systems_glitch

Mini PCI Card Suggestions

5 posts in this topic

I have a HP Pavilion ze4400 laptop, which didn't come with an internal wireless card. I'm planning on buying a set of antennas for it, or an antenna and a coax connector for externals, along with an internal Mini PCI card. Does anyone have suggestions on good Linux-compatible Mini PCI cards? I've used ndiswrapper with Broadcom cards before, but I want something that's supported by standard kernel drivers and is usable with Kismet.

If the broadcom card is the bcm43xx type then there is suport for it in the 2.6.17-rc2 and above kernels I think (I am useing rc3). I am not sure how well it is suported yet because I am just now building the kernel. Anyway I just thought I would let you know so that you could look at that before you drop money on a new card.

intel ipw2915

a/b/g ... fully supported in linux / kismet =)

Does your laptop actually contain the wires and antennas already in your laptop? If not, I wouldn't suggest buying an mPCI card because it won't work unless yer going to install everything else needed (wires for antenna leads, internal antennas).

Thanks for the suggestions!

The laptop doesn't have wires for antennae, but it also doesn't have a floppy drive. So, I plan on getting a U.FL (aka Mini PCI wireless microconnector thing) to RP-SMA female adapter, which will be mounted through a 1/4 inch hole drilled in the floppy drive blank. Then, I'm going to install a regular laptop-type omni "wire" antenna either around the motherboard, or just in the floppy blank as well. That way, the card should be able to choose from the internal antenna or the external, which will probably have at least one of those 5 dBi rubber coated deals when it doesn't have the old cantenna attached.

I'd stick with my Entrasys OEM cards (Orinoco Gold, basically), but I only have one PCMCIA/CardBus slot in this machine, and I use the other for a USB 2.0 card, FireWire card, or ocassionally my CF and SD converter cards.