Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
desturbed

Router Hacking?

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, just recently a friend told me about a method of hacking a router. Well basically, you get their router IP, and most people dont change their router password, they just leave it at default. How would I connect to their router if i know their password? Anyway, thx alot :)

-Peace Out

:help: ^_^

That depends on the device and what kind of access it allows (and if it's been left at its default availability). You could try common ports like 22 for ssh, 23 for telnet (some devices still get manufactured with this), 80 or 443 for some kind of web-based GUI. Most devices will let you modify the port that this functionality is available on though and usually you can do things like disallow external (internet) access or restrict it to a certain IP range.

A google search for the term "default passwords" will give you a lot of information on default passwords and the methods used to access the devices.

Yeah usually you just open it in a web browser. google for "default password list" and it will show you a long list of router default passwords. And this isnt really hacking..

yer, i know this isn't hacking, sorry for posting it in the like general hacking section, pls move it to nubie section :P

well, he needs to start somewhere in the learning. Default passwords remind me of a game my friends were having, on a road trip we were seeing who who could change the most essids of wireless aps with defaults and no protection (and some with). Then on the way back from our destination we had a machine check to see which id could be picked up more.. I recomend that you don't play this game.

well, he needs to start somewhere in the learning. Default passwords remind me of a game my friends were having, on a road trip we were seeing who who could change the most  essids of wireless aps with defaults and no protection (and some with). Then on the way back from our destination we had a machine  check to see which id could be picked up more.. I recomend that you don't play this game.

How did that work? Were you driving wicked slowly? I mean wouldn't you drive out of range too quickly to change anything? This game intrigues me so I'm trying to find details so I can play.

well, he needs to start somewhere in the learning. Default passwords remind me of a game my friends were having, on a road trip we were seeing who who could change the most  essids of wireless aps with defaults and no protection (and some with). Then on the way back from our destination we had a machine  check to see which id could be picked up more.. I recomend that you don't play this game.

Hah that sounds like fun. Ill have to play that on my next long ass trip somewhere...

yer, i know this isn't hacking, sorry for posting it in the like general hacking section, pls move it to nubie section :P

its all good, i was just, meh i dont know, i was in a shitty mood earlier...

This is probably a little further along the road, but if you're on a decently sized network (not a home network) that uses a Cisco router, here is a nice little list of vulnerabilities for Cisco routers that you can toy around with and see if the network admins are up to speed with their updates.

The only way you could hack a router is if you were in range of it correct? Unless your neighbor has a router then you've got a small problem eh?

The only way you could hack a router is if you were in range of it correct? Unless your neighbor has a router then you've got a small problem eh?

Not necessarily. Linksys WRT54Gs have an option for remote administration.