thegrayhat

School Internet Bans

37 posts in this topic

I know there's a lot of ways to hack a school internet ban such as a highschool one. But the filter has a lot of ways to block us out too. Anyone mind listing all of their ways? I know using a proxy is one. But it blocks out everything with the word 'proxy' in it, so I can't get to a webpage with one on it. I tried a suggestion from some poster, don't know who.. Said type after any url '.nyud.net:8080/' Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Any other suggestions?

I know there's a lot of ways to hack a school internet ban such as a highschool one. But the filter has a lot of ways to block us out too. Anyone mind listing all of their ways? I know using a proxy is one. But it blocks out everything with the word 'proxy' in it, so I can't get to a webpage with one on it. I tried a suggestion from some poster, don't know who.. Said type after any url '.nyud.net:8080/' Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Any other suggestions?

At my highschool they have a deadly filtering system set up. The server is the main way that they block you or thats how they block us. All they have a information system that runs in the background and monitors youre site that you visit and how many times that you visit it. My suggestion is that if you find a proxy server that work dont tell any one. Also i rcently bought a 1gb flashdrive. I have a anonomys proxy program that im allowed to run from it. That helps me the most. Also if you can get youre hands on a hardware keylogger for a cheap price install it in the computer, and get tech guy or admin pass. That how i do most stuff, ive got admin. Try cain or john the ripper.

Oh, I Google "Free Public Proxies" on Google and go from there. What's that? The school blocks that too? Then go to Google Linux and do the same search. For some reason it won't block most anything there for some crazy idea.

At my highschool they have a deadly filtering system set up. The server is the main way that they block you or thats how they block us. All they have a information system that runs in the background and monitors youre site that you visit and how many times that you visit it. My suggestion is that if you find a proxy server that work dont tell any one. Also i rcently bought a 1gb flashdrive. I have a anonomys proxy program that im allowed to run from it. That helps me the most. Also if you can get youre hands on a hardware keylogger for a cheap price install it in the computer, and get tech guy or admin pass. That how i do most stuff, ive got admin. Try cain or john the ripper.

You wouldn't mind giving out the name of the little anonymous proxy server program that you have on you flash drive?

Try going into the internet, or what ever browser, settings and see if the proxy value is in there. Last year, before the new guys worked for my district (and before I had a job with my school district tech department), me and my friends knew of a backup proxy (because the school would have the filter sit on a proxy we would have to use to get out) with no filter that we would switch between all the time. I'm sure you can get to your internet options. good luck.

I hear it alot that people install programs on their flash drives but... I don't understand how that is done. If you install it on the flah drive, the reg values and all that jazz are still on the computer you used to install it, right? Or do you mean that it doesn't ned to be installed? OR that you just have the set-up program on there?

Just in the interest of playing devil's advocate, have you considered actually paying attention during class and waiting till you get home to cruise myspace?

I hear it alot that people install programs on their flash drives but... I don't understand how that is done. If you install it on the flah drive, the reg values and all that jazz are still on the computer you used to install it, right? Or do you mean that it doesn't ned to be installed? OR that you just have the set-up program on there?

i personaly think you don't install something, you just move files and values around. I do not like the word install, because some people think you have to install software when you can just run the binaries. You need to understand binaries, modules and values.

these are the three things i did to bypass a networks firewall

1.) proxy (already been said)

2.) remote desktop (RDP, VNC, FreeNX, other)

3.) google's cached (this is great for looking up blocked proxy server list, schools won`t block google for the most part)

and my school blocks the words linux, open source, and GNU" :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

Edited by lowlevelup

You wouldn't mind giving out the name of the little anonymous proxy server program that you have on you flash drive?

Try TorPark

When I was in the military they blocked out everything known to man. So I setup a squid web proxy on my home machine at port 8080, and used an ssh tunnel to encrypt all traffic to it. Works like a charm. Google ssh tunneling. To an admin, an encrypted connection to port 8080 would also look like you were using https.

Edited by Logik

Just in the interest of playing devil's advocate, have you considered actually paying attention during class and waiting till you get home to cruise myspace?

I agree and I'll go a bit further to say you should get ahead in math if you want to do anything in CS/CE/EE/etc..

Port 443 will look like a https connection. Port 8080 will look like you are connecting to a proxy server or a server trying to hide the fact that it is insecure by using another port.

Are you sure that the school network is even connected to the internet?

I agree with BlakeOps pay attention in Math class and I agree with devils advocate Strom that you should hold off on the myspace fix. If you cannot wait that long, try some old school social networking, mutter under you breath to the person next to you.

Edited by 2geeky

it was a while ago now but we found a simple way to beat the filter at the time was to just take off the www. at the beginning the admin started getting sloppy so we satarted using googles cache of sites.

I agree and I'll go a bit further to say you should get ahead in math if you want to do anything in CS/CE/EE/etc..

I'm not doing this during class, nor am I trying to access myspace. It is during library, the filtration system is rediculous. Ps, math is my best subject, 98 average. =P

I once ran a nice fast CGIProxy for exclusive use by students at my school. It was accessible only from my school's IP address.

The bandwidth graphs were interesting. The school day was clearly visible, as were the class changes and lunchtimes. Bandwidth usage peaked around 7MBit.

I told the proxy address to a few people back in September or October; no more than five people. By February, it had spread to much of the school.

The funny thing is that someone posted the link to the proxy on some random blog on Google, which was useless to anyone not behind the school's firewall.

Eventually, they caught on. After blocking two of my IP addresses, I gave up. I'm not sure if they found out because the URL was reported, or they saw a large amount of their traffic going to that IP address and blocked it accordingly.

Logs showed that most people went to MySpace. I considered blocking the crappy site and bringing the proxy back, but decided against it; I only had three IP addresses left on the server and didn't feel like buying more

http://cecid.sf.net

Put it on your webserver, edit the template to take out everything but the form, and then use it.

It is not only a proxy, but it removes words used in most filters, and you can customize the list to suit your needs. I've used it with great secess. I recomment going into the admin panel and disable the ping feature, or you'll have alot of people using it to look at pron.

All this proxy talk is funny. In the building I watch over, the filter blocka all cgi proxies, but no php proxies. The funny part is the children who think they know stuff, know what proxies are but don't know the diffrence between the two and why one works and why one doesn't.

If you're interested in learning more about different methods of bypassing internet censorship tools then I would reccomend http://www.zensur.freerk.com/

It's got a decent amount of coverage on different methods and how to implement them, and if you have a problem that involves widely distributed software then odds are it's on there. On the other hand, if ou're dealing with admins who actually know what they're doing and have hand coded the tool using their own perl scripts, then this won't help you.

Oh, and this is just my personal opinion, but if this is only going to be used to log on to myspace during class, please go stick your fingers in a cpu fan or try licking an unshielded power supply, because the people who actually use the internet for important things will thank you.

If you're interested in learning more about different methods of bypassing internet censorship tools then I would reccomend http://www.zensur.freerk.com/

It's got a decent amount of coverage on different methods and how to implement them, and if you have a problem that involves widely distributed software then odds are it's on there.  On the other hand, if ou're dealing with admins who actually know what they're doing and have hand coded the tool using their own perl scripts, then this won't help you.

Oh, and this is just my personal opinion, but if this is only going to be used to log on to myspace during class, please go stick your fingers in a cpu fan or try licking an unshielded power supply, because the people who actually use the internet for important things will thank you.

Good link there. And yeah, for the second time, IM NOT GOING ON MYSPACE! MYSPACE IS REDICULOUS!

Be careful for what you do at school. I am banned from all computers for making a proxy. :cuss: :blowfuse:

Why does everyone have such a thing against myspace? Myspace is awesome.

Why does everyone have such a thing against myspace? Myspace is awesome.

I dont think people hate myspace directly, they just dont like most of the people that use myspace. I use myspace for music, art, and social networking. But if your getting on myspace at school, then you need to get a hold of your self.

Yeah, the only way to break the filter at my school is by using a local cache.

Add the extension .nyud.net:8080 to any website.

So it would look like...

Sepheus.co.uk.nyud.net:8080/

Yeah, the only way to break the filter at my school is by using a local cache.

Add the extension .nyud.net:8080 to any website.

So it would look like...

Sepheus.co.uk.nyud.net:8080/

thats pretty nice. do you know what software is running at .nyud.net:8080 and the config set in our to do that??

-lowlevelup

Don't know at all. Just saw it posted on another thread and checked it out. A bit slower, but works like a charm.