Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thef007

LCD Billboards

54 posts in this topic

I have never even heard of an LCD billboard. Are those the big screens in like Times Square and places like that? The only thing I have seen is like error messages and BSODs.

heh, you must not get out that much GreyFox. They are regular billboards except LCD instead of made of wood and whatever else. :)

heh, you must not get out that much GreyFox. They are regular billboards except LCD instead of made of wood and whatever else. :)

Ive never seen one either, perhaps they are only in certain states?

Like greyfox, ive only seen those big screens in time square, and other places. But no LCD billboards.

they just put one up in my town.....the box running it is 4 feet from the ground and its all wireless

thef007-

I have never seen one of these either, but I like the sound of it. You say it's wireless? I might have to hunt one of these down. If it's wireless, it's probubly pretty vulnerable. Post any info you find.

First time I saw an LCD billboard in my life was a few months ago, when I had gone to Toronto.

I was all in awe. Sad, but true. ^_^

went ue'ing tonight to the billboard. im starting to think that it might not be wireless...not a problem. the company in charge edits all ads over the internet, the woman who edits says that the ad's submitted aren't even screened.

thef007-

went ue'ing tonight to the billboard. im starting to think that it might not be wireless...not a problem.    the company in charge edits all ads over the internet, the woman who edits says that the ad's submitted aren't even screened.

thef007-

There's sooooo many possiblities here, man. One thing I would def do though, is double check the wireless thing. Even if the board itself isn't controled via wifi, it may be on a network that does have an access point. It makes the process that much easier.

You know what? You should take some pictures, man. I want to see this. Take some of any wires, boxs, and whatever looks like it has something to do with it, too. I'd like to see it, and I'm sure a lot of other people here would, too.

yeah, im going to do some se'ing and figure out what program they use to send the pictures.

how do i post a picture up on here?

thef007-

What company maintains/owns these signs, do they have a page?

here are some pictures of the billboard for anyone who is interested.

thef007-

post-179-1146253373_thumb.jpg

post-179-1146253390_thumb.jpg

post-179-1146253404_thumb.jpg

argh...they burn my retina's at night-time...there's only one of those around here and when i "happened" upon it with the control box open, there was a telephone line plugged into it...and no results from a frequency scanner for possible wireless connection. Wireless...yes, probably in more populated areas.

argh...they burn my retina's at night-time...there's only one of those around here and when i "happened" upon it with the control box open, there was a telephone line plugged into it...and no results from a frequency scanner for possible wireless connection.  Wireless...yes, probably in more populated areas.

Did you happen to have a beige box and a ANAC on hand? Or a little war-dialing?

i'm planning on going back after i get off of my call rotation (damn job). I've got my buttend and my other toy's packed up for the planned excursion.

man..so many people havent see lcd screens ?!?? Go to Vegas !!

I know the sign at my store runs from within the internal network... Which is somehow ran through the entire corporation around the U.S., or atleast Michigan.

thats interesting....are the boards in michigan run by the same company?

thef007-

This is all I got...

post-1961-1146259830_thumb.jpg

There are several LCB billboards here in Erie PA. In fact they are called cystal vision sets if i recall correctly.

The device is connected to a phone line where the billboard company (in my case Lamar) sends updated pages to the device by dialing into it. There's a form of authorization with a four digit pin and the updater runs. One can access the device by dialing into and dialing the 4 digit pin. Once inside you can only do minimal tchanges like change the order of the slides, the time intervals, etc.

I found this information from my friend who's father works at the advertising company. Kind of interesting.

Edited by frenchie

Umm, hate to be the obvious one, but I don't think these are "LCD Billboards." Wouldn't it more likely be thousands of tiny LEDs?