Alkali Jack

Ethernet over home phone wires

8 posts in this topic

I'd like to install a wired connection between two computers in different parts of my home. I heard that Ethernet only uses four of the eight wires that are in a normal Cat-5 cable, so would it be possible to make some special adaptor cables and run the connection through the currently unused phone wires already in the walls of my house? The idea is to avoid buying and dealing with some other cable.

look up hpna/home phone network aliance

and 2wire1000sw i think

In theroy it would work, however not over great distances as telephone cables are not twisted to protect signal integrity.

Here's two links you might find handy:

Ethernet cable pin-out

How to wire ethernet cables

Edited by chown

Home phonelines are CAT3 whereas Ethernet cables are made from CAT5/5e/6. CAT3 lines are not rated to handle the megahertz CAT5+ cables can but it CAN work but only at 10BASET speeds. For it to really work, you're going to have to righ up all your phone jacks to work....or you can buy an HPNA kit and use it.

it would work for a shitty signals, based on 2 things. 1 all the wires are 2 pair(4 wires) and 2. you dont branch it off in a normal setup like most phone systems are. but be advised, your signal is going to be shit you will drop a lot of packets, get a shitload of noise and it will be a HUGE headache in the end. if your looking at phone wire vs cat5 due to cost, just shell out the few extra bucks for cat5. if its for other reasons, like not wanting to run cat5 in the walls, then just do it with wireless. you can buy a cheap wireless router for like 50 bucks.

Take a phone jack off the wall and find out if you have twisted pair cables or not. Our house was wired relatively recently (1997) and all of the lines to individual rooms are twisted pair, two pair lines (blue/blue-white and orange/orange-white). The main line from the gray service box is regular 4 pair Cat5. Our lines come to a single junction box where they had to be manually spliced together; each room had its own line to the jack(s) in that room.

If you have the green/red and black/yellow lines, you're better off reworking it or using wireless, as mentioned.

Not sure if it will help, but you can run Ethernet through power lines in your house.

Newegg.com and search “powerline” </off-topic>

Edited by Divo

Forgive me for being totally obvious here but why not use WIFI? It's not just for laptops. Wireless PCI cards can be bought for cheap.