jada64

Laptop?

19 posts in this topic

Okay, i am looking for a laptop and i have $500 to spend, any help?

Yeah you can probably get an IBM thinkpad on ebay for less than 500. from what i hear they are pretty nice.

Yeah you can probably get an IBM thinkpad on ebay for less than 500. from what i hear they are pretty nice.

I dont think i wanna use ebay, unless i have too though. Anything else? And i only can spend a grand total of $500.

I agree about Thinkpads. The old ones definitely hold up. I have a 500 MHz Thinkpad 600X that still works great running Slackware 10.2.

eBay would be your best option on used -- if you're last-resort against it, check out TigerDirect's deals -- they have several under $500

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Ca...7&CMP=ILC-FPM01

Depending on the laptop things like batteries, battery chargers, extra cables, etc will nickel and dime you if you try to buy just a laptop and not kit, this can be a problem with ebay.

Well i found one, its a dell(yeah i know) but it is nice(for a dell) But it is more than what i have, total price of $554.38 and i only have $500, no more no less, damn! and the offer expires on the eleventh of this month.

Yeah I would definitely check on ebay, I imagine that you could get a cheap deal on some older laptops on ebay. But I suppose that it depends on what you plan on doing with it in the end.

I am gonna talk to my dad and see if he will pay the tax/shipping that i cant pay, IDK though because he is giving me the $500.

Some people I know have had horrible experiences with Dells. Personally, I've had astonishing luck with Dell laptops (I own three, plus one desktop). The harddrive on my oldest one (circa 1997?) just took a crap, but that's pretty good for a laptop on the verge of a decade old.

If you configure your system online, I suggest you stop before the checkout phase and give their sales reps a call. They can sometimes work your configuration a little better than you can on the website to get your price a little lower. Also, you can Google for "dell coupon" or "dell inspiron coupon codes" or something to that effect and find a ton of discount coupon codes you can use when finalizing your order. They're usually only available for the more expensive units, but it's worth a search. I got a $500 off coupon on my latest laptop I bought several months ago.

Do you have craigslist in your area? They often have lappies for < $500.

Craigslist rules, but keep your eye on a local freecycle group too. You never know, you may get lucky. I got an old Armada that way once. http://www.freecycle.org/

Some people I know have had horrible experiences with Dells. Personally, I've had astonishing luck with Dell laptops (I own three, plus one desktop). The harddrive on my oldest one (circa 1997?) just took a crap, but that's pretty good for a laptop on the verge of a decade old.

If you configure your system online, I suggest you stop before the checkout phase and give their sales reps a call. They can sometimes work your configuration a little better than you can on the website to get your price a little lower. Also, you can Google for "dell coupon" or "dell inspiron coupon codes" or something to that effect and find a ton of discount coupon codes you can use when finalizing your order. They're usually only available for the more expensive units, but it's worth a search. I got a $500 off coupon on my latest laptop I bought several months ago.

So your saying if just called them up and said hey i got $500, only, I want this, what can we do so i can get it, they can change things that i cant change on their site (no OS installed or shipped)

Edited by jada64

Well, I'd go with the thinkpad option. I've had quite a few laptops in my day, and I've had problems with Dell's, HP's, and Compaq's.... Check out thinkpads and also look to see if you can find some eMachines... eMachines always ran well for me and so did thinkpads. =\

Well, I'd go with the thinkpad option. I've had quite a few laptops in my day, and I've had problems with Dell's, HP's, and Compaq's.... Check out thinkpads and also look to see if you can find some eMachines... eMachines always ran well for me and so did thinkpads. =\

Well if i can get at least a 1.4 that will run vista for under $500 new, then i would.

I bought a acer for $650 about a year ago. The broadcom wifi sux and the dialup modem does work, because it is a winmodem. All the other devices work. I have ran Slackware 10.2 , Debian testing, and arch linux on it.

You can get a pretty cheap iBook if you google it. Hell...you can find anything cheap if you google it. Just search "cheap -whatever ur lookin for- laptop"