xof7

lock picking

17 posts in this topic

I recently made some lock picks after seeing some videos on the forums and I had a 7 pin tumbler lock laying around that I tore out of a bank pouch and was wondering on a scale of ten how hard this would be to pick. So far I have had no luck.

depends if its got security pins as well, but since its 7 pins its pretty hard IMO id say around 6-7 out of ten. but it all depends on the type of pins and the brand of the lock.

good luck, youre gonna need it.

Can you tell if you're getting any of the pins to bind when you're first applying torque with the pick inserted all the way in the back of the shaft? Practice just getting pins to bind with a fair level of predictability. Once you get it to bind you can fiddle with it until you feel the tumbler shift (once the pin reaches the shearline).

Good luck, post results!

Just out of curiosity, have you had any luck with simpler locks?

I dont really have any experiance with other locks because the only other ones that I have are on the doors of my house and I eather have to lock myself out of the house and sit in the 90 degree air : > or sit and let the 90 degree air in. However, I might just be able to pick up a cheap house lock from the general store down the street. Any recomended brand for a newby? I cant feel any of the pins binding. And by binding I am assuming u mean in the correct unlock position. I have tried raking it and some other stuff with no luck. I would assume that it has some security pins because it was used as a money couriers bag.

Here is what the bag looked like before I gutted it for the lock.

611-11519.jpg

Thanks.

What is the brand of the lock?

For a beginner: get a Kwikset. Read the MIT guide and just practice.

I'd learn how to re-pin the kwikset you get so that you can start out with it only having one pin; moving up to two, so on.

7 pins shouldn't be too bad assuming there are no security pins, but this should not be the first lock you pick... As minion said, get a cheap 5 pin deadbolt like kwikset and work your way up... I doubt something as cheap as a bankbag has security pins and even if it does, it's probably only spooled driver pins so it's fairly easy to overcome once you understand how these pins feel. The biggest problem I've had with 7 pin locks is having a pick with a shaft narrow enough to reach the back pins without false setting the front pins. Good luck...

I believe the manufacturer is

MMF IND

Wheeling, IL

It then says made in china and RA1042 on the bottom. there is also something that looks like it can be removed from the top of the lock. I think its a thin sheet of copper

Edited by xof7

I found a new door nob replacement w/ a lock. I was able to pick it! I understand the majority of what each pin felt like when it had locked in. I basically raked the lock and got most of the pins and then I just played with the ones that I hadnt gotten yet. On the lock from the bank security bag, I can see the break in the pin where I would be able to turn the lock. I can only get one pin to set when I rake the pins. I cant get any of them to set when I try to manualy push each pin in. approximately where would the security pins be placed? At the end of the lock facing towards the key hole or where?

Thanks

Oh and in the mit guide, the diagrams have the pins with a point. I havent seen any pins in my lock with points. or am I just blind.

Edited by xof7

security pins can be anywhere, that said I've usually found them in the middle

If you have never picked a lock before I would start with a Master No. 3, put your pick all the way in the back then apply tension, and work your way to the front, the No. 3's are very easy and a good lock to boost your confidence level before moving on to better built locks.

If you have never picked a lock before I would start with a Master No. 3, put your pick all the way in the back then apply tension, and work your way to the front, the No. 3's are very easy and a good lock to boost your confidence level before moving on to better built locks.

i agree, the #3's are the ones i started on, theyre great little locks, also good to kill some time while working on a hard problem, or just to boost your confidence before trying a harder lock, or after not being able to open the harder one :P

Security pins are not generally found in the middle. They're entirely and completely randomly placed OR they're uniform throughout (all pins are security pins).

Go back to that door knob lock and pick it without raking it at all.

Ok, I made a shitty set of pics. I want to buy a GOOD set, but have little money. Any suggestions?

now I feel retarded... The bank bag lock is reversed so you cannot turn it to the left to unlock it... A friend of mine who was basically raping the lock with my picks(when i wasnt looking and bent the hell out of em) he got it unlocked. But he doesnt have any idea where he had the torque wrench or the picks in there at all. I ordered some stronger peices of metal that I can use as picks as well as an already made set. Oh and to the guy that was wondering about buying picks, I just bought some from http://www.southord.com/catalog.asp?cat=locksmith and they have a good selection.

Edited by xof7

Ok, I made a shitty set of pics. I want to buy a GOOD set, but have little money. Any suggestions?

Southord makes some daesent picks, however, get some hacksaw blades and a dremmel tool and you can make your own, although, if you have some kind of an automatic sanding machine it makes it easier than manually cuting out all your picks with a dremmel.

I have a bench grinder. it works great.