AgentVodka

Ubuntu Vs. Debian

36 posts in this topic

I have an AMD 64 dual core that I want to install linux on. I am new to linux and am trying to choose which distro to use. I have been reading alot about the different distros and have narrowed it down to Debian and Ubuntu. I'm looking to use this box to learn linux and experiment with server setups/networking etc.. It seems like Ubuntu would be more forgiving for a noob, but debian has more to offer in terms of control and server support. I am confused and would really like input from someone with experience.

Also has anyone used a dual core with these distros, I know you have to use the right smp kernel to take advantage of the dual core but other than that is everything smooth?

I'd say go with Ubuntu. Anything you can do on Debian you can do on Ubutnu (as well as most other distrobutions). If you want you can get the server install of ubuntu and configure it the way you want or just get the 64bit desktop version and install whatever server apps you want. Ubutnu is also more noob friendly on some of the more mundane tasks such as getting drivers working and stuff like that.

Debian and Ubuntu arent that much different.. But I'd say ubuntu, its an easier install

edit: spelling

Edited by hbp71605

I have a question about ubuntu, how do you get to the desktop from the command prompt that starts up automaticly when you boot up?

I have a question about ubuntu, how do you get to the desktop from the command prompt that starts up automaticly when you boot up?

"startx"

Ubuntu is based off of Debian. The main difference I've seen between the two is that Ubuntu actually works, Debian doesn't. Every time I have tried installing debian, something (and often multiple things) has fucked up a lot. So yeah, go with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is based off of Debian. The main difference I've seen between the two is that Ubuntu actually works, Debian doesn't. Every time I have tried installing debian, something (and often multiple things) has fucked up a lot. So yeah, go with Ubuntu.

It depends on the hardware, what version ie Sarge, Etch, Sid, Experimental; it also depends on your experience. Yes, if you are not planning on reading a bit here and there, go with Ubuntu. I run Sarge (Debian 3.1 Stable) and have not had any problems. I went from Windows XP to Debian Linux in about a total time of 60 minutes. Its best to get the net install cd if you know exactly what software you want and what you dont want on you box. I also like Linux From Scratch, but thats another discution.

Alk3

It depends on the hardware, what version ie Sarge, Etch, Sid, Experimental; it also depends on your experience. Yes, if you are not planning on reading a bit here and there, go with Ubuntu. I run Sarge (Debian 3.1 Stable) and have not had any problems. I went from Windows XP to Debian Linux in about a total time of 60 minutes. Its best to get the net install cd if you know exactly what software you want and what you dont want on you box. I also like Linux From Scratch, but thats another discution.

Alk3

I am a Linux n00b, but I hav enever had any problems installing Debian ... It is nearly the same setup as Ubuntu ... But thats just me ...

"startx"

I boot up, login and type startx yet nothing happens.

I'm still new to linux, and I feel really stupid not being able to fiqure it out.

"startx"

I'm still new to linux, and I feel really stupid not being able to fiqure it out.

Does startx give you a command not found or some other error? Tell us what error you get and we can help you. If it gives a command not found, you probably don't have X installed yet.

I’ve been using Debian for years and love it, the thing is I like to set up my whole machine and know what every bit of it is doing. Ubuntu is made for people who don’t have the time or skills to set up a computer.

"startx"

Does startx give you a command not found or some other error? Tell us what error you get and we can help you. If it gives a command not found, you probably don't have X installed yet.

Yeah, it gives me command not found. Would I ned to reinstall ubuntu for it to work?

Edited by Octal

Your probably better off going with Debian. I found ubuntu to be very very bloated.

"startx"

Yeah, it gives me command not found. Would I ned to reinstall ubuntu for it to work?

You probably did a server install and didn't bother installing a WM or login manager. I suggest you `sudo aptitude install wdm`.

"startx"

You probably did a server install and didn't bother installing a WM or login manager. I suggest you `sudo aptitude install wdm`.

A bit more information please.

If you did a full install of Ubuntu, I would think that you already have x, window manager, desktop environment installed. Im not sure what package management system Ubuntu uses, but look to see what you have installed on your system. Figure that out then ask us what to do, otherwise were guessing.

Alk3

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

He won't be able to get a server install to where he wants it probably. Octal, you dragged this thread off-topic. Please create your own thread if you have a question.

You also need to make sure you don't install server, like tehbizz said. Download and install this version.

http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu//6.06/ub...esktop-i386.iso

It is a Live CD, when it boots up, click install on the desktop and follow the directions alk3 linked to.

Ubuntu is made for people who don’t have the time or skills to set up a computer.

I would like to add the reason of pure lazyness. Thats why I'm using it :)

why is this thread ever made it's like compared Vector and Slackware

Ubuntu is made for people who don’t have the time or skills to set up a computer.

I would like to add the reason of pure lazyness. Thats why I'm using it :)

Right on. I used Debian for years before Ubuntu even existed.

Skills ... check.

So ....

Ubuntu is made for people who don’t have the skills and/or time to set up a computer.

Fixed :D

Though, you can still actually prefer Ubuntu too you know. ;)

I’m not a fan of Ubuntu but if people want to use it, that’s up to them.