Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matt

Good movie editor?

7 posts in this topic

I know, theres google. Google is from a neutral standpoint though, it doesnt have an opinion on whats the best.

I want a very professional movie editor. One where I can blur out faces or whatever if I need to, things like that. Fades, all that. This is for Win XP of course.

Preferably freeware, but if not I can spare a buck or several.

Preferably one that supports multiple filetypes/codecs, but if not I have a freeware converter.

Anyone know of one?

freeware movie editor? Good luck. All the ones I see are for linux .. I guess they could be compiled for Windows .. but it would not be too fun.

For starters, get the Adobe Premiere Trial. I love that program. Don't have the full version, though. :(

Otherwise, get Avid Free DV (http://www.avid.com/freedv/). Be prepared full a rather steep learning curve, if you're not already familiar with it, or have some sort of formal training. I used an Avid system for over a year when I was doing TV news, and it's fully capable. Not sure about how many features the free version has, but I believe it will cover all your bases quite nicely.

I have Sony Vegas on my Windows box and it’s really nice other then that I’ve played around with Adobe Premier and it’s nice how it works with Adobe Audition and Adobe After Effects, but all of the above software costs money, and there is not any free alternative that comes any where near them in the Windows world.

If your on a Linux box then Cinelerra is very good.

Edited by m3747r0n

Jahshaka is by far the best FOSS editor I've dealt with in Linux or Windows. It most likely could do the blurs/fades you want. That said, it has huge stability issues in Windows; and its quite tough to get it running in Linux properly.

I've tried Cinelerra/Jahshaka/Diva and all the FOSS editors out there. They still don't hold a match (with the exception of Jahshaka, if only it got stable) to Adobe Premiere. Plus, Premiere has alot of audio/visual filters that these products don't have yet.

I think if you want effects-oriented editing, you should go with a trial of Adobe AfterEffects (in conjunction with Premiere). If you want sort of just a general editing suite with features, go with Adobe Premiere. I don't know much about Avid Free, but that sounds like its worth a shot.

Edited by Seal

i have the full adobe premiere, it's not that hard to get, and is very complex.