Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Enkil

iPOD Hack

11 posts in this topic

Just came across this on youtube.

side note, wasnt youtube facin some copyright charges a few days ago? thoguht it was down :S

http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

they dont fully support anything cides the 1 2 and 3 G, but it sorta works on all of the iPods..

really wish it workd on the others as it does on the 3G, still tho, great concept of having a ipod os sorta that you can add games and stuff like that onto..

if u go deeper into the site there are other games and such that are really cool.. (doom, various gameboy emulators) and some of that stuff is made to run on the other ipods,.

I have the 30GB video/podcast/music/photo iPod. If I were to mod it, would I be able to revert back to the orrignal firmware? Basically, is there a place to get the iPod firmware if I decide to go back? Anyway, nice post, Kudos.

-Alk3

I have the 30GB video/podcast/music/photo iPod. If I were to mod it, would I be able to revert back to the orrignal firmware? Basically, is there a place to get the iPod firmware if I decide to go back? Anyway, nice post, Kudos.

-Alk3

no, but for the most part it does work for the ipod video. The only real downside with using the video is that there are major issues with the podzilla music player (MPD) and it wont play on the 4g and 5g ipods so you have reboot into the standard ipod interface to play your music and videos. Other than that the games and most everything else works.

EDIT: link already given

Edited by tao_of_pi

QUOTE(Alk3 @ Aug 8 2006, 06:13 PM) *

-Alk3

no, but for the most part it does work for the ipod video.

um yeah thats wrong.. when u download it to the ipod it has both firmwares (linux and the apple one) , during the install you can choose which one u want to boot up on default, but u can change it on startup back and forth..

that feauture it really useful if u screw up the linux installation (done it before).. o and if u do.. its an easy fix so dont worry

I have been running ipl since it was possible to on my nano. I love it. But I took it off about 3 months ago because I was getting errors in the file system because I was running some games off of it. By games I mean I had downloaded the game to the nano and then ran it via a usb cable.

Sorry, I didn't read his post very thoroughly. I thought he was asking if a person could downgrade the ipod's firmware to a version that supports Ipod linux.

And to answer your original question, yes you can uninstal the linux firmware if you want.

Edited by tao_of_pi

http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

they dont fully support anything cides the 1 2 and 3 G, but it sorta works on all of the iPods..

really wish it workd on the others as it does on the 3G, still tho, great concept of having a ipod os sorta that you can add games and stuff like that onto..

if u go deeper into the site there are other games and such that are really cool.. (doom, various gameboy emulators) and some of that stuff is made to run on the other ipods,.

thanks for that link :D friend of mine thanks you more lol

i'm not sure if its the same one but my buddy has a 60 gig vid ipod that he put a custom firmware that he downloaded, and now he can play ogg vorbis, as well as other types that were previously unavailable. in addition, there are several skins now that he can choose instead of the typical ugly white ipod scheme... my favorite that he has is the winamp classic skin... playlist and everthing.... it is teh shit!! almost makes me want to buy an ipod... <_<

it sounds like ur buddy has rockbox http://www.rockbox.org/

apart from the fact there are less downloads for this than the linux(i dont think this has the attention that linux does) rockbox seems to be pretty cool.. i know im gonna check it out.. just gotta dig out my ipod

does anybody know of any other replacement firmware cides linux and rockbox? i dont think there are any more, but it would be cool to check out if there were..