Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
d-frag-r

TV Tuner as a webcam

7 posts in this topic

I got this crazy idea [ and have been googling since I got it ] that maybe it might be possible to route a channel of my choice thru the msn webcam... I'll try to explain, but I'm feelin' a li'l woosy...

alright, I've to msn accounts... one I use, the other is really just a spam hotmail account. what I'm thinking of doing is setting up my spam account so that the webcam feed is the output of my tuner card, and I can message my spam account with commands to change the channel.

I think DScaler would be a good candidate for the tv-tuner-controller-app, but I'm not sure how to get msn to run a controller-bot... and pulling everything together might pose a bit of a challenge.

... call me crazy?

Have you considered other options, such as Orb or Slingbox?

I'm aware of those services, but the idea of hacking something together and allowing for future expansion is more appealing to me... even if the quality turns out to be shit and every 5~8th frame is droped.

I'm an engineering student and thought this might be a 'fun' project.

It certainly sounds fun.

I've actually been thinking about something like this for quite a while, although I was thinking more along the lines of playing files off my computer as a webcam image, maybe for some social engineering :devil:

I've seen quite a few tuts on the net for creating MSN bots, but I'm not sure how many of those will work with the latest version(s) of msn.

It certainly sounds fun.

I've actually been thinking about something like this for quite a while, although I was thinking more along the lines of playing files off my computer as a webcam image, maybe for some social engineering :devil:

so what's the best way to approach this... write maybe special drivers to work in conjection with pre-existing playback software... or work from the ground up?

... how would you use it for SE? [ "yes, this is president bush, look at the cam!" ]

Just set up a shoutcast server and use NSV tools from Nullsoft to set up a shoutcast tv station of whatever you have your tv tuner set to. Then "they" will get a really good quality tv.

Depending on the tuner card, you can also use windows media encoder and create a stream that way, they have quite a few quality options, and work with quite a few video input cards. I have used this for broadcasting live events and it works pretty well, but you are confined to windows media player on pc or mac.