Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Professor Bagelwood

Stumped by Le Computer

8 posts in this topic

Meh, posting in the Nubie HQ since I need help, but anyway...

This one's got me stumped, I'm embarassed to confess.

The problem is that after a little while, my computer's connection to the internet seems to just die. It seems that the amount of working time dwindles as demand increases. For example, I have yet to make it through a download of the tryout for Adobe Illustrator CS2, and the same goes for getting new Linux distros off the torrent network. Perhaps the idea of some kind of download limit is just my imagination trying to come up with some kind of answer, but anyway, after this "limit" is "breached," I can't even connect to the router. However, restarting the computer always fixes the problem. The interesting thing though is that the other computer on the network, which unlike mine is connected wirelessly, has yet to be affected. Now, I built this computer myself, but that was a while ago and this problem is new.

Being a programmer, graphic designer, web developer, and security/privacy analyst all rolled into one happy package, I would normally consider myself more than capable of solving this problem (what an ego, right?), especially since my need to stay connected to the internet is so high.

I've gone through and turned one program at a time off to see if any of them would be the culprit, but nope, no luck. I've tried reformatting and reinstalling windows twice, once with the "normal" CD and once with an nLited copy to try to cut out as many unnecessary things as possible that just might've been doing something. I've tried resetting the router, but nope. Virus or malware maybe? Nope, at least not according to ClamWinAV, HijackThis, or SpySweeper. I've run registry cleaners and fixxers too, like the "Find Issues" part of CCleaner and TweakNow Registry Cleaner.

All that said and done, I'm just plain stumped. Any ideas?

Oh, and here's the HijackThis log, and below is the hardware list, just in case either help.

1. Router: Belkin Pre-N Wireless (wired connection for relevant computer).

2. Modem: Motorola Surfboard (standard from Earthlink).

3. CPU: AMD Opteron 170 Dual 2.0 GHz, 2x1MB L2 Cache, Socket 939

4. Mobo: Asus A8R-MVP.

5. VGA: Sapphire's ATI Radeon X1600 Pro w/ 512MB

6. PSU: Enermax ELT500AWT 500W

7. Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) GSkill F1-3200

8. CPU Fan: Zalman CNPS 9500 LED

9. CD/DVD: BenQ DVD Burner DW1650

10. Floppy: Mitsumi 1.44 MB 3.5"

11. Soundcard: Creative X-FI Platinum

Who is your isp? I know for a fact that sattelite ISP's in the states limits to like 100mb every 3 hours or something gay like that.

hmm could be the wireless router might be getting jammed, is the router connected to the modem directly(ethernet) or usb. but since your using a wired connection it could be that the wireless router been getting messed with from outside your network.

Edited by kitche

Does doing an ipconfig /renew have any effect?

I think I nailed it, but then... well, here we go.

I had forgotten to reset the number of accepted connections from 10 to something healthy and reasonable (I like 80). That seems to have done it, but then, shouldn't it have only been a slower connection instead of a dead one? Interesting.

Since it isn't solved yet for sure (give it a day to be sure), I'll bother to answer the questions, heh.

No, it's not a satellite connection. I live around San Diego afterall, and I use Earthlink, which runs on the RoadRunner cable system around here (and yet is faster and cheaper than RoadRunner even advertises, hmm).

I doubt that it'd be somebody on the outside fooling around for a few reasons. First, I live on Coronado island, which is populated by three groups: the Naval Ampibious Base, North Island Airbase, and rich elderly people (well, at least 99% of the people fall into one of those groups). There aren't any war drivers, which is easy to tell because there aren't really any normal dirvers either. That, and perhaps I'm arrogant, but as far as the wireless network goes, I think I've got it locked down pretty tight. :lol:

The router is connected to the modem via standard CAT5 (ethernet).

The ipconfig /renew only queries the DHCP, and since I have DHCP tickets set to permanet, it just gets the same ticket and everything.

But yet, hopefully the problem is dead.

Just a few other things to try if you havn't solved the problem. First, my router dies when it gets warm so I have to watch that. and also have you tried connecting you computer to the modem sans router to see if it still gives you problems. that would at least pin point the issue to the router.

Just a few other things to try if you havn't solved the problem. First, my router dies when it gets warm so I have to watch that. and also have you tried connecting you computer to the modem sans router to see if it still gives you problems. that would at least pin point the issue to the router.

I do believe I got it yesterday, but thanks. That's interesting that your router overheats. I mean, I've never heard of that before in a router. As this thread's last breath, what kind do you have?

Check your power management settings in device manager for you device...being windows, it may be shutting off your interface to save power...there should be a tab for power management in your card's properites and make sure that check box isn't checked.