Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cusefan14324

Help with my website

9 posts in this topic

ok i wrote a website in html and i have it in a notepad folder on my computer..i want to publish it for free..i have a host that said they will host it for free but i have no clue wat im doing..can someone guide me and help me publish this thing..FOR FREE!!

I thought most of the freebie hosts will have like netFTP to make it easy for people. I hade a decent free host a while back that had this (along with lots of other great features) IIRC it was tekcities. They had this feature, along with a n00b tute.

If this is a friend that's hosting it for you: FTP. You can connect to an FTP using Internet Explorer; ask your friend what address its at.

If this is a professional site (Geocities, Angelfire, etc.): They typically either use FTP, or have a file manager on their site. You know how you can upload attachments in emails in Hotmal/Yahoo and the like? Well, the way you upload data to their site works much in the same way.

If you have an option use sFTP instead of FTP or (this might be too much) FTP over SSH. Otherwise your cerdentials will be passed in the clear (as plain text) so anyone between you and the host could grab it and cause trouble.

If you are a Windows user, which I am assuming you are since you mentioned notepad, WinSCP is a freeware sFTP client.

If you're not using an FTP client, like WFTP or CuteFTP or (and I recommend this one) SmartFTP, then simply use Internet Explorer and use the following format:

ftp://username:password@domain.com

That should set you straight. :)

For free hosting I recomend Here

No ads

Flash tuts

FTP

Edited by zal91

For free hosting I recomend Here

No ads

Flash tuts

FTP

And I reccomend Bravenet since it is really simple. The banner on top gets to be annoying so I'd check Zal91's first, but if you find it too complicated try Bravenet.

Ok, maybe you need alil more help...read all the above find a host...

make sure you rename that html file to index.html so its displayed by default when someone goes to the URL.

Anything else you need?

Edited by H5N1