Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falk0n

ubuntu fun

9 posts in this topic

whats up, i just installed ubuntu on my computer because ive always wanted linux (i dont know why i just always had the urge to get it) and i was wondering what kind of stuff i should learn and stuff i can do to enjoy linux and have fun or make the most of it. I dont know if anyone would be able to understand this question it sounds right in my head.

whats up, i just installed ubuntu on my computer because ive always wanted linux (i dont know why i just always had the urge to get it) and i was wondering what kind of stuff i should learn and stuff i can do to enjoy linux and have fun or make the most of it. I dont know if anyone would be able to understand this question it sounds right in my head.

Google is your friend...;-)

If your just beginning to use linux I would first visit the Ubuntu forums and read up on how to make your linux machine as desktop-like as youd like so that youd use it as your primary machine. Ubuntu is good for this. Then Id read up on *nix commands and how debian GNU/linux 'works' and start exploring form there..... :)

If you want to get a bunch of programs and other things that are usefull on your ubuntu box with little to no effort I suggest you check out Automatix. It's an easy to use GUI that has a list of usefull software for ubuntu, just select what you want and click the button and it will download and install it.

Also check out Easy Ubuntu

I just gave easyubuntu and it seems rather similar to Automatix. Still a nice thing to have for people getting started out on linux. I think there was only one or two things I wanted on there and didn't have.

Check this out:

Housekeeping in Ubuntu

A fresh install of ubuntu does NOT come with gcc, g++ and other build and programming tools. If you go through this guy's essential housekeeping, you will install the "build-essentials" which are necessary to do any 1337 h4x0ring on your b0xen...

Ubuntu doesn not come with a SSH daemon by default and I dont think that site explains how to get SSH up, which is also useful if you need to access your box from a remote location (school, work...)

Just:

apt-get install openssh-server

in the terminal!

Ubuntu :wub:

Edited by nak