cypress

Linux for Laptops

56 posts in this topic

I'm running Slackware 10.2 on my Thinkpad x22 andusing blackbox as my wm. Stil messing with acpi though.

Gentoo 2006.0, kernel 2.6.17.3 & Fluxbox on my Inspiron 600m.

Mepis 6.0 beta on a Dell Inspiron 5150

I originally ran Mepis 3.2 on this lappy then switched to Debian Etch w/Xfce, but found that after multiple package updates I was having trouble keeping things running and that it was time for a clean install. I noticed that Mepis 6.0 beta had been released and thought I'd give it a whirl. Nice to have a system that "just works" again. Waiting for the "official" 6.0 release and then I'll probably do a fresh install again just to keep everything clean.

These are *NIXes, not just Linux. Gentoo/OS X on an iBook G4. OS X on a Macbook Pro. FreeBSD on a Sager NP8890. Gentoo on a Dell Smartstep 200N. OS X on a Powerbook G4. Having said all of this, the choice of a distro for your laptop is irrelevant, laptop support is the same for whatever one you choose once you recompile the kernel (provided you set everything up correctly) so you should go with the one you like the best (as far as general usage is concerned.)

I solve the problem by running os x; it's based on a better unix core, and everything just works. Lots of luck cobbling something together that doesnt suck, though.

What flavor of linux do you run on your laptop? Not just for hacking wireless and fun like that, but just in general. On what laptops/hardware do you run it?

Thanks in advance,

Cypress

I'm running Ubuntu Dapper on a Vaio PCG-FXA53. Up until a few days ago I was dual booting Gentoo with Windows XP on an Acer Travelmate 2300, but I got rid of linux because I needed more space for some Windows progs.

Ubuntu 6.06 on an IBM T30. Considering moving to Slack, though.

Sony Vaio U1 w/ Slackware 10.2

New Dell Inspiron E1505 running ZenWalk. My Dell came with windows media edition, and some really weird extra partition they had on there for backups. The size of the partition was almost 17 gig though. So, I just deleted that partition, and installed linux onto it.

I installed a new kernel (2.6.17.1) with dual core processor support, and I was able to get the sound card working (to an extent). The internal wireless wasn't that difficult to setup, but if you install the ipw3945 drivers, you have to uncomment the option for MONITOR mode, or you won't be able to run kismet with the card.

Processor: 1.83 ghz duo core

Memory: 512 MB

Video: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 (128 mb)

One thing though, it doesn't come with a pcmcia slot, it has PCI-Express, so if you don't like the internal

wireless card, you'll probably have to get a USB one. Anyways, hope this helps with anybody using

this laptop, or a similar one.

Note: The great thing about Dual core processors... You get two pictures of Tux at boot up

instead of just one :) One for each processor... they look so great together! *sniff*

Edited by stderr

Slackware 10.2 on my Toshiba Satellite 2540CDS.

Took a while to get everything working just right but it works like a dream now.

Anyone who owns this laptop will know the trouble I've seen with it's ToPIC97 PCMCIA Controller and Yamaha sound drivers.

Next laptop I'm getting is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-72, anyone have experience installing Linux on a Panasonic Toughbook?

Edited by theurgy

Once I get a black mac book, with upgraded RAM (ordering soon) I'm gonna put LFS (Linux From Scratch).

I currently use a new release of Solaris 10 i86pc. I can't deny the huge line of Drivers for both Linux and on BSD (OpenBSD). I'm looking for something more of a standard the VMWARE would be the best way for you to play around safely with whatever OS your heart desires. as long as you can still use a OS that won't die on you afterwards. I've tried Solaris 10 before where the bootloader is 4.10 but it seems that hardware support really sucks, but i think this new release of Solaris has a more 'pc based approach'

# uname -a

SunOS zeno 5.10 Generic_118855-14 i86pc i386 i86pc

i recommend you try what you want to try either Linux or BSD or even Solaris

as long as it's free to download either it's CCDL or GPL or BSD agreement. Play with it that's the beauty of computers

cheers :blush:

Panasonic toughbook with ubuntu thinking of trying tin foil hat linux

Once I get a black mac book, with upgraded RAM (ordering soon) I'm gonna put LFS (Linux From Scratch).

Change that, I'm running it on a hp. This hp owns. 1 gig of ram, 120 gig hard drive. I love it. I can't wait till I get my linux in the mail.

Fedoracore 5 on an Compaq laptop Presario R4000

Slackware Linux 10.0 Compaq Presario m2000 with 640mb Ram and 40gb HD . I love the slackware theme.

All the Colors :P Runs really smoothly for me!

i like BackTrack, burn it, boot it, and it's all ready to use even on my pos laptop that i could never get any linux distro to run on.

it's so easy

Dell c600 800mhz 512mb ram ubuntu 6.06 on the drive i use the most, slackware 10.1 on another, and xp pro on another. I love when laptops have easy to remove hd caddys. I bought 3 extra caddys off of ebay for like 10 bucks, well worth it.

FreeBSD 6.0, on a pos laptop.

Stripped a lot of services out of the kernel, got X working, and that ports system has pretty much every app I could desire at my fingertips :D

Slackware 10.1 on my Toshiba Satellite 4015CDT, with WindowMaker & Fluxbox as the WMs...

Fedora Core 5 on a HP Pavillion ze4900. Needed a pcmcia wifi card. It has a broadcom 43xx in it. :(

im running zenwalk slackware on hp pavilion zv6100

Fedora Core 5 on a HP Pavillion ze4900. Needed a pcmcia wifi card. It has a broadcom 43xx in it. sad.gif
try ndiswrapper? Edited by hbp71605

hpb you don't need ndiswrapper anymore for a bcmw43xxx chipset it's in the kernel anything about 2.6.17 now. if you need help on how to compile a kernel man just post.