Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
unity

(ARCHIVE) Wawina

86 posts in this topic

Oh damn. It's SF. Here I thought it was MF, and I was attempting to MF into it. I'll try SF. :S

Since it seems the site hosting the other recordings has gone down, here's a few recordings of the carrier system from my line. Apologies for the hiss on the line superimposed over the N2 carrier. That's the bit raided carrier system we have down here.

Wawina AIS - 488-0000

When I called, the machine took about forty seconds to get around to talking, but it still gives a lengthy sample of what the carrier system sounded like. Afterwards, I stay on until the tandem switch cuts me off and takes me to a local recording.

The Mental Health Hotline

Supervision Test

This recording goes on for a while as well. Over time, the steady, flashing busy tone steadily increases in amplitude, until it's about 6 dB higher than it was when it started off. If you listen closely, you can also hear what sound like muted 2600 under the busy tone :) .

Also, Shane if you need hosting for the pictures, I'd be more than happy to host them for you.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker, I originally dumped those recordings on a free host because I was running out of room on my paid hosting account. The recordings are down and so is the main page for the host. I've never had good luck with free hosting anyway. I edited the post and changed the links, so the recordings are back up on a reliable host. I also have one other recording that I found, 218-488-2368 is a disconnected number. There's been recordings of this before and ThoughtPhreaker posted one right above this post, but since I have it, I figured I'd upload it.

That Mental Health hotline is pretty damn funny. I never called it before since I thought it was an actual mental health facility, and I had no reason to bother them. Bob and Shane really do have a good sense of humor.

I originally dumped those recordings on a free host

You can upload them as an attachment to the thread too.

JoyBubbles told me about Wawina a couple years ago, I phreaked out and told a few friends about it (who will remain nameless unless they chime up here...). We blueboxed the switch a lot, and were totally fascinated by it. Personally, that was one thing I had always wanted to try more than anything else. Blueboxing is what initially got me intereste in phreaking. Not from a malicious or fradulent standpoint, but a fascination of being able to put your call through by yourself, and make it go where you wanted to go. Some friends of mine were messing with C5 which was cool, but to find something in the US that could still be manipulated was amazing to say the least. Wawina was pretty much the "holy grail" for me, it's a shame to see it go. We had our fun with it but I pity anyone else who didn't get to play with it. Also if it wasn't for Wawina, most of us wouldn't have ever found Livengood, AK (907-295-)... which by the way, we found by searching by switchtype on Telcodata. Wawina runs a RedCom Labs MDX384... it was a stretch that and other MDX were inband but when you're desperate and curious its worth a try.. and it paid off.

that's funny, av1d, because joybubbles told me about wawina a few years ago, too. I guess a lot of people heard about it from him.

Ha, interesting! Have you talked to him lately?

Last time I talked to him was about the same time that the new 762 area code was going live. Somewhere around there, anyways. It was about a few weeks after. Does that count as lately? :)

Yeah, that's fairly recent.

I found out about Wawina, MN from Default Radio episode #100, where Lucky225 blue boxed a call into Wawina. When I called a disconnected number and heard a cheep of 2600 after the recording, I almost didn't believe it. That was almost exactly a year since I heard that episode. I made a recording of a disconnected number in Livengood in December of last year, but I don't know how I found out about it.

BlakeOPS, I thought the 37 meg file might time out since I have pretty slow upload speeds, so I just decided to upload them all to my free host. For smaller files, it is very nice to be able to attach them to the post.

I bet theres more inband trunks waiting to be discovered in northern parts of Canada. Anyone else up for a massive scan? :devil:

I bet theres more inband trunks waiting to be discovered in northern parts of Canada. Anyone else up for a massive scan? :devil:

sure. i'm game! what npa? nxx?

Maybe, maybe not. Remember Nebraska?

I'm down also, btw avid was it a few people from that group we used to be part of? I remember talking about it with a few people from that group. Nice to see you around agian, I losted your celly number agian. Blah back to the grind.

Hey, that sounds like a cool idea. :) If you're looking for exchanges in remote areas, I'd suggest maybe NPA 819 and of course, the top of the world, NPA 867. :)

area code 819 information. 819 was one damn big npa. :blink: to whom do we submit the scans to?

Your mom!

Haha, just kidding. I dunno, av1d suggested it, do you want the scans, av1d?

There really isn't a whole lot to scan there. All you have to do is call the exchange, blow 2600Hz, and mark what happens.

Can someone please tell me what was special about all this? What does 2600 have to do with it all?

Can someone please tell me what was special about all this? What does 2600 have to do with it all?

Reading some docs on old phone phreaks would help.

It's a tone that does something with trunks(?... i don't know much)

There is some more information about the last days of Wawina at the end of the phreaking article on wikipedia. It's sad to see it go but I guess good things can't last forever.

-spaceout

There is some more information about the last days of Wawina at the end of the phreaking article on wikipedia. It's sad to see it go but I guess good things can't last forever.

-spaceout

it says Jason Scott, it was Jayson Smith wasn't it ^_^

Actually, it was Lucky225 and I. Jayson Smith was connecting over the Collector's Network. Then someone, I believe it was Jayson, blew 2600, which disconnected Lucky and I, and we had to come back in over T-carrier since the N2 wasn't handling incoming calls anymore.

Edited by JmanA9

Jman, then update the article. I dunno what your real name/handle is, but put yourself in there if the information isn't factually correct, yeah.