Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cure777

Laptop Problems

9 posts in this topic

I'm not sure where this topic should go, so I apologize if this is the wrong place.

I have an old laptop, a Dell Inspiron 3800. Recently the AC Adapter over heats, and won't power my notebook. I was going to buy a new adapter tomarrow, but before I spend 80 bucks, is there any way to fix my old adapter? (I'll post pics a little later)

well if ur electricly inclined there are a couple of things you can do:

use a multimeter and check to make sure that you are getting the right power outtage

maybe its just a bad solder connection at on the laptop board, it could be loose and stuff, u never know..

cides that.. *shrug* dunno,

o and yeah i have no idea wether this in the right place, but hope that helps

Rip it apart and post Hi-Res pics.

I'm not sure how to rip it apart...no screws. Lemme post some actully pics of the adapter.

I'm not sure how to rip it apart...no screws. Lemme post some actully pics of the adapter.

if youre unsure of your ability to simply disassemble it, perhaps you ought not be going down this road to begin with...

despite my cantankerous nature and the fact that I HATE doing research for other people (who aren't paying me that is) Im giving you a freebie--check this page out... 14 bucks, not too bad, eh? there are others on there as well, all you need to do is use the search function--WAY better than overpaying, eh?

blacklines

I opened one of these for an Inspiron 5150 and it really feels like you are going to break the adapter and then it just pops open. The solder joints inside the adapter itself are pretty tight and the capacitors that I needed to resolder into the adapter I did cost like $29 with shipping anyway. You are much better off just going the aforementioned eBay route and buying a new adapter.

check to see if dell recalled it (google search the part number) I know dell has recalled alot adapters before, (they buy cheap ass ones from china).

if it hasn't been recalled, light it on fire and tell them it almost burned their house down and you are going to sue them, they will send you a new one :-D

check to see if dell recalled it (google search the part number) I know dell has recalled alot adapters before, (they buy cheap ass ones from china).

if it hasn't been recalled, light it on fire and tell them it almost burned their house down and you are going to sue them, they will send you a new one :-D

Yeah...that will definitely work too!

Yeah...that will definitely work too!

Not to mention if you do it right, you'll get a couple million along with it! </sarcasm>