Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
unity

(ARCHIVE) Wawina

86 posts in this topic

When you whistle it off you can hear the "cheep chunk" sound, which is like a supervision tone (some one correct me if I am wrong on the tone), and then a relay being thrown, a kind of loud click. Then you hear the same thing as if you let the intercept (on +1-218-488-2600) play through twice and the line is "silent". However, when I heard it get whistled off, the lines seemed to all be very noisy so you can't hear it (the "cheep chunk") as well as on some of the old phone trip recordings. www.wideweb.com/phonetrips has many recordings on which you can hear what happens. Hope this helped.

-light

Here's a recording of the confirmation "cheep-chunk" sound you get from Wawina's carrier system. Anyone attempting to whistle off the trunk or MF a local call, keep in mind that it'll only work when the call actually goes offhook/charges on certain long distance carriers, such as Sprint. This does not include carriers such as AT&T and Verizon, as both will let you talk over the long distance system regardless.

EDIT: Are you sure that's a relay? Here's a few relays I've encountered. They don't seem to sound much like the soft tick given by the carrier system.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Here's four recordings of things in Wawina:

218-488-1307 is the recording of the message board. It was recorded on June 10 around 1 in the morning. There's some famous phone phreaks and people from binrev that recorded a message. Just a warning, the file is 34.2 megs and is a little more than an hour long.

218-488-TIME(8463) is the recording of the time number. It does not supervise. At the very end, you hear the AT&T recording stating that the party is not answering, and the call will be disconnected. That's because the line never supervises.

218-488-8464 is the same thing as 218-488-8463, but it supervises. So, you get to hear a chirp of 2600 at the end.

218-488-9103 is the supervision test.

There will probably be more to come later.

Edited by JmanA9

OMG!!! I can't believe I just whistled it off - on my first try ever! Wawina, I love you!!! :D

Ponyboy, dude our last recording from the payphone ni the hotel sucks, or at least it did in the recording jman posted >_< that sucks

anyway, thanks for posting those jman!

My audio was kinda crappy but I've been cleaning it up. I've got about 3 hours of the message line but I know it was only an hour or so. I'll post the mp3/wav tonight. I may even record it agian this time from some copper.

i have some old recordings of a few diffferent wawina error messages that i had found a while back, i'll post them if someone could give me somewhere to host them <3

the intercept at 218 488 2600 is voiced by Allison Smith iirc

Edited by TelcoBob

i have some old recordings of a few diffferent wawina error messages that i had found a while back, i'll post them if someone could give me somewhere to host them <3

the intercept at 218 488 2600 is voiced by Allison Smith iirc

send them my way I'll host them.

Telephone World has some recordings of the old Wawina intercept messages.

At the bottom of this page, there are the two most recent "Automated Intercept" recordings. Near the bottom of this page, there's two older intercept recordings from Wawina. I guess they've always had a sense of humor in Wawina :voteyes:

I found out why there is a lot of background noise on all calls to Wawina. Ironically, its because of the new carrier system being run alongside the N2. The noise cuts down a lot after the call supervises, but you can still hear it in the background. The noise is here to stay until the end of the N2. I hope there's enough combined high-fidelity material of Wawina to provide a good representation of what the carrier normally sounded like.

Jman, yeah, I beleive it was Friday night that they started running the T-1 in parallel. I talked to Bob and he was saying they were going to start running the T-carrier in parallel, and trying it out on a few lines.

TelcoBob: Allison smith did all the intercept recording for 218-488. :) Allison Smith ftw! :)

TelcoBob: Allison smith did all the intercept recording for 218-488. :) Allison Smith ftw! :)

she did all the current ones, but before her they were all voiced by some guy (around 1999 i believe), don't know if it was one of the two guys that run it or not, i have a recording of this somewhere, ic0n, ill send them all your way when i finish all the days work <3

Yeah, it was either Shane or Bob that was doing the recordings before. I was talkin' about the current ones. They're the guys who run the switch, btw.

Well, I began playing around with the 1399 number and was seizing the trunk with a 2600 tone. However, when I tried sending DTMF tones it would automatically throw up a busy signal and I would have to clear with another 2600 tone. Has any one else tried this and gotten anything different?

I called yesterday and it sounded like a low static so i hung up.

The testing on the new T-1 carrier was completed today. You can hear the new carrier on (218) 488-7207. This is the 1307 line, but on T-1 carrier instead of the N2. The cut is still scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. If you haven't left a message on (218) 488-1306 already, you should do so pretty soon!

dominatus: that's the normal way that it should work.

:(

The cutover has happened, sometime between 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm CDT, so that means no more N2 carrier. :(

Edited by El Jefe

Looks like the recording has moved...

218-488-2600

And it's there to stay. If you haven't recorded a message on 1306, you're outta luck, I beleive.

no more N2 carrier. :(

Alaska :)

Oh hey, I see Shane is browsing this thread. :)

Also, I thought there were some complications with MFing through 907-295. Does it have weird timings or something? I tried 60ms on, 60ms off, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried a variety of things, KP+0 then seven, KP+1 and then seven, KP+0 then NPA-NXX-XXXX + ST, KP+1 + NPA NXX +XXXX + ST...and so on. Anyone have any luck MFing through there?

Just a couple of notes about the cut today in Wawina (It is spelled Wawina)

15:12, the last cirucit was cut over to T1

about 17:15 we pulled the breaker on the N2 system.

It's beleived to be the last N2 system. Alaska may or may not be N2, it's SF for sure, but could be radio (Mircowave or Sat). If it is N2 It's probably Lynch and not WECO.

I have pictures of the Wawina end of the N2 which I'll put online sometime soon. I was able to see the Grand Rapids end, but photos are not allowed in a Qwest office without a note from Ma Bell.

1306/1307 are gone for good. I've moved the recordings to 2600 as-is for now. Later, I'll have an introduction from Bob or myself that talks about about the history and the cut.

I'll also put up the sound files sometime soon from 1307 and maybe from the conferences that I recorded.

Thanks to everyone who helped get the word out and to everyone who called and played with it. I'm glad I was able to provide an "Old Skool" playground for those who have never had a chance to play with 2600 signalling.

Our goal is to get this equipment shipped to the Telephone Museum out east and hopefully they will get it back online and working.

I don't normally hang out here, so if you want to get in touch, email me or leave a message for me on 1313.

It was a good system while it lasted.

N2 Wawina MN

1972-2006

RIP

--Shane