Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
asn

forums

13 posts in this topic

Like the topic, is there any ssl available for the forums or will there be in the future?. Reason I ask is because when at school, user:pass gets transmitted in the clear.

Currently no, but eventually there will be a SSL certificate.

why ssl?

ssl is authontication you actually visited the site , ssl is used in court of law.

ssl give no protection, unless personal certificate

why ssl?

ssl is authontication you actually visited the site , ssl is used in court of law.

I have no clue what you mean, want to rephrase?

why ssl?

They can work out that you post here anyway, not a major problem! I would and any one with common sense would lay low if the feds were after them, anyway. You wouldn't be showing up very often!

He [and many others, myself included] would like our logon details sent via SSL, to be just that little more safe. Personally, the entire fucking web should go SSL... :lol:

why ssl?

From where I'm sitting, you appear to be either a non-native english speaker, or very high.

SSL is a protocol that encrypts traffic, so that things like passwords DON'T get sent in the clear.

nubish question - wouldn't be just fine if you submitted your pass and user info, while under a proxy???

nubish question - wouldn't be just fine if you submitted your pass and user info, while under a proxy???

It would still pass as plain text. A proxy just "hides" where you are actually from. For example, you log onto the forums and it records that you are coming from "10.10.50.2"; a proxy would be used to say that you are coming from "10.10.50.100" instead.

Not to mention you have no idea how the proxy is setup, what type of proxy it is, what level of anonimity does the proxy have, is it a honeypot... among other things. Good info from Wikipedia here.

Has anyone tried any of the cheaper ssl certificate services?

I'm wondering why godaddy wants $40 for two years and verisign wants $700 for two years.

I tried a place that gave (and I believe still does) free ones, I don't have the name of the place off hand, but I bet I have it in an email somewhere. I don't have any complaints, but after I gave it a shot, I decided that SSL was worthless (it was not sensitive material) in my case and it only offered the clients slower speeds since most of them were on dialup.

Has anyone tried any of the cheaper ssl certificate services?

I'm wondering why godaddy wants $40 for two years and verisign wants $700 for two years.

Since the users are only really worried about their information being encrypted then you might aswell generate your own certificate. You would only want one from versign if you needed to have a way for your visitors to verify they were on the correct site. The only problem about signing your own certificate is that the browser is going to complain about it not being able to verify it with a certificate authority like verisign.

The only problem about signing your own certificate is that the browser is going to complain about it not being able to verify it with a certificate authority like verisign.

Thats the exact reason why the forums don't have an SSL certificate right now. I'm worried about new people being scaried away by that message. I want to try to find a free or cheap certificate. If I can't find a signed certificate then I will probably self sign it and add a line to the faq explaining why there is a pop up.