Notorious

Magstripe

13 posts in this topic

The magnetic strip on all cards weather they be ATM, Debit, Credit etc. contain data, but I would like to know does it contain the actuall PIN of my card? and if so how do I go about retrieving it or changing it?

The magnetic strip on all cards weather they be ATM, Debit, Credit etc. contain data, but I would like to know does it contain the actuall PIN of my card? and if so how do I go about retrieving it or changing it?

It does not, you can tell because if you change your pin your bank doesnt issue you a new card. I do believe it may have the account # on it but idk.

It does not, you can tell because if you change your pin your bank doesnt issue you a new card. I do believe it may have the account # on it but idk.

So with a MAG card reader/writer I can change my pin code without the bank knowing and still have it work in the ATM when I use it?

So with a MAG card reader/writer I can change my pin code without the bank knowing and still have it work in the ATM when I use it?

I'm sure they'd know somehow.

Read what he said more carefully.

your PIN info is not on the card because if it was then everytime you changed your PIN the bank would have to change the info on the mag stripe. Since they don't do that we can conclude that the PIN info is not contained within the mag stripe

I would like to know does it contain the actuall PIN of my card? and if so how do I go about retrieving it or changing it?

Does it contain your PIN? Maybe.

You can use software to retrieve what is on your mag card. You will need a reader (which you can buy off ebay or anywhere else, they are usually very cheap). To read it, I would suggest you use Acidus's software StripeSnoop available at stripesnoop.sf.net

It is by far the best program available that I have seen. If you change it on your card, you will need to get a writer (you can buy a reader and writer together as well), and you will need to get software for that too.

You can change it and the bank won't know, but then again, it won't work for your account when you and login to it as the bank keeps your real PIN, not your card (if it even has a PIN, which it shouldn't).

Edited by riscphree

My bank (NBT) may be an exception but every time I've had my pin number changed I've had to punch it in on a special mag card encoder in the bank and then they had to swipe my card through.

which bank?

I think the bottomline here is that if we can think of something, so can the people at the banks. Thus, it's safe to say that the bank has already thought about what you're planning to do and has taken measures to make sure that it won't work, simply put.

This essentially just a re-assertion of the whole, "All the crackers that get caught thought they were so smart too" point.

My bank (NBT) may be an exception but every time I've had my pin number changed I've had to punch it in on a special mag card encoder in the bank and then they had to swipe my card through.

This (i hope) should just be so that you can enter you PIN and they can attach it to your account w/o having to tell the teller what your PIN is. Basically the machine you swipe your card through is a magstripe reader that identifies your account. You type your PIN on the keypad so that you don't have to say your new PIN aloud or write it on a piece of paper. That box is probably then connected back to their LAN to contact the database about the PIN change.

I belive it was an encoder, I beleive it even said reader/writer on the machine, not to mention the fact that the teller told me that she had to run it through twice one to put the PIN on the card and once to confirm the PIN was on the card.

I belive it was an encoder, I beleive it even said reader/writer on the machine, not to mention the fact that the teller told me that she had to run it through twice one to put the PIN on the card and once to confirm the PIN was on the card.

If that is the case, I would take them to court to get that changed. That is a horrible policy. What if your card was lost or stolen? Someone would have your PIN before you changed it. If I recally correctly, Acidus sued his school because they had the students SSN on their cards, I do believe he won that too.