Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regicide666

MythTV HDTV ieee1394

3 posts in this topic

I use mythtv to watch and record HDTV from broadcast because my card only supports ATSC but I would love to get some channels my cable company offers also. I was reading around and found out MythTV supports firewire as and input and it can control the cable box the same way. I also found that the cable companies usually disable the ieee 1394 port. I kept reading to see what could be done than I found this http://www.timewarnercable.com/nc/products...e/firewire.html and it looks like the way to go exept it says that they need an installer to install it and the can only install it on a display.

So, what do you think? Has anyone used this? If so, how hard was it to get the box and how was the install?

I use mythtv a shitton now at my place, it rocks.

You actually dont need to use the ieee1394 port at all, you need to look into irblaster. I dont have a cable box so I have never messed with it, but it's definitly the way to go.

I use 3 tv cards and that is all my pci slots. 1 is hdtv over the air, 1 is digital cable if an irblaster to controll the box, and 1 is basc cable with no set top box. My question is about getting hdtv from a set top box over 1394 so I would have 1 more input. I am happy with what I got but I would like to record more than one HD program at a time. I have not asked my cable company for a box yet but it is planned for sometime soon.