Havoc

.Tel domain approved

5 posts in this topic

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060515/uksu003...?.v=9&printer=1

The .Tel domain will enable people to reach a business from any Internet enabled device (computer or mobile) simply by typing, for example, "Hertz.tel". The user will then be able to connect directly to a Hertz representative or navigate through a list of services that Hertz may offer. Businesses can easily extend their brands into this new space and enhance the way customer inquiries are handled.

In addition, individuals can use the .Tel domain to publish and update their contact information directly in the DNS. These individuals will decide, in real time, by what means their friends and colleagues will be able to reach them. This could include: VoIP, conventional telephony (fixed-line or wireless), email, SMS, Skype, AIM and many more.

Telnic will release free applications to allow .tel domains to be integrated with the commonly used address books found in computer systems and mobile phones. This innovation will offer a unique experience distinct from any other top level domain.

First mobi then this? Oh well, seems like it will just be another novelty. nor.tel anyone?

mo.tel?

car.tel?

Well seriously, I mean, why can't I go to a companys .com and get a phone number there? The article almost made it seem like I could go to blakeops.tel, and it would tell me if you were on AIM, skype, cell, whatever. Does this mean you would constantly have to update your status to allow everyone and anyone to know exactly how they can reach you (and draw conclusions on where you are based on that info?) Is anyone considering this a problem with the most recent expose of NSA data mining?

On a side note, I want subdomain nougat.car.tel from you blakeops.

Does this mean you would constantly have to update your status to allow everyone and anyone to know exactly how they can reach you (and draw conclusions on where you are based on that info?)

I'm sure you can make a script that checks the status of your AIM etc.