Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ups

No USB Magnetic Cards Reader/Writers

7 posts in this topic

I landed on this forums while searching for Logic Analysers, in the mean while I got some time reading a bit of everything. :D

Anyway.. my question is: Why aren't any USB magstripe writers? I was considering in buying the makstripe, but is for parallel port, and that is starting to disappear on computers (My laptop won't be having one).

Any considerations why anyone haven't tried to convert it to USB? (Or my google powers just wen't nuts?)

If you look on eBay you can find a few USB mag card readers, and if you Google for "USB magnetic card encoder" you can also find some, but they are rather expensive. My main question is; why can't you just use a printer port, or serial port card reader/writer with a USB to serial or USB to parallel port adapter?

Ya! There are a few USB writers.. but 600$.. is to much for me to pay.

The main problem with the Parallel port is that is disappearing from the computers. My desktop has one, but I'll be living abroad for a few months and the laptop I'm planning to buy has neithers Parallel or Serial (But 5 USB ports..).

I know that a lot of hardware works with the Serial-USB adapters, but not many good stories about Parallel-USB interfaces. Most devices need low level, direct to pin interface and those adapters fail to deliver that.

In the makstripe case I found that some adapters work but I haven't found one. A bit more search... But I still dream with a cheap (<100$) USB 3-Track Hi-Co Writer!

I landed on this forums while searching for Logic Analysers, in the mean while I got some time reading a bit of everything. :D

Anyway.. my question is: Why aren't any USB magstripe writers? I was considering in buying the makstripe, but is for parallel port, and that is starting to disappear on computers (My laptop won't be having one).

Any considerations why anyone haven't tried to convert it to USB? (Or my google powers just wen't nuts?)

Jaycar electronics are developing 1 it's in there catalog they are an australian electronics company it's going to cost something like £38 - £40 which basically is $50us I think