Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jether

Hacker Study

23 posts in this topic

Hello

Iam doing an essay on hacking for school (4000 words :blink: lol) and for part of it I need some primary research. The title of the essay is:

"How has the meaning and the ethics connected to the word ‘hacker’ changed and how has this impacted upon society?"

So I thought, for a good opinion on hacking, I'd ask you guys :P arn't u lucky?

So, if possible, please just take one minuet to fill in this questionnaire and I will post the results on tt-blogs.com once Iam done. I will also post a reply to this when I am done if anyone is interested in the results. I think it will make for an interesting read.

Anyways, the questionnaire is here:

Questionnaire

and I greatly appreciate anyhting you guys fill in.

Thanks

Jether

Edited by Jether

I get a username and password menu, maybe this is some sort of way of weeding out non-hackers... but I'm too tired to try it :P

/admin/

hmmmmmmmmm

Edited by sycorax

I get a username and password menu, maybe this is some sort of way of weeding out non-hackers... but I'm too tired to try it :P

same here

If you look at his link you'll see that it leads directly to the results page. I jumped over to his site and he lists the correct link there.

http://www.tt-blogs.com/phpesp/public/surv...hp?name=hacking

took the survey, was a bit long winded but i think it should be a decent opinion from a newbie.

Kedearian

Long winded? I just did it and IIRC it was click 8 boxes and write a couple lines on the impact of the word hacker in society.

I may not have helped much though. I wasn't trying to be a smartass, but the word has almost zero impact on society. No more than say, "Automobiles are automobiles, what is the impact of calling them cars in society?" That's my thought on the meaning anyway.

As for the ethics, they haven't changed at all. The ethics are in step with society itself. The "hackers" the esr's of the world thump about and try to reclaim the word for are a different generation. Different generation = different ethics. Does the word have a different meaning than in 1976 when about 600 people total didn't associate it with murder? Sure, but so do a few thousand other words. ^_^

Long winded? I just did it and IIRC it was click 8 boxes and write a couple lines on the impact of the word hacker in society.

I may not have helped much though. I wasn't trying to be a smartass, but the word has almost zero impact on society. No more than say, "Automobiles are automobiles, what is the impact of calling them cars in society?" That's my thought on the meaning anyway.

As for the ethics, they haven't changed at all. The ethics are in step with society itself. The "hackers" the esr's of the word thump about and try to reclaim the word for are a different generation. Different generation = different ethics. Does the word have a different meaning than in 1976 when about 600 people total didn't associate it with murder? Sure, but so do a few thousand other words. ^_^

on in the final box i was a bit long winded, probably more than he wanted but i wanted to be specific.

kedearian

Ah, mea culpa, I don't know what I was thinking. After reading what you wrote again, that is obviously what you said. :blush:

I also misspelled world, heh. :(

I thought that maybe certain hackers have ethics, some do not. I'm not sure if there is a certain term to describe a hacker who has no ethics and a seperate term to describe hackers who are curious and have a thirst for knowlege but some of the questions on your survey made me think a little.

I am glad that this has recieved a lot of responces, I thought this would just get pushed to the bottom very quickly, however i've recieved about 100 responces and they keep coming in!

I think that you will find the responces quite intersting when I pubish them soon, but I think it is quite predicatbale at the moment. I actually need a wider audience, because at the moment its just been people that use computers a lot so probably know a bit more about hackers... Oh well, its all good for the essay which I am putting off for as long as possible lol.

You could always post it on digg or something for a wider audiance.

Or you could post it in sensible forums which are not associated with computers in anyway and see how the general public looks towards hackers.

Just saw your study being pimped on Digg.com.

I just saw that you were the one that post it too.

Edited by hrddrv

Thanks for getting your mum to fill it in if you did. As you say i do need a wide audience. However for noooow:

Results are out

I have had 350 responces so I have decided to post the results.

Please continue to fill out the questionnaire here.

Every responce is welcome and any more comments are greatly welcomed too.

Filling it out.

(You're a fed ... aren't you?)

Filling it out.

(You're a fed ... aren't you?)

That's not a nice thing to say to the FBI.

Hello

Iam doing an essay on hacking for school (4000 words :blink: lol) and for part of it I need some primary research. The title of the essay is:

"How has the meaning and the ethics connected to the word ‘hacker’ changed and how has this impacted upon society?"

So I thought, for a good opinion on hacking, I'd ask you guys :P arn't u lucky?

Once upon a time ago, I wrote a college essay entitled, "Breaking the Hacker Stereotypes", it discusses origons of the term and stuff... It is also work-cited. E-mail me if you are interested.

I think your maths went a bit wonky somewhere or is there a reason that the majority of the percentages don't add up to 100!?

What do you understand by the word hacker? = 87.9

As far as you know, has the meaning of the word hacker changed? = 98.5

Would you consider the title ‘hacker’ a compliment? = 97.4

Have you heard of the term ‘cracker’? = 98.8

Have you heard of the term ‘script kiddie’? = 98.8

Do you think there are ethics for hackers? = 98.6

Have you ever been affected by a hacker? = 86.2

Do you think that hackers are a big problem in society? = 83.3

The 90-somethings I can deal with and attribute to rounding error but 83?

Wondered if anyone would see that ;)

lol its because if people ticked the "other" box and left a comment for that question, i didn't inculde it in the summary of results that you can see. The results would be pages and pages long if I did that. If people want the full results with all the comments and everything email or message me and Ill send you the whole thing.

Wikipedia is a rather good way to get info these days... not like books, I mean...

Excellent data integrity, but the search function sucks. B)