Professor Bagelwood

What do you use to securely wipe your computer?

21 posts in this topic

Just want to see what other tools are out there.

For formatting HDs, I use Darik's Boot and Nuke (http://dban.sourceforge.net/). Good stuff. I heartily recommend it.

For just wiping unused space and the recycle bin, I had been using Active Privacy Guardian Washer (http://www.apgpro.com/), but it costs money and isn't open source, which makes me sad. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good product, but I'd still like to replace it. I mean, there are plenty of programs like CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) that are good for just cleaning stuff, but they don't securely wipe stuff like unused HD space. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Added links. :)

Edited by Professor Bagelwood

Binrev radio has a episode called 'Digital Forensics'

dban is the only tool i recommend i haven't found any other free tools that are nearly as good

-Enigma

dban is the only tool i recommend i haven't found any other free tools that are nearly as good

-Enigma

Right, but DBAN is just for formatting entire partitions and hard drives though. Very different purpose than APGW and Eraser.

For the record, I just tried the new Eraser Beta and my system went a little wonky. It did look like it had the features I wanted though, so I'm going to give the most recent stable release a try and see if it's still wonky.

I second eraser. Although I have not tried the new beta. I use 5.6 and have had a company try and find old files for me. They got one out of about 75. So I guess it works pretty good.

in linux you do shred, and in windows you hold down shift when deleting and there is no need to wipe your hard drive because you can't recover it in the first place. I think spinrite can rewrite over freespace I not to sure though.

in linux you do shred, and in windows you hold down shift when deleting and there is no need to wipe your hard drive because you can't recover it in the first place. I think spinrite can rewrite over freespace I not to sure though.

Um, did you listen to BRR149? Shift+Del in Windows deletes the files just like they went to the Recycling Bin, which is just deleting the inode pointer to the file(s). The information is still there, I don't know where you got the idea that it's not.

Professor Bagelwood: I suggest you listen to BRR149 because I threw out a lot of programs and stuff during the show.

Personally, I use the Linux util `wipe` to wipe block devices, shred/wipe to delete files, and Eraser in Windows to wipe my free space (I use combination of Gutmann and DoD 5220-22.M specs) and I always purge my pagefile upon shutdown/reboot of the machine.

If I'm getting rid of a drive, I make sure to run a few tools over it to help in obfuscating the data even further,

So, I take it "rm -rf /" is for pussies, Do "wipe -rf /" if you want to be a real MAN???

`rm -rf /` just deletes pointers and inodes too, the data IS there still.

`rm -rf /` just deletes pointers and inodes too, the data IS there still.

I know that but everytime some talks about the eszy way to fuckup your *nix Os they say "rm -rf /". their pussies a real man would do "wipe -rf /" that way you can't get it back.

Yeah I always DBAN computers before selling them although I heard data could still be recovered from the drives using an electron microscope.

Yeah I always DBAN computers before selling them although I heard data could still be recovered from the drives using an electron microscope.

Even if you do like 15 rounds of wiping? Usually when I use DBAN, I go for overkill and let it run constantly for days. It gives me peace of mind, or so I thought.

Edited by signull

Even if you do like 15 rounds of wiping? Usually when I use DBAN, I go for overkill and let it run constantly for days. It gives me peace of mind, or so I thought.

Yeah, 15 rounds won't do it against anyone really determined to get your data. That's why the only really secure way to make your data unrecoverable is incineration. I was just looking at this article about the Gutmann method that looks pretty promising, but even after wiping a hard drive with the Gutmann method the data isn't totally unrecoverable as stated in this Wikipedia article.

*cough* microwave *cough*

I seriously suggset all of you listen to BRR149, we talked about ALL of this for 90mins. Afterwards, I think none of you would have any questions about what works and what doesn't work.

Yup, I found BRR149 very effective and educating. I *am* going to work on ways to physically destroy a drive tho, hopefully with videos (I do have access to heavy duty stuff, like thermite, and I was planning to test a bench grinder and cutting torch on the platters as well).

i said it before and i'll say it again, you smelt your harddrive into the shape of a rock, and toss it in a river. it's brilliant! but no i don't have anyways of wiping an hd other than reformatting. and completely deleting and recreating the partitions.

BCwipe is good also, it wipes the free space up to 7times