Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr Poop

is there anyway to not accept calls on my residential line?

35 posts in this topic

Well, besides not having a phone plugged in, is there any other way?

Does AT&T offer this as an option?

You can get something called "selective call rejection" I believe, but with an analog phone, there is no way to signal back to the CO that you do not want to answer a ringing call.

Well yes, there's that, but I just want an entire phone line with no incoming calls. I don't need to get calls, only make them.

Just don't keep a phone plugged in?

Edited by Mr Poop

Well yes, there's that, but I just want an entire phone line with no incoming calls. I don't need to get calls, only make them.

Just don't keep a phone plugged in?

Oh. Call the telco and ask; I'm fairly sure you can restrict a line to be outbound-only.

DOD?

Oh. Call the telco and ask; I'm fairly sure you can restrict a line to be outbound-only.

I tried this once through Verizon, and they said in order to do that, I would need to convert my residential line to a business line. I don't think it's worth the expense.

One trick I do use involves using call forwarding. I forward the calls to a quiet termination test number, which doesn't ring, but connects to dead silence.

Edited by signull

One trick I do use involves using call forwarding. I forward the calls to a quiet termination test number, which doesn't ring, but connects to dead silence.

The problem with this is that your phone line will still ring with a splash ring every time your number is dialed.

The problem with this is that your phone line will still ring with a splash ring every time your number is dialed.

Really? How ghey.

Use the ringer on/off switch :D

Use the ringer on/off switch :D

That's okay if you don't want the phone to ring while you're trying to ball your ho, not so good for a ToneLoc session :<

DOD?

Hmm? I'm not with the department of defense!

im pretty sure decoder was saying Direct Outbound Dial... DOD

This almost looks like a joke. I've seen it on other websites before, though. I'd love to know how it works. I'm assuming that the caller does hear at least a fraction of a ring tone. I suspect this device is simply a circuit with a "fake" disconnected recording played back through the phone line when someone calls, and doesn't actually divert. How could it divert without using an additional line?

That Shomer-Tec device consists of a bridge rectifier to convert the incoming AC ring signal to DC. This prevents the phone from ringing. Mechanical ringers will only give one clank. It also triggers an optoisolator/relay to take the line off-hook across a load resistor and then triggers one of those little voice recorder ICs to feed a fake intercept recording back into the line. There is probably a 555-timer to act as a watchdog over everything. I had the actual schematic for it, but I lost it.

That Shomer-Tec device consists of a bridge rectifier to convert the incoming AC ring signal to DC. This prevents the phone from ringing. Mechanical ringers will only give one clank. It also triggers an optoisolator/relay to take the line off-hook across a load resistor and then triggers one of those little voice recorder ICs to feed a fake intercept recording back into the line. There is probably a 555-timer to act as a watchdog over everything. I had the actual schematic for it, but I lost it.

that’s an interesting device. i'd like to see the schematic for it. i guess i should try google. :mumble:

just hook the phone to your PC and use skype, that way you don't have to pay ma-bell or at&t or who ever.

Turn the ringer off on your phone, then use call forwarding to forward the line to 845-735-9927. Your callers will get "Excuse me, please deposit 5 cents for the next two minutes, or your call will be terminated... Thank you for using NYNEX"

A little trick I picked up from HOPE B)

845-735-9927. Your callers will get "Excuse me, please deposit 5 cents for the next two minutes, or your call will be terminated... Thank you for using NYNEX"

8457359927.wav

i can imagine using that recording to thwart telemarketers somehow...

I imagine a busy box would be the quickest/easiest implementation to not receive incomming calls.

Busy box- easiest of all boxes to make.

Take a phone cord, clip off the plugin, strip the wires, twist them together and plug into wall. Viola a busy line.

I imagine a busy box would be the quickest/easiest implementation to not receive incomming calls.

Busy box- easiest of all boxes to make.

Take a phone cord, clip off the plugin, strip the wires, twist them together and plug into wall. Viola a busy line.

Yes, but he still wants to make OUTBOUND calls on the same line. Merely tying up the line doesn't let him do that.