Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
decoder

private

18 posts in this topic

.com

NYC, bitches. :D

And you can get it to send you a text message when you get a voicemail. leet.

Edited by unity

Ads just when you call to check or for everyone?

Yea I bet people will call it from their own phone with setting up the voicemail. Hence a call record is associated with your real phone. But smart ppl will call it dolo style to check it. Hey btw, these get cid right? not cpn? They offer alot of numbers.

Ads just when you call to check or for everyone?

Unfortunately, everyone hears the ad when they call to leave you a message. So you can't use this for SEing purposes or anything.

If there wasn't adverts, I would have kept this to myself. -_-

I heard about this from a TV commercial, and from what I can gather from the website, the commercial is being shown in the NY, LA and Las Vegas areas.

For some reason i was unable to setup a account using firefox. I had to use IE anyone else have this problem? Thanks for the heads up decoder..

Edited by ic0n

Unfortunately, everyone hears the ad when they call to leave you a message. So you can't use this for SEing purposes or anything.

If there wasn't adverts, I would have kept this to myself. -_-

I heard about this from a TV commercial, and from what I can gather from the website, the commercial is being shown in the NY, LA and Las Vegas areas.

Actually, I heard heard this ad on the radio last week while I was driving home, then later saw the commercial on TV here in Massachusetts. I never bothered to make an account myself because when I called the number, they required me to be calling from a cell phone, and so I just put the idea aside. But yeah, that blows that they have advertisements of their own service, it's just like Laser Voicemail and K7, and even that cheesy Flashmail that mimicked Laser Voicemail in Massachusetts. When you keep your eyes peeled to the TV commercials, you never know what you may find, as we've learned from all those toll-free numbers that would pull name and address information from the phone number you entered like that famous Visit Florida number. Anyway, it's time for me to go order some Dominos now; I'm awfully hungry. ;)

This was posted on alt.2600 or some newsgroup that is only occasionally ontopic. I forget if it was alt.2600, but I saw it about a month ago, and was disappointed about the ads for callers myself too Decoder.

That sucks, I liked Privatephone's ability to give local #'s...

I originally thought that this wasn't going to affect Privatephone, just NetZero's voip service. That really is too bad, because I used my number for many things. I guess I'll have to start giving out my Grandcentral number, but they might start charging eventually, and I might lose that one too.

Rather then create a new thread I thought I'd bump this one.
PRIVATEPHONE SERVICE WILL BE ENDING ON FEBRUARY 19, 2008

http://account.netzero.net/s/voiptransfer?action=viewPPForm

Any alternatives?

I've been looking for an alternative myself. I need to look harder though. I want to be able to choose a LOCAL number, as well as have text alerts on my messages. I found an alternative somewhere, but they wanted 4-5 dollars a month for it, which I guess isn't that bad for a paid voicemail service. Problem is that a lot of these voicemails don't offer local numbers or text alerts.

Rather then create a new thread I thought I'd bump this one.
PRIVATEPHONE SERVICE WILL BE ENDING ON FEBRUARY 19, 2008

<a href="http://account.netzero.net/s/voiptransfer?action=viewPPForm" target="_blank">http://account.netzero.net/s/voiptransfer?action=viewPPForm</a>

Any alternatives?

I've been looking for an alternative myself. I need to look harder though. I want to be able to choose a LOCAL number, as well as have text alerts on my messages. I found an alternative somewhere, but they wanted 4-5 dollars a month for it, which I guess isn't that bad for a paid voicemail service. Problem is that a lot of these voicemails don't offer local numbers or text alerts.

You could always try to scan for an unoccupied vmb, and then just set one up there. A little while back, I found a whole bunch of empty vmbs that had default passwords. The only problem with this is that its sort of unreliable. Mine only lasted for a couple of months.

Finding an unused VMB on default is not just unreliable, it won't compare to the features that PrivatePhone has. The text alerts to your cell phone was the best feature they offered because when someone left me a message, I'd immediately be able to get back to them.

simplevoicebox.com has free voicemail with email alerts. I set the email to go to a an address that is forwarded to my cell phone. The numbers are in the 641 and have a 5 digit pin code for people calling in. You can access the voicemails by calling in to your box with a admin code. There's 3 features of voicemail boxes, record, Playback only, Record and Playback and Dial out. When you select Dial out it asks for the number to dial but I haven't tested this option. This definetly isn't the most convenient way to do it but it does get the job done.