Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anubis26

Chicago 2600 meeting

182 posts in this topic

I apologize in advance if this question is stupid or in the wrong place:

Just a little intro here: I am 13 years old, so whether I want to or not I am under (some) control of my parents. They were alright about the whole 'hacker' thing, enough so that I could buy 2600 magazine without any questions asked. Now in May 2006, someone's mom (not mentioning any names) scared my mom about 'evil hackers brainwashing her child' so she's now paranoid about anything that has to do with hacking (channel 5 didn't help, either). But I really want to go to the 2600 meeting....

... so I have a plan, but I don't know if it will work. I have a friend my age whose parents are really lax. So he can go there next month, and then 'take me along' next month, without mentioning the fact that its 2600, just saying its a 'computer conference'. But here is where I need your feedback; this kid is afraid that it is infact evil hackers and vandals going there. So he has to go with his dad, considering that we live on the other side of the city. He thinks that he will be made fun of the moment he walks in the door. What is the meeting like and what is the atmosphere there? Is it more open or just like a meeting of people who already know each other? Thanks.

WELL to start off with no we aren't evil hackers. Chicago 2600 is pretty big... depends on the weekend but we'll get usually from 20-40 people and there are always talks and people playing around with computers. As far as people being friendly and your dad feeling out of place tell him not to worry. Last month a mom came with her two kids to the meeting they probably were like 13 too. Its a cool enviroment and everyone finds something to do. ALSO, Chicago is one of the only meetings that lasts all night. We start a bit later than a normal meeting (7pm) but we go until 7:30am... so we make up for it. So if for some reason you can't make it when the meeting starts there are going to be people around all night.

Here is the website for the Chicago meetings: http://www.chicago2600.net/

There you can find information about the locations and whats going to be happening the upcoming meetings. Usually its pretty current with the information on the meetings. If something isn't updated don't worry there is always a meeting unless it specifically says 'no meeting'.

If you have any other questions lemme know.

WELL to start off with no we aren't evil hackers. Chicago 2600 is pretty big... depends on the weekend but we'll get usually from 20-40 people and there are always talks and people playing around with computers. As far as people being friendly and your dad feeling out of place tell him not to worry. Last month a mom came with her two kids to the meeting they probably were like 13 too. Its a cool enviroment and everyone finds something to do. ALSO, Chicago is one of the only meetings that lasts all night. We start a bit later than a normal meeting (7pm) but we go until 7:30am... so we make up for it. So if for some reason you can't make it when the meeting starts there are going to be people around all night.

Here is the website for the Chicago meetings: http://www.chicago2600.net/

There you can find information about the locations and whats going to be happening the upcoming meetings. Usually its pretty current with the information on the meetings. If something isn't updated don't worry there is always a meeting unless it specifically says 'no meeting'.

If you have any other questions lemme know.

Hey thanks, I've checked out the site already and signed up for the mailing list, but for some reason I thought there would be a lot more people...

EDIT: Just for clarification, it's miche'le who is going next month with his dad, and I will probably tag along with them in October .

Edited by anubis26

The chicago 2600 meetings are pretty sweet. It ranges on what we do every month but as SubZero has said we usually get 20-40 people showing up. Which is pretty large compared to the other 2600 meetings I've been to. Sometimes we will have someone present something, Maniac has done some presentations on nMap, footprinting, and metasploit as well as a few other misc things. I have done one on Nintendo DS modding and next month, Spork and I plan on doing one on WEP cracking. He is going to show the Linux side, I am going to do the Mac side and if we have enough time the Windows side as well. If you are intrested in that you should probably try to make the Sept. meeting, if you can't the PDF's or whatever we use will be on the site. As for the age of people it varies a lot, we have young people like you, and then we have some older guys. So we are all pretty much use to age difference. Also as you already know the mailing list is a great way to find out what's going on currently, don't be afraid to post to it. Also when your're at the meet don't eat Bird's cookies those are mine.

I live in Chicago northwest burbs. I was on the chicago 2600 last night and I will keep checking back. The site looks real kick ass and proffesional. I like cookies. :D Anyway, see you around.

Alk3

Damnit guys no, they are my cookies. MINE! You will have to face me in Samuari Dodgeball if you want even a crumb.

Damnit guys no, they are my cookies. MINE! You will have to face me in Samuari Dodgeball if you want even a crumb.

What is that Samurai thing? It was on the site but I have never heard of that?

One night I was drinking way to much Bawls and then I was thinking of play DodgeBawl, but no one wanted to get cut with glass. So we played Dodgeball, and ever since it has been called Samuari Dodgeball.

One night I was drinking way to much Bawls and then I was thinking of play DodgeBawl, but no one wanted to get cut with glass. So we played Dodgeball, and ever since it has been called Samuari Dodgeball.

Oh ok, its just regular dodgeball... thanks.

Most of the time yes. Once in a while we get out swords, usually they are wooden so no worries. And then play, but like I said that only happens once in a while.

Most of the time yes. Once in a while we get out swords, usually they are wooden so no worries. And then play, but like I said that only happens once in a while.

Woudn't that break the swords? (Unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing)

Sean Connery: Uh.. I'll take "Swords" for $400.

Alex Trebek: It's actually not "Swords".. these are words that begin with "S". The answer is: "Popeye is this sort of man". [ Reynolds buzzes in ] Burt Reynolds.

Burt Reynolds: What is.. Popeye?

Alex Trebek: [ sighs ] No. [ Connery buzzes in ] Sean Connery. And, remember, these are words that begin with the letter "S", i>not "Swords".

Sean Connery: [ bangs podium, thinking ] Saber!

Alex Trebek: No.

Sean Connery: It began with a bloody "S"!

Sean Connery: Uh.. I'll take "Swords" for $400.

Alex Trebek: It's actually not "Swords".. these are words that begin with "S". The answer is: "Popeye is this sort of man". [ Reynolds buzzes in ] Burt Reynolds.

Burt Reynolds: What is.. Popeye?

Alex Trebek: [ sighs ] No. [ Connery buzzes in ] Sean Connery. And, remember, these are words that begin with the letter "S", i>not "Swords".

Sean Connery: [ bangs podium, thinking ] Saber!

Alex Trebek: No.

Sean Connery: It began with a bloody "S"!

... I think I'm just plain old too dumb to understand your inside jokes... ;)

Soon enoug you will if you go to the next meeting. I know I'm planning on it. I just got a new job and they have me working nights and weekends... I better get that day off. <_<

Alk3

Yeah you're prolly thinking of the wrong way to play. But yeah hope to see you guys at the next meeting.

Soon enoug you will if you go to the next meeting. I know I'm planning on it. I just got a new job and they have me working nights and weekends... I better get that day off. <_<

Alk3

As I found out today, miche'le and his dad want to take me along to the september meeting, I just hope my parents sey yes... :help:

Awesome. Let me know if you are going to be able to make it.

Dammit, the same thing is going to happen as last month... miche'le called me and said 'my dad is in a bad mood, were not going.' So as it turns out, he probably hasn't talked to his parents about going at all, so there is no reason to believe he will in the near future. Hopefully I'll go to a meeting by 2007, though I might not. When you live in my world, you don't know... you just don't know.

I remember some of the members who parents wouldn't really want them to goto this thing just said they were at eachothers house spending the night or at another 3rd party friends house and theyd be back in the morning and then just stayed up and left at 7am like some of us do.

I remember some of the members who parents wouldn't really want them to goto this thing just said they were at eachothers house spending the night or at another 3rd party friends house and theyd be back in the morning and then just stayed up and left at 7am like some of us do.

That actually was our plan, that I would 'sleep over' at his place, so the problem is that its his parents he's not talking to, and we don't know anyone else that would be interested in going.

EDIT: I actually do know someone who would go (kn0x) but he has the same problem as we do...

Edited by anubis26

That sucks man, well let us know if you figure anything out.

That actually was our plan, that I would 'sleep over' at his place, so the problem is that its his parents he's not talking to, and we don't know anyone else that would be interested in going.

EDIT: I actually do know someone who would go (kn0x) but he has the same problem as we do...

Hey annubis, I can swing out your way friday night, pick up you and kn0x and park at the Oak Lawn station. I think it pulls into Union. From there we would just take the el up.

Post if you're interested.

Hey annubis, I can swing out your way friday night, pick up you and kn0x and park at the Oak Lawn station. I think it pulls into Union. From there we would just take the el up.

Post if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer, though I don't think it'll help... the cuplrit: channel 5. With all of their 'child raped and killed by person met on internet, met in real life' stories running almost every day, my parents have paranoia when it comes to talking (any form) over the internet. I know you're not a perv, you just want to help, but some people in aol chatrooms ruin the fun for us. :blowfuse:

EDIT: I think you could pick kn0x up that way, since I've heard that you've been over to his place before, so try that.

Edited by anubis26

Oh yeah! After talking with my mom, either she or miche'le's mom will take us. Hooray! :D:D:D So we'll be there around 7:00 / 7:30, and leave around 10:00 / 10:30 . I just hope she'll find someone to talk to there.

By the way, who should I look for there? I'll be one of 2 kids staying together looking confused :jigga3: