1,111 posts in this topic

Hi all I'm a total noob and need all the help i can get

Hello there everyone :blink:

Totally neubie!!

Just looking around for news!!!

Thanks for heaving me!!!

-:THETECH:-

Hey all! :laugh:

I'm 12. Someones gonna ban me or say something like I'm too young I bet. But oh well.... :dry:

So I'm new and a total noob so I'm probably going to be asking a lot of questions later! :smile:

Hey all! :laugh:

I'm 12. Someones gonna ban me or say something like I'm too young I bet. But oh well.... :dry:

So I'm new and a total noob so I'm probably going to be asking a lot of questions later! :smile:

welcome Sparkstar

I do not think that anyone here will say anything about your age, or try to ban you just on that alone. This forum, while sort of dead lately, has many knowledgeable people who are for the most part friendly.

Greetings from Scotland people, where the sun, is actually out today! Blink and you will miss it.

I always think it's just polite to sign up and say hello before you go hunting through somebody else's board. I found this place through listening to Defcon podcasts. I've always been interested in tech since I was a kid and over the last few years I took the plunge, ditched windows and fell more and more in love with linux, then I fell in love with VPSs and just building them and having them do cool things. I have two friends in the States who would occasionally say "you're such a hacker" to me, but I didn't really know what they meant to be honest. So I went a looking. Then I found out that hackers weren't really what I thought they were... boy the media really loaded that word didn't they?

So I've been teaching myself tech skills and reading and learning. Then I found the Defcon talks which blew me away. Finally the Raspberry Pi I ordered arrived and I was telling my friend in the States on Skype that I got round not having a monitor with a HDMI connector by making myself, what I would call, an old composite cable out of an old nintendo cable when my friend said again "you're such a hacker"! So at that point I gave up and thought I would make a start at joining some kind of community. So I searched around, and kept coming back to this line about the "hacker ethic" I found on Wikipedia. So that is the short version of what brought me here. There's probably a lot more to say but that's enough for now.

I'm looking to learn, consolidate some skills and maybe contribute to some sort of project... I don't know... just playing with the Pi has brought back a lot of the feelings I had when I was a kid and we got a bbc micro in our school, so I'm thinking I might do something based around that.

Anyway top site, nice to meet you all.

Shad01ite here and fjears.

The binary Yin Yang impulse.

This site is the Force.

Let it be known that Pwned.

I am just as happy to be here as cDc.

My family.

Welcome all newcomers.

Edited by Shad01ite

Greetings from Germany!

Looking forward to learn and help :)

Hello all. Nice to meet you! I'm sure I'll be in the IRC very shortly :).

Hello all. Nice to meet you! I'm sure I'll be in the IRC very shortly :).

Welcome! Please do -- it's a fairly active channel, and there's almost always active discussion during EDT business hours.

I like the design. also want to learn some code and it's great to see how people want to help. Thank you guys for maintaning this resurce.

Hello everybody, nice to meet you all. @billybobcornbread definitely see some longs nights here too lol. Cheers!

Hello people,i am glad that i became a member, hope i will learn some valuable stuff inside here.

Hi. I'm really liking this site so far.

Hello!

I'm a student/sysadmin looking to get into the security field.

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to this community!

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and pretty new to learning beyond microsoft basics. Started learning Perl as my first language and I'm going through and old copy of CompTIA A+ (2009) learning the basics. I want to get into the security aspects but I'm on a limited income so I'm teaching myself. Still learning where I can go to get training without signing away my first born so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really like learning hands on but I'm afraid of damaging my one and only computer and I would be really devastated if that happened. If you could ways I can prevent that I from happening would also be greatly appreciated.

I really like learning hands on but I'm afraid of damaging my one and only computer and I would be really devastated if that happened. If you could ways I can prevent that I from happening would also be greatly appreciated.

You can always run a testing/development environment in a virtual machine. My personal choice is VirtualBox:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Free and open-source!

I'm actually trying to figure out how to put Linux on my computer along with Windows 7 and encrypting both. But I'm not finding a lot of information on how to do that.

Ahoy mates!

Found your site in my usual wanderings and a big tip o' the hat to you all. Seems like a great community... 

Let's see a bit about ole cap'n... Been in the IT field most my life(mostly as your break/fix tech. or lowly help desk 1 or 2) but I've managed to wet my beak in some interesting fields doing so as well(live & on-demand media streaming, POS systems).

My C++ skills are rusty at best at this point but I'm pretty up to date on modern web languages: HTML/PHP/XML etc. and could probably work on my jQuery/Javascript skills.

You can take a wild guess which Linux distro I'm using though I've tried and used all the majors and am now happily in the specialty aisle. Anyways that seems sufficient for now wouldn't you say?

... and don't forget to always eat a balanced breakfast!

- Cap'n'Bang 

Hey Cap'n'Bang, nice intro!

Mine's not so eloquent, but anyway...

I started in the days of dial-in BBS with a minor miracles ws2000 modem and a real, physical VT100 terminal. Fast-forward a couple of decades and I'm still using a dumb terminal although these days it's called Windows. I keep linux in it's place in a VM.

Some interesting activity I noted in wireshark on my PC peaked my interest again, so here I am.

Greetings fellows!

/Majestico

Edited by Majestico

Hello everyone. I am TheClearlyConfuzzledConch but I'd prefer to be called T3C it's just easier for all. 

A little snippet about me... There isn't much actually I'm not versed in any programming languages, but I'm learning and I will be caught up soon.

I look forward to meeting you all. 

Hey dude :laughing:  Nice to meet yo all  :laughing: