Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cr4X

Hardware

32 posts in this topic

Most of the time, no. However, it depends on "how broken" it is. A missing component could cause a higher voltage running through your main board and possibly fry some components.

Any card or piece of equipment has the aboility to seriously damage other components in your system. The card could have any number of faults that could damage your system. Visual inspection will go a long way to avoiding splodin things. Look for obviuos signs of charred components, swollen capacitors, glass bead diodes that are cracked, discoloration of the printed circuit board... Look for scratches on the board that can sometime bridge two closely laid out traces. You can also check the PCI pinout for some obvious short circuits if you have a multimeter. It's also a good idea to wear an antistatic strap when plugin in cards - I've never ever had a problem with static, but everyone seems to think its a big deal. If I'm trying something that I'm not sure will work I always keep my nose close to the board and listen for weird sounds. With some types of switching power supplies a short circuit will cause the power supply to sort of chirp repeatedly. Unplug it immediately. Also install the shit with the power off.

If any of that didn't make sense I can explain it a little better, let me know...

Sure i wouldn't install a hardware componet without plugging off the power :P

But I don't know what a "multimeter" is...

Anyway, I just got the indispenceable PC Hardware book from the library, so I'll try digging something up there.

a multimeter is a device you use to measure votage, amperage, its also known as a voltmeter........

Thanks for the help.

I actually think I got that 'multimeter' somewhere.

3: Anyone know how i should clean and maintain my hardware, to assure I don't get any problems with warmth and so on(dust is a terrible thing). A tutorial would be nice.

643923_sk_md.jpg

And buy everything from NewEgg. Great price + amazing shipping = win.