Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

help me boot this computer

8 posts in this topic

so here's the deal. i was given a Dimension 4700 because the person i got it from said it was broke. So i thought hey its pretty new and im sure i can get it to work since they know fuck all about computers. To my surprise and about 4 days of fucking with it im ready to start it on fire and dance around its burnt corpse.

When the box boots up the xp splash screen comes up and then blue screens saying somthing about it not being able to mount the drive. so i boot into the diagnostic tools on the drive and run the test they have on the drive. everything comes back as saying the drive is shot.

So i go out and buy a new sata drive for the box. slap that bitch in there, put my win2k cd in the dvd drive, start it up and *beep* *beep* no bootable drive found.... alright. reboot, f12 to select dvd drive to boot... *beep* *beep* no bootable drive found...ok. take new drive out, put it in another computer, install windows on the drive, put it back in the dell POS, same beeps and no bootable device found. I checked cables to make sure they were in the mobo and connected properly to the drives. i then call the fucktards called dell tech support in hopes they can help me. *waits 30 minutes on hold* to find that the computer isn't under warrenty *duh* and that i would have to call the fee based support line. /me gets furious hangs up and calls it a day.

I go to sleep to do a mental defrag of my day in hopes that the next day will bare some better fruit to get this shitbox up and running. *goes to work* i searched google a majority of my day looking for a solutioin to this problem. only to find that the box that was given to me could be a fire hazard. i make a mental note to check about the case fan... back on topic.

Got home and started on this bitch again. thought to myself "hey since its a maxtor hard drive i know there is a tool on their site that might help" downloaded PowerMax ran that to find that the hard drive is going bad *no shit*.

*takes a breath*

so here i am asking if anyone else has an idea to salvage this box before i sacrifice a goat and ask Xenu to reserect it for me.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by twirlz

So, what you're saying is, you started with all the original hardware, and the orgininal HDD was fucked, so you replaced it. Then tried to boot from the DVD drive, but it wouldn't recognize it. So you went to a different computer and installed win 2k on the new HDD. Moved the new HDD back to the Dell, and still nothing. I would recommend trying to boot from a drive that you know works, if you have a POS HDD with any OS on it at all try booting from that.

I have new had the oppotunity to work with SATA, only IDE. So the advice I would've given was check to make sure it's set as master or cable select. But that's about all I can tell you. But if you give up, I could use a computer, regardless if it doesn't work. I have time to tinker. :lol:

So, what you're saying is, you started with all the original hardware, and the orgininal HDD was fucked, so you replaced it. Then tried to boot from the DVD drive, but it wouldn't recognize it. So you went to a different computer and installed win 2k on the new HDD. Moved the new HDD back to the Dell, and still nothing. I would recommend trying to boot from a drive that you know works, if you have a POS HDD with any OS on it at all try booting from that.

I have new had the oppotunity to work with SATA, only IDE. So the advice I would've given was check to make sure it's set as master or cable select. But that's about all I can tell you. But if you give up, I could use a computer, regardless if it doesn't work. I have time to tinker. :lol:

the new hard drive does boot because i did try it on my computer.

After you replace the cables, try replacing the optical drive (cdrom or whatever) and if it's still not working, there's something messed up on the mobo (at least that is my opinion).

Perhaps the SATA controller is the cause of the problem? Have you tried booting an IDE drive in it -- I'm assuming you have at least one IDE channel for the optical drive. If none of that works, try a USB boot with a SLAX USB distro or something. At least if you get something loaded on it, you can check to see if there's hardware damage.

This Dull laptop sounds like it has a bad hard drive controller or chip. When you run the hard drive tests try to use one that displays the locations of the drive that are bad. If you pay attention you might notice a pattern to the numbers. If there is some sort of pattern then it's definite that the controller is the problem. Although, with a new drive not being recognized it sounds more the bios is fubar.

If you have a failing CMOS battery it sometimes resets the BIOS back to default. I would look there and just make sure everything is set up correctly.