XxthugstylezxX

Newb HamRadio

12 posts in this topic

So i went to radio shack to see their ham radio selection which was slim to none. They had 2 analog and 1 digital. The digital one was some where around $500. So my first question is two part A.) Which to go with analog or digital and B.) Where can i find cheaper ones? Ebay?

Second question.. I was asked what i would want to do with it if i got it and the guy said the obvious "listen to police frequencys" but he also stated that differnt citys have differnt codes. I thought all police frequencys would be the same. Is this true and where would i find the codes to my city as he stated its not illegal.

Third and finally.. What are some fun cool things once i get my first ham radio, do i really need a operating license?

do i really need a operating license?

YES YES FUCKING YES.

we have a idiot in this area who has no licence and a radio, he enjoys broadcasting music on the local repeaters and being a jackass. Its only a matter of time before he is caught, and when, not if, when he is caught, the fines are rather large for broadcasting without a licence.

also, you mentioned police radio, are you looking for a ham radio, or a scanner?

So i went to radio shack to see their ham radio selection which was slim to none. They had 2 analog and 1 digital. The digital one was some where around $500. So my first question is two part A.) Which to go with analog or digital and B.) Where can i find cheaper ones? Ebay?

Second question.. I was asked what i would want to do with it if i got it and the guy said the obvious "listen to police frequencys" but he also stated that differnt citys have differnt codes. I thought all police frequencys would be the same. Is this true and where would i find the codes to my city as he stated its not illegal.

Third and finally.. What are some fun cool things once i get my first ham radio, do i really need a operating license?

So here we have someone who obviously has no idea of the difference between a police scanner (receiver), and a ham rig. Perhaps you might want to take some time from getting your post count past 532 (mostly in the "off-topic" section I see) and read some of the messages on this forum. There is quite a bit of useful information there. You may also want to check out. http://iirglabs.livejournal.com/35445.html , http://www.digivill.net/~ticom/ticomzine/ , and of course http://www.gbppr.org/

BTW, Radio Shack no longer sells amateur radio gear.

So here we have someone who obviously has no idea of the difference between a police scanner (receiver), and a ham rig. Perhaps you might want to take some time from getting your post count past 532 (mostly in the "off-topic" section I see) and read some of the messages on this forum. There is quite a bit of useful information there. You may also want to check out. http://iirglabs.livejournal.com/35445.html , http://www.digivill.net/~ticom/ticomzine/ , and of course http://www.gbppr.org/

Perhaps it would help if you answered my question with out being an asshole? I believe i do more leeching than posting as i've been a member here way way long then you =p. Thanks for the info "OBVIOUSLY" i dont know the difference thats why i asked the F*ing question =) :wub::wub: Again thanks and refer to this post next time you want to be a smart ass.

do i really need a operating license?

YES YES FUCKING YES.

we have a idiot in this area who has no licence and a radio, he enjoys broadcasting music on the local repeaters and being a jackass. Its only a matter of time before he is caught, and when, not if, when he is caught, the fines are rather large for broadcasting without a licence.

also, you mentioned police radio, are you looking for a ham radio, or a scanner?

Hey, if you want, we can go DF (direction find) him. Its really alot of fun when you show up at peoples' houses and tell them to knock it off!

That sucks. My HTX-202 is still ticking away. A very solid, albeit no-frills, unit.

That sucks. My HTX-202 is still ticking away. A very solid, albeit no-frills, unit.

My HTX-202 ran as an APRS unit for about two years until I took the station down. Of course you wouldn't expect any less from what was from an internal standpoint an Icom radio.

And I love it when I call someone to task for not reading the board before asking a prevously answered question, and they get all testy!

Just to let Ticom know, posts in Off Topic to not count towards the post count.

Ergo, owned.

In a attempt to answer some of the questions from his first post, its not that the police are going to encrypted transmissions, they are going to a trunking system, so you would need a trunking scanner. They are quite a bit more expensive then others, but its the only way to listen into trunking systems. if your local cops are not using trunking, i sugest the PRO-79(provided they still sell it) ive had mine for 6 years, and it still works great.

Thank you thats all i asked was for help not to get flamed. As for the other remarks if you'd notice i included a few questions, and its pretty obvious i have no idea when it comes to ham radio there for i wouldnt know what i was searching for. You didnt call me out and i didnt get testy, you'd know if i was getting testy. Just next time dont be a cock about things, make people feel welcome dont flame them for asking questions as this is what hackings all about. Haveing a ego and/or reputation as an elitist does not get your fame or respect keep that in mind. For instance if i was totally new to the scene and this was my first post and you said that shit i wouldnt ever come back to these forums. I'm just putting that out there for you to think about. But again thanks for the help now i have some insight.

Also as that answered the question about the scanners and ham rig, where can i get ether or? As you stated earlier that radioshack no longer sells ham.

I use Ham Radio Outlet most of the time. - http://www.hamradio.com/ Their service has been nothing less than excellent. I have also used Amateur Electronic Supply (AES). - http://www.aesham.com/ That's a good one to visit if you happen to be in Vegas during DefCon or whenever. The Detriot area must also have a local ham/electronic place which would be the best place to go, so you can play with the radios before spending the money. I noticed one place called "Gambler's CB & Ham Radio Sales & Service" in Pinconning, Michigan got hit with a fine by the FCC for selling illegal CB gear. That might be an interesting store to check out if they're still around.