anthrax_postman

Unix VS Linux

20 posts in this topic

I'm just curious to know what the difference between Linux and Unix are.

I'd hate to start a war between Linux and Unix users so please only post facts about the differences between the systems.

:nono: Example: The difference between Linux and Unix is that Unix is a piece of crap. :nono:

Thanks in advance.

Edited by anthrax_postman

Linux is free and open source.

That's all it takes in my book. :)

Unix is sorta free and open source if you actually count the BSD's

Linux is a kernel, but often used as a term to describe the GNU system with the Linux kernel as a whole (GNU/Linux). UNIX is a branch of operating systems based on AT&T Bell Labs' UNIX developed in the 60s and 70s. The UNIX trademark is currently owned by The Open Group. Both the GNU and the Linux initiative was made to be compatible with the UNIX operating systems, but does not contain code from UNIX.

Well, the development of BSD is less userbased, and less is added by the Gen Public.

some synataxical differences

Well I meant the original, old school Unix from Bell Labs.

The original old skool unix was free and open-sourced if I remember correctly.

to quote from O'Reilly's 'UNIX IN A NUTSHELL':

"...the specification of what makes a system 'Unix' is embodied primarily in the POSIX standard, an international standard based on System V and BSD. Commercial Unix systems...Solaris...AIX...and HP-UX...are standard-adhering direct descendants of the original Unix systems."

GNU/Linux contains none of the original Unix source code and still offers standards compliance and compatibility with SVR4 and earlier versions of BSD.

System V Release 4 (SVR4) came from Unix System Laboratories (USL, then a division of AT&T) in the late 80s, merged BSD and SVR3.

The diffrence between linux and unix is unix is a peice of crap.

Isn't linux newer then unix? Like, aren't they an upgraded version or something?

Isn't linux newer then unix? Like, aren't they an upgraded version or something?

Did you try to create the worst sentence ever? If so good job, I guess.

To quote everyones favorite bad mother fucker, allow me to retort:

1.wrong

2.yes, no

Dude, what the fuck. It should be a crime to be so ignorant.

Octal, you are a disgrace. Hang your head in shame.

For some reason this reply reminded me of ..... this

Thanks for making me remember this awesome site. I nearly forgot about it.

This is so retardedly wrong, it's literally laughing out loud hilarious. You say UNIX is a piece of crap as if you actually know yet ask an equally stupidly retarded question based on your ignorance.

You missed the joke as I assume.

I'm pretty sure there was no joke.

I'm just curious to know what the difference between Linux and Unix are.

I'd hate to start a war between Linux and Unix users so please only post facts about the differences between the systems.

:nono: Example: The difference between Linux and Unix is that Unix is a piece of crap. :nono:

Thanks in advance.

How do you guys miss this VERY obvious joke. Notice right here it says::nono: Example: The difference between Linux and Unix is that Unix is a piece of crap. :nono: .He was just playing off that. Don't mean to flame, but seriously, idiots. He was kidding. If you can't figure it out at this point, then wow. Maybe if you learned to read the first post from now on.... I also think you owe octal an apology. BTW octal, nice avatar. Calvin and Hobbes has been my favorite since I was 6 :D

Edited by Cure777

Ahahahahaha. Well, everyone else was mad at him or whatever, I was actually just wondering what the second sentence was about. The worst sentence ever remark by me is because it really isn't everyday you see a sentence with five errors in it.

The second sentence is literally laugh out loud hilarious. I have to agree with that.

So whatever, I don't mind apologizing. Sorry I made fun of your sentence and wondered what that crazy updated version of UNIX stuff was about.

Now that I made nice, how can you be sure he wasn't stating an actual opinion, disregarding the thread parents statement? After all, people use emoticons for a reason. Without them, many times your words can come across as perceived facts or held opinions. :\

Yay, another compare and contrast UNIX/Linux/$_ thread crashing fast! :flush:

Ahahahahaha. Well, everyone else was mad at him or whatever, I was actually just wondering what the second sentence was about. The worst sentence ever remark by me is because it really isn't everyday you see a sentence with five errors in it.

The second sentence is literally laugh out loud hilarious. I have to agree with that.

So whatever, I don't mind apologizing. Sorry I made fun of your sentence and wondered what that crazy updated version of UNIX stuff was about.

Now that I made nice, how can you be sure he wasn't stating an actual opinion, disregarding the thread parents statement? After all, people use emoticons for a reason. Without them, many times your words can come across as perceived facts or held opinions. :\

Yay, another compare and contrast UNIX/Linux/$_ thread crashing fast! :flush:

That sentence had five erorrs in it? Well, this is a hacking forum, not an english forum.

Well how do you know I wasn't? With the trust of my word? Well, I was joking about that first sentence.

I also think you owe octal an apology. BTW octal, nice avatar. Calvin and Hobbes has been my favorite since I was 6

Thanks, hobbes is awsome.

Edited by Octal