Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regret

TV Be-Gone suggestions

4 posts in this topic

because of a donation to WBAI this year (when I actually had money) I recieved a OTH t-shirt and a TV Be-Gone. This little device is very very cool, I can sit in my living room and my noisey neighbor can be blaring him annoying music-choice channel over his tele and I can turn his set off from my couch. It works on every tv I've tried and does it in less than 60 seconds.

Here's my plan, I want to modify this thing to be omni-directional instead of unidirectional and find a way of amplifying the signal. As my spare parts are wearing thin around the house and I've never tried doing anything with a remote signaling device I'm looking for advice on what I need to do.

The hope is to take this thing to a bar during a big sporting event, sit down and freak out everyone by shutting all the TV's off without being as obvious as point this little device at every TV.

hmmm...maybe the IRFLOODPL if i can find a why of amplifying it...

How did I miss this thread until now? I know this was being discussed on Off The Hook by Emmanuel and Bernie S. I even e-mailed Bernie S suggesting that an article be done in 2600 on amplifying an infrared signal. I sent that e-mail after he mentioned that a single transistor can be used to power an IR array.

One type of IR array can actually be found over at www.i-hacked.com. There is an article there on building a MIRT and one example of an IR array is pictured there.

I would say that an openly available schematic for this is long overdue. Unfortunately, I am still too noobish to come up with this myself.