Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thef007

LCD Billboards

54 posts in this topic

Umm, hate to be the obvious one, but I don't think these are "LCD Billboards." Wouldn't it more likely be thousands of tiny LEDs?

Now that I look at the boards, i'm beginning to wonder if they are giant LCDs or LEDs. In fact i'm still in question about how they send the images or video to the screens itself.

yeah, im pretty sure they are LED's.

about the phone line....a woman i talked to that edits and submits the pictures (same company "Lamar")said she uses a program to replace the pictures all over the internet. it may be different here i guess.

thef007-

One of the largest manufacturers of these types of signs is Adaptive Microsystems.

http://www.adaptivedisplays.com/

They sell a remote that used to cost around $60.00 that can reprogram these things via an infrared signal. This is obviously susceptible to abuse.

Be sure you view this:

http://www.adaptivedisplays.com/Media/97036020.pdf

http://www.adaptivedisplays.com/Media/97040001.pdf

I would love to get my hands on one of those remotes. :ninja:

Also, look here:

http://www.led-signs.com/

http://www.alpha-american.com

Edited by m2mike

I think for easy of use, it could have dsl hook up. As impractical as this may sound, it would make it easier for an app to be able to send it right throught the internet withuot need to dial it up. I think the only way is to grab you Bat-Lock Pick Kit and go for the inside. Just imagine what we could find out with a telephone number or ip.

EDIT: becuase I can't spell for beans

Edited by phreakblaze

OK...either one of two things are possible with this phone line i found in the control box of the one here...either it is a non-active line or it may be routed thru the PBX system of the building. (the billboard is attached to the local chamber of commerce building). I attached my buttend to it and got no dial tone, but I could get talk-battery...dialing ANI did nothing. I'm still kindof new to phreaking, someone give me some ideas for this weekend's excursion.

yeah just for referance there not lcds there actually arrays of leds clusterd in rgb

This seems to be the appropriate thread for this. I have an OmniRemote database that can emulate the functions of the Betabrite 1036 remote control. If you guys are interested, then post here and I will give a link.

Hacking BetaBrite LED Signs

i got the remote control off ebay for $10.00 some time go

How many times have you used it effectively?

i have used it one time at the bowling alley

Edited by Hell Reapers

i think i saw this on one of the hack tv eps? didnt really show how, just showed a person ( 1 or 2 or 3 ) doing it?

OK...either one of two things are possible with this phone line i found in the control box of the one here...either it is a non-active line or it may be routed thru the PBX system of the building. (the billboard is attached to the local chamber of commerce building). I attached my buttend to it and got no dial tone, but I could get talk-battery...dialing ANI did nothing. I'm still kindof new to phreaking, someone give me some ideas for this weekend's excursion.

I'm assuming this is a "dry line". No voltage, just signalling. In the TNI box these are marked off with little red caps, and are used mainly for alarms.

Did you try disconnecting the line completely? Is it possible it only 'gets signals' when its being updated?

This seems to be the appropriate thread for this. I have an OmniRemote database that can emulate the functions of the Betabrite 1036 remote control. If you guys are interested, then post here and I will give a link.

I could make use of that. I have OmniRemote on my old Palm VIIx. Not sure about the range of the IR transmitter though.

I am sure that the signs in question are the large "LED Billboards" that companys like "Lamar Advertising" have up. There are now I think, 3 in the city I live in and the first thing I thought when I saw one wasnt "oh look how cool" OR "Wow thats awesome" infact the first thing I thought was " How can I hack that to use it to my advantage?"

This guy with the remote thing I believe has it all wrong. Those little signs are well....gay. And hacking if you want to call buying the remote and changing it "hacking" is to me childs play.

The signs I have seen around here have a large box on them. What is in this box ? I hope to find out soon. I will upload some pictures later of the signs and these boxes I am referring to. About all the recon work I have done so far is drving by and looking to see if I couldnt figure out how to change it. They may be controlled from somewhere or controlled via wireless as stated before but I have no idea as of yet. This large box might be a way to change it there. I dont know but, I hope to find out. If anyone had any information on the signs please let me know.

Has anyone ever hacked an LCD billboard?

My old school had one, and as a senor prank I was going to control it for the day.

BUT

I looked around at my schools network, felt so bad for them, then wrote a security 40 page security report on how to fix their problems.

I am sure that the signs in question are the large "LED Billboards" that companys like "Lamar Advertising" have up. There are now I think, 3 in the city I live in and the first thing I thought when I saw one wasnt "oh look how cool" OR "Wow thats awesome" infact the first thing I thought was " How can I hack that to use it to my advantage?"

This guy with the remote thing I believe has it all wrong. Those little signs are well....gay. And hacking if you want to call buying the remote and changing it "hacking" is to me childs play.

The signs I have seen around here have a large box on them. What is in this box ? I hope to find out soon. I will upload some pictures later of the signs and these boxes I am referring to. About all the recon work I have done so far is drving by and looking to see if I couldnt figure out how to change it. They may be controlled from somewhere or controlled via wireless as stated before but I have no idea as of yet. This large box might be a way to change it there. I dont know but, I hope to find out. If anyone had any information on the signs please let me know.

We just got a few LED outdoor bill boards in my town. Everyone I've seen has two lines running to it. Power and phone. Wonder if someone could figure out just how many phone numbers LAMAR is paying for and if they have DSL on them?

If they're anything like the ones I'm used to, there is NO infrared remote control capabilities. The IR remotes are generally model- or brand-specific. And as a rule of thumb, if it's more than a couple feet across and/or doesn't look like a scrolling marquee, it's not gonna work with a handheld remote.

Most older, larger ones I've seen use direct serial or a modem, along with proprietary software. Newer ones I'm familiar with have some sort of embedded computer with Ethernet or modem connectivity, and often use IP with proprietary software.

Key words there: Proprietary Software. You *need* to find the app(s) before you can do much of anything useful... unless you just want to turn it off, see what happens when it's power-cycled or the data connection is dropped, etc. Research, research, research. (And perhaps a bit of SEing)

According to this, Lamar has been buying from Daktronics. Might give you a jumping-off point.