Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sh4sb0t

Cisco Networking Class

13 posts in this topic

I recently (this week) started a cisco networking class at my school, it is the first 1/2 of a cisco certified networking associate course, and I was curious if anyone else had taken a class of this sort and if so, what I should expect.

As a freshman in highschool I enrolled into Cisco Networking , I was the only freshman in the class lol , but I earn my CCNA 1 and 2 that year. You will feel so proud of your self when you complete the whole course. I got allot of hands on expierence in that class. :)

I took the first year, and part of the second before I left public high school. They're good classes, for sure. I wish I'd been able to finish them!

with the books u get, u should get a CD version as well

would be great if u could rip it and post on forums for someone like me

i only have the older versions of CCNA :(

For my Computer enginering Course at my college i had to take all four CCNA courses. you can expect a lot of hands on work especialy if your school can afford the equpment to do the labs. I spent at least 4 or 5 hours outside of class in the lab to complet the labs and case study.

The theory is very though the first course grounds you in the basics over and over again unitll you know it cold.

you cover such things as basic ip addressing, the ISO communication model, the TCPIP communicatio MODEl

In the second course the ground you thoughy in routing and routeing protocls such as RIP and Rip V2 and some OSPF. they also get some ACLs going in that course and some switching basics.

In the third course they lay the advance switching stuff on you such as spanning tree protocly and V-lans and Variable subnet maskes.

the Fouth course focuses on WAN tecnologys such as frame relay, ISDN, DSL, ADSL, T1, T2, T3.

you can expect to be taught more thoughly on Cisco networking protocols than open standered protocols. a helpfull hint that will make you live infintly better. Understand IP addressing, and Subnetting COLD, BACKWARDS,and UPSIDE DOWN. the sooner you understand it the easier your life will be in the course, especialy when you get to Variable length subnet masks and VLans.

Its a lot of information but each course breakes it down in to managable chunks and makes sure you understand it.

Good luck with the Course and have fun, its alot of work but its worth it!!!

Just make sure that when you're done learning all the Cisco stuff (I hesistate to use the term propeganda), go read TCP/IP illustrated, or The TCP Guide, or some other nonCisco book. The Cisco material is great, it's just slanted.

you guys have networking classes in high school????? lucky! all i have at mine is a pathetic programming class that takes a whole year just to teach you BASIC. :morpheus:

you guys have networking classes in high school????? lucky! all i have at mine is a pathetic programming class that takes a whole year just to teach you BASIC. :morpheus:

Cisco training I did last year was great there were no books to buy everthing was online to study but we had hands on ever class. Make sure you know Subnetting and VSLM. I am on track for SP and CISSP this term.

I\\\'ve never taken a Cisco course, but I\\\'ve seen the same people cooped up in the lab for many many hours. Some girl even often slaps the side of the machine. Enough said.

Edited by Replica

As a high school senior I'm currently taking the third (of four) semesters of the CCNA course. As you would expect, and as others have mentioned, it is very slanted toward Cisco devices. However, I have been told that moving to other devices in the networking field is very simple. In addition to the large amount of knowledge gained, having passed the CCNA exam opens up many doors for future job opportunities in college and beyond, all with nice salaries.

I highly recommend taking the class even if you never pursue a networking career. Having a network admin job in college is much nicer than working at the fast food joint.

I've taken the CCNA, CCNP, and just passed my CCIE-Routing/Switching written about 2 weeks ago...they're definitely worth it if your teachers are any good. Mine had a tendency to just read from the book and had no real-world experience. So I thought...what the hell, I'll just read the book and take the test without some neophyte reading the book to me. I've passed everyone so far...now comes the CCIE Lab with the $1200 price tag and 5% pass rate for first time takers :P.

**I'm totally phjeering :o**

I took a Cisco class and got my CCNA. Never really used it for anything though....

I took a Cisco class and got my CCNA. Never really used it for anything though....

A CCNA is incredibly basic, and you can't really do much with it. What it does give you is a foundation to go get other certs, or to understand certain elements of a network. If you have little to no networking experiance the CCNA course is a great intro. If you do have experiance it'll be a waste of time, but a good stepping stone to the CCNP/CCIP/CCISP level, which are very valuable certs.