The longer he waits, the more time they have to find some lame reason to charge him with a lamer crime than the one he suposedly encrypted.

I hope you didnt have any questionable software on your *nix installation... single user mode right?

What do you mean?

In most cases of theft the victim has to press charges. Since he is being charged with stealing, and the 'victim' hasnt pressed charges, some feel that the case should already be over.

Edited by Fafnir

Author of this post incase if you didn't know (I changed my name to 'ansichart' if you read above a few posts)

I did further research... apparently I actually wasn't charged with anything yet! And it looks like they don't know if I have done anything illegal!

Tomorrow, I'm going to come in and tell them more clearly what I was really doing:

I have been researching about WiFi Technology and decided to get some statistics and ratio's on how many people have Wireless, and how many of them protect their wireless with encryption. I was going to get a list of the available Wireless Networks in range (without connecting to them) just seeing the available ones. I was going to use this information and statistics to write an article on WiFi Technology and Security and how it's important to Protect your Wireless Access Points and how a few neglect to do this.

Apparently when I started up Microsoft Windows, a few seconds after it booted it appeared it connected to a near-bye Wireless Access Point automatically without prompting me. I guess if the WAP has the same ESSID name of the WAP I use at home it will automatically connect to this. I was wondering if this was just a glitch and decided to open up my favorite Web Browser (FireFox) and see if my homepage (google.com) would display. Sure enough... I really was connected to someone else's Wireless Internet.

Windows really should prompt the user before it decided to connect, because Laptops often are carried around to different places and their is high probability that someone else has the same ESSID name as your WAP, that is if you haven't changed the default ESSID that the manufacture of the router sets it as... which happened to be the case.

I, myself, have wireless at home with high-speed Internet so I would have no reason why I would sabotage someone else's. I have no interest in someone else's Wireless Internet Service if I have my very own. I had no intentions on stealing any one's Wireless Internet (even though I just went to google.com to see if Windows actually did automatically connect without prompting me). If at all possible, I would like to know whose Wireless Access Point I have connected to so I can apologize to them and ask if they are Okay with the situation.

I have been honest and told you everything, and am trying to cooperate with you guys. I am going to be leaving for college in less than a week and I would greatly appreciate it if I could get my laptop back before I leave off to college. If not, it would greatly disrupt my education throughout college and would be a big pain. So if you would be so kindly to give me back my belongings so I can be on my way.

And if not, then I will ask the person that I connected to if they are Okay with the situation... and if they say yes, then it wouldn't be stealing.... yes?

What do you guys think of that? Looks good? Add anything else besides, "Fuck you Chief Wiggims! Go eat a donot you fat fucktard!"

Edited by ansichart

I have been researching about WiFi Technology and have decided to get some statistics and ratios on how many people have wireless, and how many of them protect their wireless with encryption. I was going to get a list of the available wireless networks in range (without connecting to them) just seeing the available ones. I was going to use the information and statistics to write an article on WiFi technology and security and how it's important to protect your Wireless Access Points stating how many neglect to do this.

Apparently, when I started up Microsoft Windows, a few seconds after it booted it appeared to connect to a nearby Wireless Access Point automatically without prompting me. Turns out that if the WAP has the same ESSID name of the WAP I use at home it will automatically connect to the network. I was wondering if this was just a glitch and wondered if the little icon was wrong. I decided to open up my Internet Web Browser and see if my homepage (Google.com) would display. Sure enough, I really was connected to someone else's Wireless Internet.

Windows really should prompt the user before it decided to connect, because laptops often are carried around to different places and there is high probability that someone else has the same ESSID name as your WAP, that is if you haven't changed the default ESSID that the manufactuer of the router sets it as. Which happened to be the case here.

I myself have wireless at home with high-speed Internet. I would have no reason to either sabotage or use someone else's. I have my own. I surely had no intentions of stealing anyones Wireless Internet (even though I just went to Google.com to see if Windows actually did automatically connect without prompting me). If at all possible, I would like to know whose Wireless Access Point I have connected to so that I can apologize to them and ask if they are okay with, or even aware of the situation.

I have been honest and told you everything, and am trying to cooperate with you guys. I am going to be leaving for college in less than a week and I would greatly appreciate it if I could get my laptop back before I leave off to college. If not, it would greatly disrupt my education throughout college and would be a great disadvantage. If you would be so kind as to to give me back my belongings, I would be sure to never allow this occur again.

And if not, can I contact the person that I connected to and find out if they are okay with the situation. If they say yes, then it wouldn't be stealing, correct?

Since it is important, I fixed it up for you.

EDIT: Talk to a lawyer man. Do not go in there and hand them this letter, which amounts to a written confession without a lawyers advice. You can be arrested the minute you show your face there. I would want a lawyer on location.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/07/technology...rrest/index.htm

Keep at the front of your mind the job of the people you are going to see is to arrest you if at all possible, and let the DA decide if the charges should stick.

Try it, make sure you talk to someone with authority so you dont have to say the same thing 20 times.

Since it is important, I fixed it up for you.

EDIT: Talk to a lawyer man. Do not go in there and hand them this letter, which amounts to a written confession without a lawyers advice. You can be arrested the minute you show your face there. I would want a lawyer on location.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/07/technology...rrest/index.htm

Thank you.

I don't think I am going to get a lawyer until they actually charge me with something... I'm don't have the money to be paying a lawyer anyway...

After reading this entire thread, I've come to the conclusion that the following statement is what got you into this entire mess:

and I did mention that the only illegal thing I have done was connected to google.com using their ISP, and that Windows connected to that automatically.

Rule number 1: Never, ever admit you've done something illegal! I don't care how minor it may seem to you. I'm willing to bet if you had never made that foolish statement, you'd still have your laptop right now.

Some more advice:

When working with computers, telephones, or any other type of hardware in a public place, never wear any apparel that has the word "hacker" written on it. That's just asking to get thrown into the jug. The average Joe Schmoe doesn't know what hacking is really all about.

Edited by signull

Tomorrow, I'm going to come in and tell them more clearly what I was really doing:

Uh, no. You're not supposed to say anything. They're not supposed to have your stuff in the first place. Call a lawyer.

I'm not getting a fucking lawyer! I am not arrested or actually charged with anything... yet.

And also... when I was on AIM on my Desktop PC... I got that message that someone signed on my AIM screen name while I was on it. I have my password saved on my AIM Screen Name on that laptop... and no one else knows my password. The Detective must have signed on my AIM Screen Name. I don't have it set to run AIM when Windows starts either... so he went on my AIM Screen Name manually.

This is going too far!

I am the writer of this topic, I changed my name to ansichart because that's my new alias I have been using. And people on IRC know me as ansichart so it just causes less confussion.

I talked to an officer at the police station and apparantly they can search everything in my car... I guess you loose your right of privacy if you are in your car? If it's in open view they can search it I guess... but he did have to open my bookbag and started searching through the contents inside.

Anyway, I havn't got too many answers out of them... they arn't saying a whole lot and it's really frusteraiting. I'll keep you guys posted when anything comes up.

It may have been in open view, but the problem is that you consented to the search. Once you give consent, they can legally take your car apart piece by piece and let you deal with the remains.