RightCoast

Ringtone adults can't hear

75 posts in this topic

The high frequency screech from my 19" monitor is far more annoying.

CRT squealing rocks, doesnt it?

Hmm...apparently this is becoming a "big" issue. I just watched a news report on fox about high school students using the tone to replace their ringtone so they will know that they are recieving phone calls. Aged adults cannot hear the tone, ergo teachers do not know the student is recieving the call.

Fox Report w/ Shepard Smith - 12th June, 2006

Edited by regret

I'm just turned 16, and with the TV blaring, I can still hear it loud and clear, however my father (about 55), even when I told him that it was on, couldn't hear it, but I know that he does have quite a bit of hearing dammage - when I told him that it was around 18k he told me that he 'knows that he can't hear up there.'

-light

I'm 16 and I can hear it perfectly, up close and from far away. It gives me a headache if I listen to it long enough.

I'm 21, I can hear it pretty well from a distance away. Even with the shop people blasting music. I guess all those concerts and car systems I installed didn't kill my hearing skillz. The other guys in my department didn't hear it. Altho they are 40-50's. I also heard about this on Rover's Morning Glory on the way to work today.

Edited by ic0n

i just put it on my cell phone and i can here it perfectly on my cell phone, but not on my computer speakers

That's a really irritating noise. It's like the TV noise olzo references, only it grates on my nerves way more.

Heh, ironically, I saw a spam about this the other day so I clicked it out of curiosity, and that's all it was... a spam. Anyway, that tone hurts my ears, it's high in volume but not loudness... yikes, but my hearing is extremely sensitive and I can hear everything.

it's high in volume but not loudness...

Not to be an ass, but check your definitions. Volume == loudness.

I get what you're saying though,

it's high in volume but not loudness...

Not to be an ass, but check your definitions. Volume == loudness.

I get what you're saying though,

Not necessarily... maybe you need to check your defs. "A large amount. Often used in the plural: volumes of praise. ", "The amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object or region of space, expressed in cubic units.", etc. But anyway, read between the lines, obviously I meant that the sound is full even though it's more of a feeling rather than an audible noise.

Edited by av1d

. "A large amount. Often used in the plural: volumes of praise. ", "The amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object or region of space, expressed in cubic units."

Ok, I see what you meant. I was thinking purely in terms of sound... and being a viscious drunk. I officially withdraw.

I clicked on the link and heard nothing. I thought, "Shit! I shouldn't be listening to my music so loudly, I'm fucking deaf!" Then I noticed that I had to click the play button. :blush:

**BLASTS HEADPHONES** :borg:

I'm 16, and I can hear it very well. My 10-yr-old sister and her friend (about 8 or 9 I think) can hear it the same as I can. My mom can only hear it at almost full blast.

Here's the funny thing. My grandma, who is 73, can hear it just fine. I figured it out when she yelled at me to turn it off because it was giving her a headache.

Pretty weird... :blink:

That's really awesome! thats a really cool idea, it would be great to use during school, church, libraries and at work. of the possibilities are endless :borg:

Im 15, I can hear upwords of 28000.14hz according to a recent professional hearing test.

That drives my little brother crazy and I am also quite annoyed.

;)

mom cant hear it, but my 40 year old dad can...

Hi...

Good threads you have. I'm 23 and i can hear it loud.

This is really cool Ringtone. I wanna try this to my school if my teacher couldn't hear it.

Thank you for sharing and good day.

Sweetche

Advertise on social mediums such as forums, blogs and other types. Build quality links and get instant referral traffic at low price. http://www.widecircles.com

I could barely here it only with the speakers turned all the way up, at normal volume I can't here it at all. (turned 21 in december)

This LINK is my current ring tone, kind of similar, starts really high pitched and then drops. If you a few of you have it on your phones and play it at the same time in a pub or somewhere people look at each other saying "what's that noise?".

EDIT - Rapidshare link instead of an attachment.

Edited by Swerve

Dude my cat ran around shitless for a few seconds when I played this! He went bananas hahaha! :P

That's a pretty cool ringtone. Sounds kind of like a cop siren at the end there... B)

Oh, come on... Surely adults aren't all that bad. Besides, if adulthood seems so crappy what's that saying about your future ;)

This is a very cool subject however. Like ozlo, I can also hear TV's from across rooms and I can also hear this tone. I'll be 29 next month. I wonder if people are born with 'healthier' hearing capabilities or if it is simply taking care of your ears? I'd be skeptical of the later of the two since I have been a drummer since the time I was 12. Anyone who has played drums knows how badly all the cymbals and guitar feedback noises can really make your head spin.

But like I said, this is a very cool subject. I do wish however, that the sound wouldn't be so god awful annoying. It almost gives me a sense of unnerving vertigo or something like that.

im 14, and i can hear it really loud. this is like something some shops now have in england to deter teenagers.