Followers 0
dertAE dAEdin

Distros

8 posts in this topic

here is a good place to start:

distrowatch

You can also download ISOs here:

Linux ISOs

Check out Ubuntu or Kubuntu. If you have a CDRW handy, I recomend you download the LiveCD versions of various distros, burn them to CD and check them out. Then, you can boot from the CD and the whole thing will run off of the CD without touching your HD. That way you can try out and see what you like before making the commitment of installing anything.

For someone new to linux I would recommend either Ubuntu (or the KDE version, Kubuntu) or SUSE (the open suse version is free)

Have alot of fun....

I have heard some good things about PCLinuxOS. Unlike most of the (current) free distros, the PCLinuxOS makers do not care if Richard Stallman would want to use it, so everything (ATI/Nvidia drivers, Java, Flash, DVD, WMV/AVI/MOV/RM) should work right from the get-go. The distro is based on Mandriva, so it includes the DrackX (I think that is the name) repartitioner, which is an elegant repartitioner that is (IMO) easier to use than KParted.

EDIT: Fixed the URL.

Edited by Elzair

distrowatch

Linux ISOs

Check out Ubuntu or Kubuntu.  If you have a CDRW handy, I recomend you download the LiveCD versions of various distros, burn them to CD and check them out.  Then, you can boot from the CD and the whole thing will run off of the CD without touching your HD.  That way you can try out and see what you like before making the commitment of installing anything. 

For someone new to linux I would recommend either Ubuntu (or the KDE version, Kubuntu) or SUSE (the open suse version is free)

Have alot of fun....

I definitely agree. People rag on Ubuntu quite a bit, but it's only because it's become so popular. Really, it's a great place to start with Linux and learn the ins and outs gradually, as opposed to the "forced-to-learn-by-way-of-nothing-working-at-first" method that many of us were accustomed to in the past. It's a nice Debian-based distro, uses one of the best package management systems (apt), works for most people right out-of-the-box, has awesome community support through forums and the wiki, and can be trimmed down as much as you want. It's a great choice for newbies who want to ease into Linux but not have to try out a Linux-trying-to-look-and-feel-like-Windows distro. It's also a great choice for more experienced Linux users who don't have a lot of time to tinker with their OS every waking moment.

My personal favorite would have to be Gentoo, but my life and the time I have available really makes Gentoo difficult to use as my main distro. My only gripe with Ubuntu is its decision to make you sudo every root command. It's a nice security measure for those not accustomed to such things, but I wish I had the choice during install, rather than having to do a little tinkering after the fact. Anyway, give Ubuntu a try. Chances are that it'll run fine on your system, and get you up and running with Linux in short order.

Distrowatch is also my favorite distro-monitoring site. Some of the others aren't quite as up-to-date.

distrowatch

Linux ISOs

Check out Ubuntu or Kubuntu.  If you have a CDRW handy, I recomend you download the LiveCD versions of various distros, burn them to CD and check them out.  Then, you can boot from the CD and the whole thing will run off of the CD without touching your HD.  That way you can try out and see what you like before making the commitment of installing anything. 

Have alot of fun....

I definitely agree. People rag on Ubuntu quite a bit, but it's only because it's become so popular. Really, it's a great place to start with Linux and learn the ins and outs gradually, as opposed to the "forced-to-learn-by-way-of-nothing-working-at-first" method that many of us were accustomed to in the past. It's a nice Debian-based distro, uses one of the best package management systems (apt), works for most people right out-of-the-box, has awesome community support through forums and the wiki, and can be trimmed down as much as you want. It's a great choice for newbies who want to ease into Linux but not have to try out a Linux-trying-to-look-and-feel-like-Windows distro. It's also a great choice for more experienced Linux users who don't have a lot of time to tinker with their OS every waking moment.

My personal favorite would have to be Gentoo, but my life and the time I have available really makes Gentoo difficult to use as my main distro. My only gripe with Ubuntu is its decision to make you sudo every root command. It's a nice security measure for those not accustomed to such things, but I wish I had the choice during install, rather than having to do a little tinkering after the fact. Anyway, give Ubuntu a try. Chances are that it'll run fine on your system, and get you up and running with Linux in short order.

Distrowatch is also my favorite distro-monitoring site. Some of the others aren't quite as up-to-date.

I`m just another person for ubuntu, easy. you don't have to sudo for all the root commands just do "sudo root passwd" and set a password. the only other thing is all of the development, and librarys for compiling things are not there at the start.

-lowlevelup

Actually, I think you can set your root password by typing:

sudo passwd

The problem with setting your root password is that many of the system settings, when requiring root privileges, will still require your user password, so you will have to remember when you need to enter either password.

If you need to spawn a root shell for a few minutes, just use

sudo su -

and type in your user password.

Edited by Elzair

Yeah, I recommend Ubuntu too, I'm hopefully gonna get a laptop sometime during the summer holidays (summer job and all!!!), and I want to run Ubuntu as my primary OS. I'd highly recommend it.

Here's a list of free stuff you might be intersted in if and when you switch to Linux:

http://www.linux.org/apps/index.html

Enjoy!

Incase you didn't know intel iBooks are coming out early this summer IIRC.